Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8

Options
  • 15-10-2012 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭

Who else is using it as their daily? :D

Boot speed is very impressive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Brian wrote: »
    Who else is using it as their daily? :D

Boot speed is very impressive.
    I used the developer edition for a while but i'm not really sure about it as I use multiple screens and do a lot of multitasking, I can notice it slowed my work down a lot so I switched off it.
    I don't like them trying to force the market place on us and the fact you need to use the metro stuff even if you don't want to unlike what OSX would do which is much better implemented.
    It would be much better if you had the option to boot into whichever you decided and both where fully independent if you wanted instead of as bastardized OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Windows 7 does everything I need. I would not be surprised if win 7 would be alive for a very long time thanks to those new changes Microsoft is pushing down our throats.

How come it has issues with multiple screens? I am using 3 myself and my feck I would die, before giving away that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Windows XP is still going strong to this day, I'd wager 7 will have an equally long and prosperous life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Windows 8 fixing what isn't broken. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4boTbv9_nU

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Windows 8 fixing what isn't broken. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4boTbv9_nU

i really loled at last bit:

"so who made this?"
    "microsoft"
    "so they want me to switch to Mac?"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I'm not finding myself encountering Metro much at all. I just use my desktop applications and then occasionally it comes up when I press the Windows key to search for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Windows 8 is a downright horrible operating system. Don't get me wrong, the development team did a great job when it comes to optimizing the code and it shows (incredibly fast boot times and lower system requirements) however other than that it is a disgrace.

I own a windows phone 7 device and I find it better than the competition in terms of the UI, but it should stay there. It works horribly on a desktop or laptop PC.

The funny thing is that a few employees who I know through doing my work placement (and still keep in touch with them) and they are not fond of it as well.

I really hope it flops horribly just like vista did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

For me it works the same as Windows 7 except faster. Whats not to like. Slap on Classic Shell to bypass the metro stuff. Because underneath all the Windows 7 stuff is still there. I'm a bit baffled why theres all the wringing of hands and drama. For the most part it works the same. Its really quite simple to get around the Metro bits. Classic shell is better than the Windows 7 menu too. I use it on that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Folks,

Sorry to be "hi-jacking" this thread but this seemed like the best forum to ask in and setting up a new thread seemed a little pointless. Anyway does anyone know any (bricks and mortar) shops that will sell a full version of this? i'm currently working of the 32-bit version of windows 7 but i got more memory so i'll need the 64 bit in order to make use of it and i can't upgrade between 32 and 64 bit versions!

I know there's debates as to how good or not it is but i think one way or another i'm going to have to use it so no time like the present!!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 54,385 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I love to know the difference in boot time on windows 8 and ssd windows 7

anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Lost the power to google?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc1DFvNjs0k
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHig7qRasE4

Curious why is that important to you? Do you need to reboot that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I'm using it at the moment (downloaded it digitally there yesterday). I actually quite like it, it's pretty fast and clean. Couple of issues though:

It seems to have installed the 32-bit version of Windows 8; I'd prefer to have the 64-bit version (which I'm sure will require a reinstall) but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this?

Not all of my programs are available to pin to the Metro UI; Steam for example. It should be pointed out Windows 8 is on my SSD and most of my programs are on a separate media HDD.

Advertisement