Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black shapeless polyester trousers are evil and should be burned

• 15-10-2012 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Noel Dempseys Den

After some months away from the Fair City, I travelled into Dublin from the 'burbs last week. It felt familar straight away from the bus queue going in, with the black Penneys trousers everywhere.

Assuming that at some time, black shapeless polyester trousers will be deemed to be about the worst thing that anyone could ever wear, what would you replace them with? Objectively, they are gak and flatter no-one. Ever.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Not really a fan of them either, they remind me of a uniform of some sort. I mostly wear skirts and dresses to work so I guess I would replace them with that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I have to wear these sartorial abominations for work as part of a uniform. I hate them. They make larger-bottomed women look humongous, and girls with no bottoms look entirely shapeless.

Burn them, I say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I have 2 pairs, both back-ups when I forgot to bring in my normal pairs (part-time work, full-time college). They're annoying because they're a bit itchy! But burn them? A lot of people just need cheap black trousers and have no obligation to wear formal suits, blouses etc..just trousers for a uniform. If you don't have a lot of money then they are the best option. Leopard print leggings with a muffin top hanging over are MUCH more of an eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Hate them too- never wear them outside work! But at €4 they're grand

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Haha, I bought two pairs out of Penneys for starting my new job and think they are great for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Ilyana wrote: »
    I have to wear these sartorial abominations for work as part of a uniform. I hate them. They make larger-bottomed women look humongous, and girls with no bottoms look entirely shapeless.

Burn them, I say!

Yeah, I had to wear them when I was a waitress, hated them, but I wasn't buying a flattering, 'stylish' pair of trousers when I was going to smell of chips anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

Some girls/women think black trousers are staple office wear when you don't have to wear a uniform. Hello! You can wear lots of different things to work and still look smart. Just takes a little bit of effort. It comes across as a bit lazy to me. It's like oh it's only work so I'll just throw on black trousers and a top. Some don't realise how sloppy it looks. Especially when the trousers are past their day and the bum is no longer where it's supposed to be.

I take pride in my appearance and that means all the time. What you wear to work says a lot about you :) I do get stick for making an effort sometimes from the black trousers can't be bothered crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I wish that was the case as I'm more a dress or skirt person but currently work in a bar. Black trousers only. In fact all my jobs in customer service demanded them. Hateful yokes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Noel Dempseys Den

ArtyC wrote: »
    I wish that was the case as I'm more a dress or skirt person but currently work in a bar. Black trousers only. In fact all my jobs in customer service demanded them. Hateful yokes!!

Now we're getting at the nub of the problem. Those who inflict black trousers on others are certainly hateful yokes.

Perhaps Gok Wan should come to Dublin, round up the unimaginative tossers and give them a crash course in good taste? :D

Channel 4, please note!!!

ArtyC wrote: »

Yeah I've been there myself in a couple of jobs when black trousers are part of the uniform. That can't be helped.

• Advertisement

I hate the penneys ones, but a-wear do nice ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think people in this country can dress up well when going out or in their spare time. But for whatever reason there seems to be belief that the most horrific stuff is acceptable for work. The uniforms are often manky (Dunnes one of the worst offenders), badly fitting, non-ironed trousers, possibly some ugly plastic shoes and don't get me started on slept-in look of men's suits. The difference is never more apparent than if you are flying to the continent during the week and do some people watching in Dublin and in other major European airports.

While I agree about the polyester trousers, it is the more formal men's wear that is the most offending. I would prefer to see men (salesmen especially) casually dressed than in creased, stretched, stained cheap suits. /rant off

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think people in this country can dress up well when going out or in their spare time. But for whatever reason there seems to be belief that the most horrific stuff is acceptable for work. The uniforms are often manky (Dunnes one of the worst offenders), badly fitting, non-ironed trousers, possibly some ugly plastic shoes and don't get me started on slept-in look of men's suits. The difference is never more apparent than if you are flying to the continent during the week and do some people watching in Dublin and in other major European airports.

While I agree about the polyester trousers, it is the more formal men's wear that is the most offending. I would prefer to see men (salesmen especially) casually dressed than in creased, stretched, stained cheap suits. /rant off

It's really an attitude of "ah sure it's only work, no one will see me". It's girls and guys that are guilty of this. I don't see the difference between getting dressed for work and getting dressed to meet the girls for lunch at the weekend. You should always put your best foot forward in my book. How you dress portrays an image. If you can't really be bothered and wear the same black trousers week in week out, don't bother with hair and make up it gives the impression that you aren't too bothered about the job. Dressing smartly, paying attention to good grooming gives the impression that you are smart and can be trusted with detail. Managers do judge you on how you dress. :) it's not fair but it's a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

I used to have to wear them for work in Dunnes Stores and hated them! They could not be made to look good (especially accompanied by the shirt, and when I started working on the deli - the white smock thing. UGH!) I never made an effort going in Dunnes especially once I started on the Deli - hairnet and chicken grease everywhere! I'd never wear them now, and my new job requires a suit - I wear a suit skirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Yeah, I had to wear them when I was a waitress, hated them, but I wasn't buying a flattering, 'stylish' pair of trousers when I was going to smell of chips anyway!

I'm a waitress at the weekends and our uniform is black pants with a white blouse and black waistcoat and tie. I look like a penguin! But as much as I hate it, I refuse to invest in expensive work clothes for a part time job.

But I agree on the 'career' clothes thing. you will get judged on how much effort you make. It is my dream to buy all my work clothes in Ted Baker and Karen Miller when I graduate :D

Ilyana wrote: »

I'm a waitress at the weekends and our uniform is black pants with a white blouse and black waistcoat and tie. I look like a penguin! But as much as I hate it, I refuse to invest in expensive work clothes for a part time job.

But I agree on the 'career' clothes thing. you will get judged on how much effort you make. It is my dream to buy all my work clothes in Ted Baker and Karen Miller when I graduate :D

Ah, just thinking back to a few years ago when I could afford karen millen :) even if we can't afford ted baker and karen millen now, in the jobs where we're not required to wear a uniform we can still dress very well :)

I think my aversion to black trousers are from my days in part time jobs where I had to wear them. Now that I have a choice about what I can wear I make the most of it.

Advertisement