Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First competition pistol

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Sorry scroll down the shooting threads, 3rd page I think, Thread called sig/gsg 1911

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

cw67irl wrote: »
    Hammerli Xesse, Smith and Wesson, Ruger Mk3, Buckmark,

These are all worth a good look!

I have to admit they are great looking piostols but i would be looking for what in the inside than the outside of them, ya could have the best looking pistol in the world, but that dosen't matter to sh#t if you cant get good groups or get comfortable with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I have to admit they are great looking piostols but i would be looking for what in the inside than the outside of them, ya could have the best looking pistol in the world, but that dosen't matter to sh#t if you cant get good groups or get comfortable with it

They're all great pistols and have won plenty of competitions between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

cw67irl wrote: »
    If your set on a 1911 clone go for the gsg version its a much better pistol, If you do buy the gsg get the version with the rail underneath the barrel, That allows you to mount optics like a red dot!!

It might be worth checking with your FO before you buy a 1911 some Supers wont licence them due to their "fullbore or tactical" appearance

I might be wrong but the type of red dot sight that you can attach to the GSG underneath the barrel isn't allowed in competitions. The red dot under the barrel is a laser pointer type thing. It shines a red dot out onto the target and that isn't allowed in competitions if I'm not mistaken.

The sights that are allowed don't project a red dot onto the target, they only project a red dot inside a reticle (reflex sight). You see the red dot in your sights but it doesn't shine onto the target.

On the second point above. A Super can refuse to grant a firearm cert if, in his opinion, :mad: a rifle looks like it is a tactical rifle. There is no such law for pistols. It's a pity that the Super who refused the GSG wasn't aware of this fact.

Again, if I'm wrong with any of this info, please feel free to correct me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Looking at one in Harbour Guns the cradle went around the gsg and "floated" above the slide to house a conventional red dot sight or mini scope.

Im pretty sure your right about not being allowed use a laser though!

• Advertisement

Are the red dots/scopes popular with pistols at the competitions or do they require to use iron sight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

They are permitted in nra bullseye competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Are the red dots/scopes popular with pistols at the competitions or do they require to use iron sight

They are allowed on all small bore pistol competitions held by the NASRPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Red Dot Scopes are allowed in NASRPC competitions, but going forward they will be in their own "Open" category :)

Regards

DB

Scalachi wrote: »
    Red Dot Scopes are allowed in NASRPC competitions, but going forward they will be in their own "Open" category :)

Regards

DB

Is there any competion in ireland that woun't allow them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭clivej

Regards

DB

"......but going forward they will be in their own "Open" category"

Please explain more on this.
    Looks like a trip to Specsavers is on the cards for me :(:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Regards

DB

i think thats only fair!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Is there any competion in ireland that woun't allow them
    Can't use them in ISSF pistol matches - they're iron sights only.

Sparks wrote: »
    Can't use them in ISSF pistol matches - they're iron sights only.

Thanks Sparks, The ISSF do they have any matches with .22lr or are the just full bore or both???
    Thanks

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Thanks Sparks, The ISSF do they have any matches with .22lr or are the just full bore or both???
    Thanks

At international level there's competition with both .22lr and with centrefire. The events are:

*50m free pistol .22lr (Men)
    *25m Pistol .22lr (Women)
    *25m Rapid Fire Pistol .22lr (Men)
    25m Centre-fire Pistol .30-.38 (Men)
    25m Standard Pistol .22lr (Men)
    *10m Air Pistol .177 (Men & Women)

The ones with asterisks are Olympic events. The others are shot at all other levels. Don't ask me why some events are shot by women and some by men, that breakdown has never made sense to me! :)

Here, I haven't heard of any ISSF centrefire match being run but there have been the odd few smallbore ones. Contact Rathdrum Rifle and Pistol Club and they'll let you know when the next ISSF pistol competition is likely to be run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The ISSF matches are also shot in a different manner to the other - all one-handed, for a start. There are some pretty excellent training videos here if you want to take a peek.

Was looking a revlovers and i like the smith & western model 617 .22lr,
    It holds ten rounds and you can get speedloades fairly cheep at $25 each
    That do you guys think?

Was looking a revlovers and i like the smith & western model 617 .22lr,
    It holds ten rounds and you can get speedloades fairly cheep at $25 each
    That do you guys think?

I've fired one, it's a good gun but you won't really be shooting any of the competitions with one...just too slow to load it, trigger pull is hard on it too unless you're shooting it in single action. You'll have to have it plugged to five rounds too.

Blay wrote: »

I've fired one, it's a good gun but you won't really be shooting any of the competitions with one...just too slow to load it, trigger pull is hard on it too unless you're shooting it in single action. You'll have to have it plugged to five rounds too.

Can i not just get it as a restricted firearm???

Can i not just get it as a restricted firearm???

No licences being granted for restricted pistols atm:)

• Advertisement

No licences being granted for restricted pistols atm:)

Are they stoping and starting with these pistol regulations much, because it all sounds point less.

Are they stoping and starting with these pistol regulations much, because it all sounds point less.

Been that way since 2008:)

Been that way since 2008:)

But why then did my F/O said that any Pistol will be restricted even when it is a 5 shot gun that should fall into the un restricted category???

Very confusing :(

But why then did my F/O said that any Pistol will be restricted even when it is a 5 shot gun that should fall into the un restricted category???

Very confusing :(

If it's a 5 round .22 then it's unrestricted. Anything else is restricted.

If it's a 5 round .22 then it's unrestricted. Anything else is restricted.

But sence you sayed that basicly i could only have a 5 shot gun.

Then there cant realy be a restricted licence appart if the firearms are military looking( as far as i know, they dont like tactucal looking firearms)

But sence you sayed that basicly i could only have a 5 shot gun.

Then there cant realy be a restricted licence appart if the firearms are military looking( as far as i know, they dont like tactucal looking firearms)

You can have a 5 shot pistol..if it's a .22lr. If it has a capacity over 5 you have to have it plugged to take 5 rounds

There are restricted licences out there, anyone that had a 9mm, .38 etc before Nov 2008 can keep it on a restricted licence and renew it...but there are no new restricted licences being issued...so no 9mm etc and no .22's over 5 shots.

You can have a 5 shot pistol..if it's a .22lr. If it has a capacity over 5 you have to have it plugged to take 5 rounds

There are restricted licences out there, anyone that had a 9mm, .38 etc before Nov 2008 can keep it on a restricted licence and renew it...but there aren't any new restricted licences being issued...so no 9mm etc and no .22's over 5 shots.

Ya you made your point there, i was trying to say that but ya said it betted than me, do ya think that it will ever change???

Also if for now i can only get unrestricted licence for a .22 pistol, do i have to get a monitor alarm for my house? Seance unrestricted licences don't need to be monitored. Eg i have 3 guns already in my house, so i should only have to get the room that the safe is in alarmed.

I think i am right here but if not let me know.

Ya you made your point there, i was trying to say that but ya said it betted than me, do ya think that it will ever change???

Also if for now i can only get unrestricted licence for a .22 pistol, do i have to get a monitor alarm for my house? Seance unrestricted licences don't need to be monitored. Eg i have 3 guns already in my house, so i should only have to get the room that the safe is in alarmed.

I think i am right here but if not let me know.

Probably won't change for a few years yet.

Technically you shouldn't need a monitored alarm but the superintendent is free to demand one if he decides it's necessary.

Probably won't change for a few years yet.

Technically you shouldn't need a monitored alarm but the superintendent is free to demand one if he decides it's necessary.

Agh, well then my new supper probably demand the whole house alarmed seance we own a b&b and pub, would monitoring the room in instead of a simple alarm not just do???

• Advertisement

Agh, well then my new supper probably demand the whole house alarmed seance we own a b&b and pub, would monitoring the room in instead of a simple alarm not just do???

Guidelines say the 'place' where the firearms are stored has to be covered by a monitored alarm(if you have to get one)..which I presume means the room but most people will just get their whole house covered by it since you're paying the same amount for the monitoring service either way.

Advertisement