Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best Sweets at Christmas

Options
  • 15-10-2012 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭

Which would be your favorite to sit and watch a movie

Roses
    Quality Street
    Celebrations
    Heroes
    Thorntons
    Leonidas
    Butlers
    Colleen hard candy (the old fashioned box)
    Milk Tray

Mine would have to be the colleen hard candy and quality street.

Feel free to add your own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Which would be your favorite to sit and watch a movie

Roses
    Quality Street
    Celebrations
    Heroes
    Thorntons
    Leonidas
    Butlers
    Colleen hard candy (the old fashioned box)
    Milk Tray

Mine would have to be the colleen hard candy and quality street.

Feel free to add your own.

Those star shaped tins of Emeralds have been a big hit in our house in recent years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Roses
    Quality Street
    Celebrations
    Heroes

are my fav by a mile, also a big box of After 8's always seem to makes an appearance during Christmas, haha.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

These are my favourites. Nom nom!!
    AAAAApVKF9sAAAAAAWnnLQ.jpg?v=1225107636000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 groovygirl5

you can't beat hereos especially the caramel and creme egg ones!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

No Ferrero Rocher?

Or Terrys Chococate Orange Segments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭travellingbid

Those special celebration maltessers nomnom:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Oh I love the orange ones in Milk Tray.

My favourites at Christmas are After Eights. They're too easy to eat though.

Tubes of smarties, jelly tots, fruit pastilles etc?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Tubes of smarties, jelly tots, fruit pastilles etc?
    Are you asking or answering? :confused:

Posy wrote: »
    Are you asking or answering? :confused:

Well if you're offering, don't mind if I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Ferrero rocher, saw them in lidl last week, wanted to buy them but knew I would devour the box of them. Will wait for Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I loooove Ferrero Rocher! Nyom nyom! And After Eights...

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

Scots Clans ,Double centres followed by Lemons !!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I changed my mind my absolute favourite sweets at Christmas are snowballs the chocolate the cream the coconut. Yum. Yum. I need some now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

Roses, Quality Streets, After Eights, Celebrations, Heroes, Ohhh too hard to decide - all of the above, not to mention the tasty cakes, crisps, ice-cream etc that join them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

juan.kerr wrote: »
    No Ferrero Rocher?

Or Terrys Chococate Orange Segments?

Only buy these at Christmas as well!

Roses is tops in our house, at least 2 tins on the go at any given time over Christmas. Used to be from September in the past :eek:. Also usually buy quality street, celebrations, a box of Thortons and Milk Tray, and always buy a box of the Seashells as well at Christmas :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Charl0tte

I have already bought a tin of Roses, and I will buy a tin of quality street this week. Will probably leave it at that because there is so much rich naughty food over the Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 FoxyChickaTee

Tin of Roses and its tradition to have a BOX of cheese and onion TAYTOS in the house ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

roses were the top brand in our home for years - kids went mad for them. However over the last two years it has changed to quality street - I have to get 2 - 3 tins in to last. Also the box of tayto and soft drinks - red lemonade to be exact. nostalgia again. Always associated red lemonade with christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

cookie75 wrote: »
    Scots Clans ,Double centres followed by Lemons !!

Forgot about scots clan, god i used to love them, have to get some in this year ;)

• Advertisement

I got a bag of King in, and some pringles. I prefer not to put too much naughty stuff out, and prefer to actually make my own snacks. The cheese board has to come out too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Tin of Roses and its tradition to have a BOX of cheese and onion TAYTOS in the house ;-)

The Taytos from those boxes always taste way nicer than any other Taytos for some reason.

We always used to have a tin of biscuits from M&S in the house too. The Belgian Chocolate one.

Scots clan, I haven't seen those since my grandmother was alive :) I'll have to get some for christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Charl0tte wrote: »
    Scots clan, I haven't seen those since my grandmother was alive :) I'll have to get some for christmas :)

A warning about the Scots Clan; they are not the same as they used to be! They've changed the chocolate!

We would get my dad a big box for his birthday and Christmas every single year ( near on 30 years at this stage!) and they just don't taste the same. There was a very distinct change in taste. In fact, he thinks Reisen (sp?) are now the closest thing to the original Scots Clan. We just get him bags of those instead.

Alicat wrote: »
    A warning about the Scots Clan; they are not the same as they used to be! They've changed the chocolate!

We would get my dad a big box for his birthday and Christmas every single year ( near on 30 years at this stage!) and they just don't taste the same. There was a very distinct change in taste. In fact, he thinks Reisen (sp?) are now the closest thing to the original Scots Clan. We just get him bags of those instead.
    Oh no! don't say that. Childhood memory ruined! Thanks for the advice though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

I've found the chocolate in the roses last two years tobe gone brutal, not keen on them at all anymore, love the terrrys segsations though !!

The Taytos from those boxes always taste way nicer than any other Taytos for some reason.

+1 for this! They always taste way nicer than the individual ones.

BobMc wrote: »
    I've found the chocolate in the roses last two years tobe gone brutal, not keen on them at all anymore, love the terrrys segsations though !!

yes I was very disappointed in them a couple of years ago also, hence the move to quality street. there was a definite change in the roses. not as rich and creamy and luxurious.

cannot forget the old sentimentally selection boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭ZombieMed

I like gooey fondant sweets in chocolate and found that "Surprises" from either Aldi or Lidl (I think Aldi) are the nicest for this taste.

Advertisement