Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student already struggling

Options
  • 14-10-2012 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey all, wondering if anyone has any advice for me, I'm a mature student (45) doing a ba in applied social studies. I'm already floundering in college, everything seems to be coming at me, first a sociology assignment, then an essay, I seem to spend all my time on one subject and leaving the others aside. I feel I'm falling behind, can't get a handle on this bloody essay. How do I get myself together, I feel like giving up already. Has anyone any advice for me? I suffer from depression and bipolar, I went straight from spending seven weeks as a inpatient in St Pats to starting college the week after I came out. Have I taken on too much? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are you a full time student?

I work full time and am doing a masters part time and struggle with what you describe.

Clear goals tend to help me, I prioritise what I need to and then ignore the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Totalelf

Thanks for reply, yes I am full time. My main worry is if I concentrate on what's due, is everything else going to suffer. I spent three hours today writing a paragraph. I'm getting so down about it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

It's always around this time of year that the essays get piled on. I usually have a little calendar printed off which I have stuck under the keyboard. I put down the due dates of my assignments so I know what is due when. Just scratch them off when its done. Time management is usually the biggest issue for many matures who go back.

Step away from the essay for a little bit. Staring at it right now isn't helping and after 3 hours you're going to feel burned out.
    Set aside an hour for one subject. Read a chapter or review your notes. Set the next one for a different subject doing the same thing. Try not to do more than 3 hours of study in a row. Take a break for about 30 mins or so to let yourself relax and absorb what you've been reading/working on.

In a day or so take a look at the essay again. First break it down. What are they asking - facts or theory. Do some brainstorming and see what the strongest points are and what you know most about/feel comfortable with. Work out from there. Usually, I find that doing the intro paragraph is easier to do after you have figured out what your going to discuss, so leave it until later.
    If it's a 2000 word essay, I usually keep 100 for the intro and 100 for the conclusion, breaking the last 1800 to be broken into the points etc.

Take everything in steps. Don't try do everything in one go. If you're still struggling, talk to your lecturer about the topic - they should be able to explain the question or give you some guidance on your ideas. Same with tutors if you have them. It's what they are there for.

Good luck

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Totalelf wrote: »
    Thanks for reply, yes I am full time. My main worry is if I concentrate on what's due, is everything else going to suffer. I spent three hours today writing a paragraph. I'm getting so down about it all.

Now that's just too much.

What I tend to do is to have a list of my deadlines and prioritise them.

I study proportionate to those deadlines.

My masters is online so I've weekly conference calls, discussion boards and required input for those, so I set time aside for those.

I always break assignments down into introduction, real content and then a summation, helps me make it less onerous.

Does that make any sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dozydora

I know exactly where you are coming from. I too suffer with depression and found my first year at Ucc very hard but lo and behold I am actually into my 2nd year now and it has made a huge difference to my life.
    Firstly, regarding your essay, break it down as already suggested. If your essay is 2000 words put aside say 300 for intro and 300 for conclusion which leaves you with 1,400. Then look at what the body of your essay should contain. You more than likely have a few arguements here that you need to expand on. Just say you had four arguements/theories, or whatever, that would be 350 words for each topic/idea. This, I feel, is much more manageable than having a figure of 2000 words on your brain. Psychologically it is much easier to do when you break it down this way. It also means you can decide to do one part at a sitting and before you know it, it is done.
    Secondly, don't do what I did, give up and then decide to go back which meant I was under more pressure than ever to get everything in and also had to repeat a few exams in the Summer because I hadn't been there for the "continuous assessments'. Do EVERYTHING as it is given, regardless of how bad you might think it is, just hand it in. Any marks you pick up before the exams in Spring is a huge bonus, plus psychologically it makes everything more 'doable'. I had submitted most of my essays which is what saved me in the end.
    Thirdly, you are lucky because you have discovered you are having problems
    already which means you have plenty of time to correct it and to 'fix' it. I missed over 3 months of college and thought the task impossible but, with the advise and encouragement of my children, I struggled on and as I have already said, lo and behold, here I am, and just to point out, I am no genius and am in my fifties, so that should give you hope.
    So, don't give up. Go down to the Mature Students Coffee room (Windle building) for a cuppa and a chat any chance you get and you will soon realise that you are not the only one experiencing these doubts. Most people are just the same as you, you are one of the lucky ones in that you are clever enough to realise it, others, not so lucky, have yet to discover it.

• Advertisement

Thank you all so much for your advice, I feel a bit better about it today, I'm chipping away at the essay bit by bit. Spoke to some of the others in my class today, seems we are all in the same boat. Have an appointment to see the essay doctor on weds, so I'll bring what I have written so far and see what he says. Wish I had the damn thing done. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

Hang in there, no body said it was going to be easy.

Dont dwell to long on one topic if your stuck, move onto the next section and fall back later on what you left out. You will be surprised how simple things can be the second time around.

As someone has already said, prioritise what has to be done. Most of your class will be feeling the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Hey totalelf,

I can empathise with the St. Pats situation, spending 7 weeks there and then straight into college would literally be like coming out of a bubble and is quite a progression.

Keep going, hope things pick up.

Am trying to keep going, but mood is so low it's hard to find the motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aspire1

From my experience negotiating the exam/assignments cycle that is college life is a bit of a game. Don't get yourself bogged down on one essay. There are going to be some subjects you are better at than others, you don't have to be brilliant at everything. Rather than get bogged down in my weaker ones I accepted I was going to drop some marks which I could make up in other subjects, once you get a bit of practice it does get easier. Always make an attempt though and hand it in no matter how lame you may think your attempt is. Every mark helps.

..and as you've discovered by talking to your classmates you're not the only one who's feeling like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'd also suggest if there is support in the college ask for it.

This could be like assistance on writing essays, a mature student adviser, perhaps if needed counselling, also just having a quick chat with the lecturer; some lecturers will give you very good guidance.

Also if it gets too much - don't be afraid to ask a lecturer for a weeks extension. But try your hardest to get everything done first but just if it does get too much.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement