Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

irony from days gone by ...

• 15-10-2012 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Hubby and i were chatting about when we 1st started living together...

2005.... we lived on 10e-15e shopping a week... (consisted of 10c noodles.. (about 2e worth), pasta(was 30ish cent), pasta sauce(30cent), tuna(35ish cent) cheap cornflakes (1e)- milk (60 c) , some chocolate/crisps/nuts (for all it was 2-3 ish for the really cheap stuff)... and a 6 pack of really cheap beer (under 5 quid as i recall).. and we were happy out

These days even though theres more of a recession now than then, we spend more on shopping... :confused:

ironic???

what from your days gone by do you find ironic??

EDIT- our rent in 2005 was more than our morgage is now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I remember telling someone in 1975 that there'll never be AIDS. Boy, how wrong was I... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm not sure that's irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you when you think everything's okay and everything's going right
    And life has a funny way of helping you out when you think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up in your face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

In before the Alanis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I'm not sure that's irony.

Agree, I think it's called "inflation".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

2005.... we lived on 10e-15e shopping a week... (consisted of 10c noodles.. (about 2e worth), pasta(was 30ish cent), pasta sauce(30cent), tuna(35ish cent) cheap cornflakes (1e)- milk (60 c) , some chocolate/crisps/nuts (for all it was 2-3 ish for the really cheap stuff)... and a 6 pack of really cheap beer (under 5 quid as i recall).. and we were happy out

These days even though theres more of a recession now than then, we spend more on shopping... :confused:

ironic???

35cent for a tin of Tuna, sure it wasn't goldfish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

scudzilla wrote: »
    35cent for a tin of Tuna, sure it wasn't goldfish?

Or plankton?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

token101 wrote: »
    Or plankton?

It was flipper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Ahhhhh.....2005. Those were the good old days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

token101 wrote: »
    Or plankton?

Nah, pretty sure it's fungie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's ironic that you lived on such a miserable diet during the biggest boom we ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭squirestarter

Thinly veiled "I'd a crap diet and now i eat well" thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

there was very little iron-y in you diet it seems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

I remember laughing at older colleagues back in the 90s saying I ll never wear a track suit to work.

Well here I am at work... In a tracksuit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭policarp

ironic???

6 pack of cheap beer hasn't increased much. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

My careers guidance counselor said I was a useless waste of space who'd never amount to anything. . . .

. . . . oh wait :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭policarp

Where To wrote: »
    My careers guidance counselor said I was a useless waste of space who'd never amount to anything. . . .

. . . . oh wait :(

So.
    Where to now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

ironic???

No, to answer your question, there is nothing ironic about that.

Also, where were you doing your shopping in 2005?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

ironic???

Started living together in 2005.

Conversations about product prices by 2012.

Already looking into the past with rose-tinted glasses

My verdict: Wont last ! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

To echo others, where were you doing your shopping in 2005. I don't recall any of those products being that price anywhere except perhaps out at the car boot sale in Cuffesgrange where they flog gone out of date goods. :confused:

Irony

Is it irony that I screwed up the link first time round! 99% say No, 1% says Yes, final verdict, Maybe:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I was at this wedding once, the weather was awful, where the bride and groom were about to cut the cake but there was only desert cutlery left! The groom was a complete ride to boot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

efb wrote: »
    I was at this wedding once, the weather was awful, where the bride and groom were about to cut the cake but there was only desert cutlery left! The groom was a complete ride to boot!

That sums it up.

I was once sent to the shop to buy a knife and I came back with 10,000 spoons. It's ironic, don't you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Isn't it ironic that noone knows how the word irony should actually be applied?

Or am I getting that wrong as well?

Isn't it ironic that noone knows how the word irony should actually be applied?

Or am I getting that wrong as well?

I wouldn't say noone knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

kneemos wrote: »
    I wouldn't say noone knows.

The irony!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

trodsky wrote: »
    I remember laughing at older colleagues back in the 90s saying I ll never wear a track suit to work.

If your name's Trapattoni then hopefully you won't be there for much longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Are you a PE teacher? Or Jimmy Saville?

bigneacy wrote: »
    Are you a PE teacher? Or Jimmy Saville?

If he's a fashion correspondent he could wear it ironically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

My first full time summer job in a cash'n carry, in or around 1973 - I was paid €5 a week and my Mum insisted I pay €2 a week toward the household .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I stopped reading after "hubby".

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

I drink Karpackie .........................JUDGE ME

CavanCrew wrote: »
    I drink Karpackie .........................JUDGE ME

Unemployed,wears tracksuits and white runners,numerous tattos and children,eats crap food and smokes the odd spliff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

If he's a fashion correspondent he could wear it ironically.
    Hipster alert!!

It's ironic that so many people spent years building houses but can't afford to buy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

As far as I'm concerned one shouldn't be allowed use the term "From days Gone by" to refer to any date within 10 years of the present. 2005 was yesterday FFS.

To put it another way. Its not "From Days gone by" if you are still driving the same car as you were then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Unemployed,wears tracksuits and white runners,numerous tattos and children,eats crap food and smokes the odd spliff.

No, just Polish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Good god... if ye were eating that crap in the boom what in the name of jaysus are ye feeding on now?...
    Recession is great for weight loss I find..:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Well I tell ya, I was in a fierce ironic traffic jam the other day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

I really hate the influx of Alanis Morisette references the minute anyone mentions the word 'irony'

• Advertisement

Sorcha16 wrote: »
    I really hate the influx of Alanis Morisette references the minute anyone mentions the word 'irony'

Which is ironic considering none of her lyrics were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you when you think everything's okay and everything's going right
    And life has a funny way of helping you out when you think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up in your face
    Sounds kinda like tax and social welfare, respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Irony is clearly a very misunderstood thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

didnt think they had a dress code for selling the big issue

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Which is ironic considering none of her lyrics were.
    Wasn't that the whole point ?

Advertisement