Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to forget about things

• 15-10-2012 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

I feel alright myself now, thankfully. But there have been a few times over the last few weeks where I think I'm just going to implode.
    Just wondering how people deal with that sort of crap.
    I good session in the gym can do it I find, or training at whatever sport.
    Sometimes I just want to get out of my head but can't. Alcohol can do it I guess but probably just adding fuel to the next fire.
    A psychologist or psychiatrist perhaps, but I couldn't see myself going to one personally. I wouldn't feel comfortable. The things in your mind you just wish you could delete, surely there's away to take your mind off them if even temporarily excluding alcohol and recreational drugs?

Do any of the senior boardsies have good advice for this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

A good sex session normally works wonders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

What are you trying to forget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Drink or head trauma or both

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Imagine the person giving you trouble as very small. Then put them in a box and close the lid. Another one is to put a glass Pyrex bowl over them, that shuts them up. They still jump around but you can't hear them.

Try that op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

0066ad wrote: »
    Just stressful things that sometimes take over your mind, if you know what I mean... (or am I bat **** crazy, I hope not)

• Advertisement

uberalles wrote: »
    Image the person giving you trouble as very small. Then put them in a box and close the lid. Another one is to put a glass Pyrex bowl over them, that shuts them up. They still jump around but you can't hear them.

Try that op
    I will try that! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Wait until you turn 50. You'll start a thread on how to remember things. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

If you have a good friend talk to them about what's going on and preferably a friend who won't sugar coat the advice. I've had mental health issues on and off since my teens and now that I'm 31 it has slightly improved but it's like I'm just waiting for the next bump in the road. I've turned to drink and drugs which didn't help but it was a temporary measure.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Wait until you turn 50. You'll start a thread on how to remember things. :(
    Ah 50s the new 40 as they say:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I feel alright myself now, thankfully. But there have been a few times over the last few weeks where I think I'm just going to implode.
    Just wondering how people deal with that sort of crap.
    I good session in the gym can do it I find, or training at whatever sport.
    Sometimes I just want to get out of my head but can't. Alcohol can do it I guess but probably just adding fuel to the next fire.
    A psychologist or psychiatrist perhaps, but I couldn't see myself going to one personally. I wouldn't feel comfortable. The things in your mind you just wish you could delete, surely there's away to take your mind off them if even temporarily excluding alcohol and recreational drugs?

if you just carry on doing normal things you'll forget about stuff

that's whats happening when you go to the gym or training - you're just doing normal things, they're not magically erasing anything from your mind

whatever you're thinking about will probably come back now & again, usually if you're bored or that but over time this will get less frequent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I see it like a scary movie or a roller coaster. Just remember to hold on tight and before long it will be over, you'll feel better and the rest of the world will be there waiting for you.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    if you just carry on doing normal things you'll forget about stuff

that's whats happening when you go to the gym or training - you're just doing normal things, they're not magically erasing anything from your mind

whatever you're thinking about will probably come back now & again, usually if you're bored or that but over time this will get less frequent
    This is completely a genuine hypothetical situation now but imagine you witnessed a murder or something traumatic as a child though and you went years without thinking about it and then it started playing on your mind and started messing up your head. How could you stop it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

This is completely a genuine hypothetical situation now but imagine you witnessed a murder or something traumatic as a child though and you went years without thinking about it and then it started playing on your mind and started messing up your head. How could you stop it?
    You really would need professional counselling to deal with a traumatic memory that has been repressed for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

For me it's swallow it down, drink a bit more, and it gets easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

There are some things that you will never be able to wipe from your memory. For me some stuff that I experienced cloud even my happiest moments. Life isn't always fair or goes the way you want but we're only human and we have emotions that can overwhelm us from time to time.

1ZRed wrote: »
    For me it's swallow it down, drink a bit more, and it gets easier.
    You are talking about memories ........... aren't you, Redzer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

0066ad wrote: »
    Trying to forget why he started this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

6-1
    Never forget.......

You are talking about memories ........... aren't you, Redzer?

Very cheap shot :p

Could've cum up with something better to stick me with tbh! :rolleyes:

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Don't people join the French Foreign Legion to forget anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭TheBoss!

The more you try and not think about something, the more you will think about it. Like, if you lie in bed and try and not think about Yellow Mini Coopers, ALL you will think about is Yellow fcuking Mini Coopers ripping around your head. So, what you really have to do, is make a decision about that stuff that's on your mind.

Can you change it, do you need to do something or are you powerless over whatever the fcuk it is. Once you decide that and stick to it, it will all stop buzzing round your head. Trying not to think of something you haven't made a final decision on is fruitless though, as that is why it's bugging you.

If it's stuff you feel guilty about, fcuk that noise. Unless you have killed one of your neighbours and buried them under the patio, life is too short to be worrying about crap. Not a sin to make a mistake, just not to learn from it. Oh and wear lots of suncreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

uberalles wrote: »
    Imagine the person giving you trouble as very small. Then put them in a box and close the lid. Another one is to put a glass Pyrex bowl over them, that shuts them up. They still jump around but you can't hear them.

Try that op

Classic Sabrina Spellman solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Are these the thoughts when you are randomly doing something like making a cuppa or brushing your teeth and these horrid thoughts/memories from the past jump into the brain?

These are the bane of my life at the moment - I call my ones 'fcuking eejit' memories - they invariably make me feel like an idiot. I have been aware of them for a good while. Sometime soon, I am going to find a psycho-therapist, to teach me a method of dealing with them or stopping them. There is obviously some sort of chain reaction going on somewhere, but I can't see it.

You really would need professional counselling to deal with a traumatic memory that has been repressed for years.
    What would they do though. Just talk about it with you or do they have ways of wiping it from your mind?

What would they do though. Just talk about it with you or do they have ways of wiping it from your mind?

I think it's more along the lines that they help you approach and deal with it. I doubt you'd ever forget, but you'd make your peace with it and then move on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭TheBoss!

Depends on the shrinks. I'd suggest these might be what you're looking for:

http://tinyurl.com/8dq374o

I'm not exactly sure, Teddy. Get you to talk about it, acknowledge your feelings and help you to deal with your emotions (anger, guilt etc)?

If you have suppressed a memory it means that you were unable to deal with your emotions at the time, if the memory resurfaces you need to deal with it or it will always be an issue. Maybe try the PI forum. I think there is a psychology forum too - try that or PM one of the mods.

TheBoss! wrote: »
    Depends on the shrinks. I'd suggest these might be what you're looking for: http://tinyurl.com/8dq374o
    What's this? I know it's MiB but I've never seen it.

Depends on the type of counselling - they are as many different flavours of counselling as they are... sweets (not being flippant). Not all counselling is the same & they can be a huge difference in the training that different kinds have e.g. 2 years versus 7 years.

Something like CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) - is a two way street of work, with the therapist giving you homework essentially, and teaching you how to work with your mind.

Whereas the counselling in something like Rape Crisis Centre or 1 in 4 - is entirely client (humanist) based. It goes at the client's pace - if the client takes 5 years to get to the crux of a problem that is ok.

I think the general point of counselling et al - is that it takes the power away from the memory.

Go over to the counselling/psychology/psychotherapy forum - and ask some of the people there the process. They are the best ones to explain what counselling/therapy is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

personally i don't know

i'd try doing as i said before & just continue with doing what i you usually do, if it doesn't get any better try something else

maybe try talking to someone about it & if the both of them didn't help it. I'd have to go and try something different again

which could be a psychiatrist or, maybe just even a doctor but i'd rather not rush into taking meds. or that unless i needed to

but all that depends on the level of the problem

for you i'd keep doing whatever takes your mind off it, but it depends on how much exactly you're getting effected by it. If you're being effected nearly all the time you're awake, going for a 2 hour work out isn't a whole load of help & you might want to start thinking about another option

no one here will actually know, even if they've experienced something like you said, as what works for one person isn't guaranteed to work for another

What's this? I know it's MiB but I've never seen it.

It is the 'mind blanker' thingy. They used it to wipe people's minds when they had seen aliens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Throw yourself into your work. Everybody has skeletons in their closet, your legacy will be determined by how you overcome adversity. Don't let it dictate your actions in life

I'm not exactly sure, Teddy. Get you to talk about it, acknowledge your feelings and help you to deal with your emotions (anger, guilt etc)?

If you have suppressed a memory it means that you were unable to deal with your emotions at the time, if the memory resurfaces you need to deal with it or it will always be an issue. Maybe try the PI forum. I think there is a psychology forum too - try that or PM one of the mods.
    In don't think I'd be capable of walking into a psychiatrists tbh. That was a hypothetical situation, I was just wondering.

Surely though back in the stone age days people would have had ways of not caring about such things and gotten over them. There would be no need for counseling?

What do most people do to forget about everything.
    Go on a holiday I guess and just keep busy?

In don't think I'd be capable of walking into a psychiatrists tbh. That was a hypothetical situation, I was just wondering.

Surely though back in the stone age days people would have had ways of not caring about such things and gotten over them. There would be no need for counseling?
    Less complicated time - smaller social groups, no religion, no morals imposed by society etc.

• Advertisement

There always was counselling - but called by different names. And the stone age comment is a back handed insult to yourself... Be careful - pressure like that on the brain is exhausting & hard to cope with. And then when it goes, it is like as if it was never there, until the next time.

A psychiatrist wouldn't be really what you are need probably - as they prescribe drugs, and rarely counsel per se. Start with your doctor or go over here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=604 on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Merkin wrote: »
    A good sex session normally works wonders

I agree, and it's even better if you have company.

Failing that, there's always alcohol and drugs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

The Roy Keane method, a long walk talking to the dog.

SomeFool wrote: »
    The Roy Keane method, a long walk talking to the dog.

Ah no - it obviously didn't work. Try it with the cat :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I drink to forget. And then I forget to stop. Alles Klar TeddyBoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

What do most people do to forget about everything.
    Go on a holiday I guess and just keep busy?

If you can, go speak to a psychologist - or if you're not comfortable with that try talking to someone with whom you are comfortable.

Don't use alcohol as it will only exacerbate your situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

I usually get hammered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

It's a psychologist's job to make people comfortable enough to talk about extremely personal stuff.

However, there are some self-help options included over in 604 (Science >Psychology) - have a look at this.

How to forget about things

I try not to. I try to incorporate the good AND the bad about my life into who and what I am. I try to face the bad - not lock it in a metaphorical box to be avoided and forgotten - which tends to work in the short term but they come back eventually and often worse for the delay. Best to face the bad now than let it grow and fester. Treating an injury early is always better than treating it after infection has set in.

As for _how_ to do this - that depends on what exactly the problems are you are retreating from and so any advice would have to be witheld for more details. I do however find that vipassana mindfulness meditation - which is a meditation technique sans the usual woo woo spiritual nonsense that comes with many things under the banner of meditation - helps greatly. I practice it a lot and I even do a class on it which I have found people telling me has helped them with things like stress, addiction, concentration issues, sleep problems, motivation and much more.

However mindfulness meditation will not help you take your mind off such things. The technique is more inclined to teach you how to put yourself outside those things and contemplate your own thoughts and feelings about them impartially. As one writer put it - it trains you not to calm the rough seas of your mind but to hold yourself above the rough seas and observe it and learn from it - and what it means to you - so as to better help you travel it in your own life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

weed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Dr. Dennis Leary offers some practical advice.

Seriously though, I do know what you mean. I think that many people develop a sort of internal turrets syndrome, an internal dialogue where they tell unwelcome thoughts or memories to fcuk off. The unwelcome memory will probably try to dominate your subconscious until you confront and deal with it.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Well I guess it had to happen. As the median age goes into the upper air ............ AH gets serious. All this anal thinking surely is for O&O. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

This technique should be taught from a very early age. Works wonders, I use it all the time. Just say to yourself inside your head:

"SHUT THE FUCK UP!"

Keep saying it until the thoughts stop. Believe me. I'm qualified as a psychotherapist, hypnotherapist and NLP practitioner, and the above is one of the most effective ways of stopping bad thoughts. If the thought comes back, say it again. Rinse and repeat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Bergkamp 10

Funny I'm having the same problems. Usually it affects me more at night trying to sleep, by keeping me awake.

I'm only young but I would strongly disagree with using drink to deal with it. Been there really, alot of my issues are from drinking too much and ****ing things up badly. The frequency of these incidents start getting worse, and the guilt and shame worse as well. I think I overthink things and need to relax a little. Drinking can relax you slightly but when the next day comes and you cant remember things, find out what you done and get that black cloud of depression its best not to use drink as a crutch. I'm just glad I'm realising this at my age, hopefully I can start practising it in reality.

Confab wrote: »
    This technique should be taught from a very early age. Works wonders, I use it all the time. Just say to yourself inside your head:

"SHUT THE FUCK UP!"

Keep saying it until the thoughts stop. Believe me. I'm qualified as a psychotherapist, hypnotherapist and NLP practitioner, and the above is one of the most effective ways of stopping bad thoughts. If the thought comes back, say it again. Rinse and repeat.

Are you serious?

I wonder if it would work :confused::eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement