Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rep

Options
  • 15-10-2012 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

Any chance of there ever being a rep system on boards?
    It seems to work well on other forums.
    A good way of knowing the trolls.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

We used to have it, it turned out to be a total farce as people completely subverted the system. There were threads where people posted asking for rep, and they in turn dished it out to those who posted after them. It resulted in people having huge amounts of rep in no time at all, rendering the process totally meaningless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Zaph wrote: »
    We used to have it, it turned out to be a total farce as people completely subverted the system. There were threads where people posted asking for rep, and they in turn dished it out to those who posted after them. It resulted in people having huge amounts of rep in no time at all, rendering the process totally meaningless.
    Why not just ban those people?

If anyone asks for rep, ban them or remove their rep?

Personally, I don't really see a need for rep though

Tallon wrote: »
    Why not just ban those people?

If anyone asks for rep, ban them or remove their rep?

Personally, I don't really see a need for rep though

The site's resources can be employed in many more useful ways than having to actively manage a rep system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

The site's resources can be employed in many more useful ways than having to actively manage a rep system.
    That they can, just giving an example of a way around the subverts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

won't be making a comeback, any solution to rep will have to be a custom in-house built one, we're focusing on more pressing issues at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

won't be making a comeback, any solution to rep will have to be a custom in-house built one, we're focusing on more pressing issues at the moment.
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds promising. Any exclusives for me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Thanks for the reply. Sounds promising. Any exclusives for me :p
    None that I can speak publicly about, watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,136 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

None that I can speak publicly about, watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

While it's not on your "usercard" next to your posts, thanks number to thanked posts to post ratio is a good indication of how decent a poster is. That's a good indication of "rep" I suppose.

While it's not on your "usercard" next to your posts, thanks number to thanked posts to post ratio is a good indication of how decent a poster is. That's a good indication of "rep" I suppose.
    Ah in place like AH though it's more of an indicator of puns and that type of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

That would be a good indication of thanks whoring tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Is it possible that any bans, infractions etc that a poster has incurred be visible on their public profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Not really, I have a load of thanks from YLYL and I'm not even that good a poster.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

LizT wrote: »
    Not really, I have a load of thanks from YLYL and I'm not even that good a poster.

+rep for honesty and humility

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Is it possible that any bans, infractions etc that a poster has incurred be visible on their public profile?

Absolutely not. They're visible to mods and the individual poster. They are of no concern to anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Rep?

Absolutely not. They're visible to mods and the individual poster. They are of no concern to anybody else.
    phew:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Like the callers for thumbs down/unlike functionality, a lot of the advocates for reputation systems always strike one as turkeys voting for a particularly bloody Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Sounds like something that only a handful of the usual busybodies would get the horn for tbh.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

On reddit, where you can up and downvote, it can work quite well on a comment level as the upvoted comments bubble up to the top and the tossers get downvoted to absolute oblivion.

So in essence the trolls would never even get seen by most people as their comments score below a threshold.

This kind of user driven voting up and down of topics whereby people can have a say in what becomes popular without even having to comment can work very well.

Of course in the past it's been ballsed up here by ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I don't think there's anything wrong with the current "thanks" system tbh.

Adding a "rep" system or a "thumbs down" option would only be abused by people and create havoc for all involved.
    It could also be open to abuse by people which could be construed as bullying if they ganged up and consistently give thumbs down to a certain poster just because they don't like them.

As for posts with bad rep just floating off so nobody can see it.....I think this is a bad idea. I'd rather view a post and make up my own mind whether I like it or not, than have it pushed out of sight because others decided they didn't like it.

The current system works well in my opinion and can't really be abused by users.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

On reddit, where you can up and downvote, it can work quite well on a comment level as the upvoted comments bubble up to the top and the tossers get downvoted to absolute oblivion.

So in essence the trolls would never even get seen by most people as their comments score below a threshold.

This kind of user driven voting up and down of topics whereby people can have a say in what becomes popular without even having to comment can work very well.

Of course in the past it's been ballsed up here by ****.

Happens on youtube where there's no moderation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Dean09 wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the current "thanks" system tbh.

Adding a "rep" system or a "thumbs down" option would only be abused by people and create havoc for all involved.
    It could also be open to abuse by people which could be construed as bullying if they ganged up and consistently give thumbs down to a certain poster just because they don't like them.

As for posts with bad rep just floating off so nobody can see it.....I think this is a bad idea. I'd rather view a post and make up my own mind whether I like it or not, than have it pushed out of sight because others decided they didn't like it.

The current system works well in my opinion and can't really be abused by users.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Doubt it'd work like that, boards is one of the most closely moderated sites I've been on. You can't get away with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Prick! wrote: »
    Doubt it'd work like that, boards is one of the most closely moderated sites I've been on. You can't get away with anything.

Moderaters would differ on that!

Politics.ie had a rep system and posters spent half their time arguing over who gave them negative rep, they got rid of it pretty sharpish.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement