Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best Sweets at Christmas

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

cannot forget the old sentimentally selection boxes.

Curly Wurlys deffo a Christmas thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 FoxyChickaTee

lockie1983 wrote: »

+1 for this! They always taste way nicer than the individual ones.

A few years ago my mam bought the big bag of taytos instead of the box and there was uproar haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 coolgal52

I love yorkshire jellies at xmas, they are so sugary the best!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm not allowed yorkshire jellies. I'm like an alcoholic- I can't stop at one box. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

BobMc wrote: »
    I've found the chocolate in the roses last two years tobe gone brutal, not keen on them at all anymore, love the terrrys segsations though !!

I used to like the small round ones that nobody ever ate and were always left in the tin, usually creamy ones, and then they got rid of them, or changed their shape, could always bank on them being left in the tin when desperate for a sweet January 6th or 7th!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Season's Greetings - but only for the tin- the sweets were yuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lazy girl

you can beat a tin of roses can u, or after eights!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

You people are crazy what about Kinder Schoko bon?

ladypip wrote: »
    You people are crazy what about Kinder Schoko bon?
    Never heard of them! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 okfine

oh sweets,I love you all equally....Except for the Pink,Orange,Brown and golden wrapped ones in the Quality Street selection.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I alternate between Roses and Quality Street but after getting Roses last Christmas, I was disappointed in the selection and the chocolate didn't taste as nice, so I think we'll stick to Quality Street.
    Also love Butler's and Ferrero Rocher.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I alternate between Roses and Quality Street but after getting Roses last Christmas, I was disappointed in the selection and the chocolate didn't taste as nice, so I think we'll stick to Quality Street.
    Just get them both!
    It's Christmas. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Roses
    Heroes
    Celebrations

Of recent years (well in the last year!) Roisins lemon supremes and chocolate truffles from Aldi are DIVINE!

We always get boxes of sour cream and onion pringles (I know not really sweets but I love them!) and a terrys chocolate orange each (nom nom!)

I do like the odd mince pie too :pac: but not too many cos they are quite heavy!

And of course the obligatory sherry trifle for after dinner:pac:

flutegirl wrote: »
    I used to like the small round ones that nobody ever ate and were always left in the tin, usually creamy ones, and then they got rid of them, or changed their shape, could always bank on them being left in the tin when desperate for a sweet January 6th or 7th!!

I loved the chocolate bite and the orange bite but they did away with them :eek::mad: There's far less of a selection in the roses now but we still get them anyway - it's tradition:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

A yard of Jaffa cakes please...

jaffa_cakes_1-scaled-1000.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Don't get me started on the Roses tins.. whoever messed with the selection should be shot.. and the chocolate is horrible, watered down with Soya or some crap :mad:

I love Galaxy chocolate, my Mother still gets me the selection box every year :D

Although I'm really more of a savory person.. Tayto/Pringles/Dry roasted peanuts... all good!!!!

xzanti wrote: »
    I love Galaxy chocolate, my Mother still gets me the selection box every year :D

MMMM I love Galaxy too!! :pac:

And the previous poster about the Jaffa Cakes - OM NOM NOM! Could eat that whole pack of Jaffa Cakes myself and still want more:pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

leahyl wrote: »
    And the previous poster about the Jaffa Cakes - OM NOM NOM! Could eat that whole pack of Jaffa Cakes myself and still want more:pac:

I really want Jaffa Cakes now :(

I really want Jaffa Cakes now :(
    Me too. And I don't normally even eat Jaffa cakes. :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I changed my mind my absolute favourite sweets at Christmas are snowballs the chocolate the cream the coconut. Yum. Yum. I need some now!!

I came home from work Friday to find my amazing girlfriend had bought be a box of snowballs! Thank you boards! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

I like everything really, except I'm not that big of a fan of Quality Street. Also hate any cakes with fruit in it so I don't eat traditional Christmas cake or anything. Also hate mince pies and anything marzipan :P I don't eat much traditional Christmas food. One tradition in my house is chips and dips. Not really a typical Christmas food, but they have to be got here. My favourite dip is the sour cream and chive one or spicy cheese. Nom. I'm more into savoury stuff then chocolate. Loads of cheese and crackers as well. Hurry up Christmas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Ohh I love the lindt truffles. And the creme eggs a week or two after xmas. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Nothing beats a Marks & Spencers' shortbread biscuit dunked into a cuppa. Mmmm. As for boxed chocs, I'm particial to Celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

Alicat wrote: »
    A warning about the Scots Clan; they are not the same as they used to be! They've changed the chocolate!

We would get my dad a big box for his birthday and Christmas every single year ( near on 30 years at this stage!) and they just don't taste the same. There was a very distinct change in taste. In fact, he thinks Reisen (sp?) are now the closest thing to the original Scots Clan. We just get him bags of those instead.

he should try the Aldi version of them they are addictive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Mmm, after eights for me. Usually pick up a couple of boxes every weekend, when the supermarkets start their deals. Last Xmas, I bought so many, I found 3 boxes in my cupboard in August with a sell by date of October. Obviously, couldn't let them go to waste :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Roses, After Eights, and Terry's Chocolate Orange all go down well in my house. I hate Quality Street - I think they're rotten!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Has anyone even mentioned Chocolate Santas? His head is the first thing I eat every Christmas morning before the official breakfast :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Roses are usually the Christmas sweets in my house....along with my 5 or so selection boxes :p:o

Advertisement