Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that are so predictable

Options
  • 15-10-2012 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭

Okay, so every Christmas we all get presents and gifts from various family/friends. My question is, what is the most predictable present you have received that makes you think that the person put no thought into getting your gift. Mine would be

Sanctuary products in Boots
    generic scented candles
    Thorntons six euro box of chocolates
    Ferrero Roche

When I receive any of the above, I always think it is a last minute afterthought. Anyone else have those "presents" that make you feel like an afterthought.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭msbusterpuss

If anyone gave me a box of ferrero rocher for christmas id be their best friend for life :D

So that would be a really thoughtful present for me!

But I hate getting perfume sets. The ones that have the perfume and matching body lotion. Usually got from one of the brothers. Drives me insane, although I do have quite the collection of perfume - that i cant use fast enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

One sister can be a bit thoughtless, I've been on the receiving end of a couple of dud Christmas gifts from her more than once. It hurts me because I had been used as an extention for Santa for a lot of years when her kids were young and even now she will guilt me into buying particular things for them as I have no kids of my own. Before we went KK in the family, no matter how much I spent on her family, I usually got slippers & a pair of PJ 2sizes too small in return. My other sis & brother got the same treatment yet her extensive in-law network were well catered for. :mad:
    Don't get me wrong, I don't give to receive but her lack of thoughtfulness towards us really stings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

completely understand wish kin. One of my family members gives out the most unthoughtful presents - it;s like the first thing that their hand reaches in boots. One year, all the family got sanctuary from boots - when three of the family members opened theirs all the insides were damaged and the leaking. The person in question proceeded to say that she knew they were all squashed as she had dropped something on top of them. I wouldn't mind but the rest of the family would overspend on the same family unit as they have four kids. Needless to say tho, they now get treated with sanctuary themselves. :D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I love Sanctuary products! :(

I always buy Clinique stuff for my mother every Christmas! :o
    It's the only thing she really likes (she's not into films or books and doesn't wear perfume or any jewellery) so it's a fail safe that she'll love a big box with expensive night-cream, hand-cream, serums and lotions galore.
    It may seem thoughtless that she gets the same stuff every Christmas but it's what she likes to get- all the stuff I buy her nearly does until the following Christmas! Plus, I buy most of the Christmas presents she receives from the rest of the family anyway! :rolleyes:
    (She does get varying birthday presents though!!!) :D

I think some things seem like they have no thought put into them, but then I'd probably rather €50 in a Christmas card than a horrible lamp I'm going to banish to the attic by the new year so it can depend!! :pac:

Washiskin, I totally get your point. Of course we don't give to receive, but some people are so thoughtless it can be upsetting at the time!
    I knitted a scarf for a friend once for Christmas. Gorgeous thick long woolly scarf in her favourite colour- took me weeks to knit!! She got me a salt and pepper shaker from the €2 shop. :(
    Now I put thought into her presents, but have a limit of spending a tenner on her. I probably sound like a bitch- don't get me wrong, I was delighted she loved the scarf and love to spend waaaaaay more than I should on people at Christmastime but I'm not an eijit either- I learned my lesson!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

Mother in law always gives me a Lynx set and the ultimate Christmas cake, predictable but in a good way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

i wouldn't call clinique a thoughtless present - its a fab present.

what I think is a thoughtless present is just the last minute grab which is usually sanctuary (unless you love sanctuary of course), or generic candle sets (NOT yankee candle or jo malone).

When I see the orange sanctuary package my heart drops. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I always get pyjamas from sisters or mum! But I love new pjs - usually keep them for my hols! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I think predictable can be good sometimes. I know for years my dad used to depend on getting a bottle of Bacardi from my great aunt.... When she passed away my brother took over!

And as for ferero rocher, I always get my gf a box. They are her secret stash no one knows about over the Christmas!!!

Advertisement