Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs v Chelsea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Here Precious

Sick of the sight of Livermore. He's not a Spurs player and offers us nothing. When he plays we don't get a result. No coincidence that we won 4 games on the bounce when he was out.

Send him back to Derby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Walker been brutal since the start of the season.
    Gallas too old.
    Sigurdsson me'h.
    Still think Dempsey can turn it around.
    JQuote]

You've gotta ask why though!

Kyle was a stunner last year as was siggy and dempsey in other teams. Have they all gone rotten all of a sudden!

As I said, except for the united game, we've never been set up right this season at one single game. What we have been is lucky.

One bad run and there will be no turning the ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Here Precious

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Walker been brutal since the start of the season.
    Gallas too old.
    Sigurdsson me'h.
    Still think Dempsey can turn it around.
    JQuote]

You've gotta ask why though!

Kyle was a stunner last year as was siggy and dempsey in other teams. Have they all gone rotten all of a sudden!

As I said, except for the united game, we've never been set up right this season at one single game. What we have been is lucky.

One bad run and there will be no turning the ship.

you have been missing in here for a month yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

That was a depressing one to watch absolutely.

However we could easily have won the game at the same time which to me is a positive.

Im not saying for a second that the performance was acceptable in any form though.

To me we didnt play like it was a derby. I lost count of the amount of times we pulled out of 50/50s in the frist half. Pathetic

we are not far off them though. And as has been said before missing bale and dembele is huge. Anyone who says otherwise clearly knows the game inside out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

So, 8 games in, im still very very unconvinced with AVB, we have played a good 45 mins against utd and about 20 today against chelsea . Apart from that, the majority of the performances have been pretty laboured. Set up really poorly today, defensively all over the shop, no one tracking Mata for the goal that put them 3 -2 up.
    Its almost as if AVB has decided on his team formation and is getting people to play in it regardless of whether they can play in it or not! The team is not playing well, not gelling, whether thats to do with getting used to new roles and systems or not buying into the managers ideas, i dont know.
    Felt we have had a bit of luck recently and things were turning for us, even a draw today and we could have continued to progress.

Getting results when your not playing well is all well and good, but invariably two things will happen, 1) Getting results will lead to confidence and the good performances arrive to match the good results and we build, or 2) The performances stay the same but the results stop coming, once that happens, at a big club or a high profile club like spur, its only going to go one way.

Between now and christmas will be interesting, i hope we can start playing some good stuff and get some results, unfortunately, im just as skeptical as i was in august.
    I would love AVB to be a success, i just cant see it happening. (Hides behind laptop waiting to be labelled an AVB hater by the masses)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭tomo75

Well, we played out 8th game today and we have 14 points!! So, I think AVB is no JR. ;)

In my opioion, I think our season will come good for the following reasons:

1/ International break timing didn't really suit us with alot of players away. I think we had momentum going into the break and we are now trying to get it going again.

2/ We are no going to win the league - our wage structure/buying policy ensures that. But after todays fixtures, we will be 4 points from 2nd. CL is where its at for us until we find an owner who will spend ~300million to buy the league in 1/2 seasons.

3/ We have major players out injured. And while we have players out of form at the moment - I do think they will be back in the zone for the second half of the season. Got to remember, Walker may have been flying it last season, we still only won 3 games in last season's run in.

Overall, I'm still giving AVB the benefit of the doubt. We may be playing patchy, it is still not as bad as the 2 points for 8 games crap.....

you have been missing in here for a month yeah?

Yup. Wasn't welcome cause I had a mind of my own. I get no pleasure in being right on this one let me tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

There were a couple of positives to take from today's performance; Firstly, we put it up to the best team in the Premier League even though we were missing Bale and Dembele. I don't think Friedel played too badly, but today's match could see Lloris become a fixture in the team. Finally, Adebayor must be back to match fitness - once again, Defoe played well, but there were a number of chances he wasted by not passing - this result could be the catalyst to get Adebayor back in to the team.

One small issue with AVB that I would have is that Townsend should have been giving a starting place when Bale pulled out. We need to reward young players who play well, especially when they fit the system.

I'd like people to get off AVB's back until Christmas 2013 - by then you will be able to judge him properly. At the moment AVB has merely just developed a new system and mindset in the club, he needs a couple of transfer windows so that he can fill that system with his players. In the mean-time, AVB has done really well. We're competing at the right end of the table, all pundits consider us real challengers and we've just barely touched on the AVB revolution.

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Spurs at 1/2 strength v Chelsea at full strength

Only gonna be 1 winner I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pancho84

I was doubtful of AVB at the start but I think he will come good - I dont think he could of done anything different today with all injuries and we had a few missing - BAE, Parker, Bale, Kaboul (all starters last season) and Dembele.

My thoughts so far are:

Big Tom hasn't done much to push for a starting place this season.

Siggy and Dempsey havent got going at all yet but when will they click?

Lennon has improved and has had a great start

Defoe looks hungrier than Ade

Gallas, why is still starting, does anyone not think Dawson would be better until Kaboul is back

Walker has been poor but he is still young and can still improve, it was immature of him today so hopefully he will learn, it could be the kick in the arse he needs

We need to get a few players back from injury - our bench was far to weak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I'm sorry for being ignorant here, but anyone blaming AVB after yesterday is a total fcukin eijit, and really hasn't the slightest clue. We're not going to win every game, and if AVB gets the blame for all those games we don't win, what hope has he at succeeding with us?

We were missing our 2 best players yesterday, and imo, if it wasn't for Walker we would have at least gotten a point. This is the second big game this season he has been absolutely dire. At Old Trafford we won despite him trying his best to lose it for us, and, well, yesterday he nearly as bad. Mata got so much joy off him, the difference between attacks down their left and right was incredible, Vert really is a cracking player altogether.

THFC wrote: »
    I'm sorry for being ignorant here, but anyone blaming AVB after yesterday is a total fcukin eijit, and really hasn't the slightest clue.

I thought it was AVBs fault. I dont talk in here anymore because of sh!te like this. Full of arrogant , like minded and protected sorts ( i.e mods -the irony of that word in this forum) from normal forum rules because its a buddy forum and not a real Spurs form.

I'm off which i'm sure will please every body. No more ruffling your little feathers with an opinion that differs from your other mates on the bar stool.

Good luck to the other free mnded in here, you havent got a hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

I thought it was AVBs fault. I dont talk in here anymore because of sh!te like this. Full of arrogant , like minded and protected sorts ( i.e mods -the irony of that word in this forum) from normal forum rules because its a buddy forum and not a real Spurs form.

I'm off which i'm sure will please every body. No more ruffling your little feathers with an opinion that differs from your other mates on the bar stool.

Before you leave in a big huff and start slagging people off answer this

What would you have done differently to win the match ?

Answer that and your more then welcome to pick up your toys enter back into your pram and close the door behind you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Saab - what could avb have done yesterday except for maybe denying bales chance to be present at the birth of his first child

Chelsea are Defo top 3 this season and likely top two. We were missing 4 certain starters and they were missing one

Honestly , tell me what he could have done differently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

My gripes with yesterdays selection are:

1. Adebayor has to start, granted Defoe scored a great goal and worked his socks off but Ade will hold the ball up and bring others into play. Why not play both? could work a treat.

2. Gallas should not be on this team, never mind captaining it. The guy cost us two goals.

My other gripe is with the sale of VdV and the effect it is having on the team, neither Siggy or Dempsey are fit to lace his boots.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Ed, it's not that we're arrogant or protected sorts, it's that you only ever come in here when things aren't going well, or when there's been a bad result. You never, ever have anything positive to say and it gets boring. Yes, the team hasn't really played well for most of the season, yes there are still problems in defence and yes in hindsight things could've been done differently yesterday. But mickman is spot on, and despite missing potentially 2 of our best players this season we almost did it, except for some very poor individual performances from Walker, Gallas and Dempsey. We needed to be absolutely on top of our game, with all of our players fit and available - this didn't happen.

Outside of the individual performances to aluded to above, if Gylfi & Defoe had not hit the ball straight at the keeper every single time things could've been different as let's face it, outside of the 4 goals Chelsea scored they didn't have that many other chances (7 on target v 16 for us). They have better players and were far more clinical than us, it's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

As said above ED what would you have done differently? Just by looking at the bench shows you how many options AVB had.

And i realise this is a horribly 'arrogant' view of mine but I couldnt give a toss what you think about AVB. Of course you are completely entitled to criticize mistakes he might make, as with every spurs/football fan.

However heres the difference for me. Youve never given him a chance and every criticism youve made of him has just been a ready made generic statement that youve spent working on since the day he was hired. If you were able to back up anything youve said about AVB with anything close to a fact i would happily read your posts on here. However as it turns out id rather bang my head against a wall

Kingdom - I think we can safely say that it was levys decision to sell vdv , I would imagine that avb said ' we can let him go if we get mouthino in '. That didn't happen as we all know so we are left short

I don't agree with Gallas being played either even though he was excellent at d Trafford

It was a very good second half performance , ahead of arsenal and 4th looks on for us ! Chin up everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Oh where to start :rolleyes:
    The Match - Obviously Bale & Dembele are going to be missed. In order for us to compete with the top teams in the league, we need a full strength side, whether we like that or not. City and Chelsea can manage when they have a couple missing, we can't.
    In saying that, I wouldn't use that as an excuse, we were poor.I'd have played Townsend as DubP mentioned, but sure we all have opinions. We gave the ball away countless times, and our central midfield duo had serious off days.
    They started very well I thought, and really kept our crowd quiet.
    Some of the goals we gave away were terrible from a defensive perspective, but I have to say, I thought they were brilliant going forward. The trio of Mata, Hazard and Oscar were so sharp, comfortable on the ball and looked awesome at times. In fairness, they cost serious dollars, and that's what I'd expect for such money. I really don't like them, that's twice I have seen them tear us apart this year, hard to take, but that's football.

As for us,
    Brad, time for Lloris to be made the No 1 so we can move on from the debate
    Walker, sloppy again
    Gallas, Poor
    Caulker, gem in the makings
    Vert, excellent, not a full back though
    Hudd, very sloppy
    Sandro, poor
    Lennon, flitted in and out, looked dangerous at times, not enough times though
    Sig, kept running away from vert instead of showing for the ball, frustrating
    Dempsey, poor
    Defoe, worked hard, another goal, should have rolled vert in 1st half, selfish as always

When we went 2-1 up, it's easy to say we should have been stronger and been a little more cute etc, but with the 3 they had in that form, they were always going to create chances.

Overall, very disappointing to be stuffed by them again, but we gotta take the highs with the lows and bounce back with 6 points against Southampton and Wigan.

As for AVB, well you all know where i stand on him.

2 other things, 1) I know some of the players can break our hearts at times, my own included, but please please criticise in a decent manner rather than abusive stuff like calling our own lads cu*ts and knac*ers, cheers.

And 2) the stuff been said by 1 or 2 fellas about this forum being this or that, and your not allowed have an opinion different to mods etc, pull the other one. Maybe I'm worse for biting, but what is that all about ? I have my opinion like everyone else, some of you agree, and others (probably the majority) disagree, and that's fine. We are all entitled to have our say. I love the banter, fellas having a constructive go at others, because they don't like what they say, but the snide little remarks is a load of......

It's a spurs forum, for spurs fans, and we all crave the same thing, so let's leave it at that.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

From my point of view, block 19, our heads dropped when the teamsheets were read out. No GB and Dembele meant we had little chance of winning this game. We gave it a good go though and Walker could have been a hero with that shot right before he fluffed his lines.

In Dembele's absence Thudd was tasked with collecting the ball from the centre half, driving forward and spreading the play. He wasn't up to the job in the first half, maybe nerves. He did however step it up in the second.

Sigurdsson (central) & Dempsey (left) were AWOL in the first half too but AVB switched them and it had a positive effect. Dempsey isn't a winger, he wants to play off the striker.

Unfortunately, playing Defoe as a lone striker doesn't work, granted he's scoring goals for us but he offers little to the team in terms of linking/holding up play and forces us to sit deeper. In the absence of two of our best players we could have played two strikers but that may have left us too open.

We've had to persist with Gallas because Kaboul and the two fullbacks have been missing. There is little AVB can do about this at the moment except start Naughton in the next game (hopefully at LB, Walker needs to start too or his confidence will crumble).

For me Lloris needs to be given the No.1 shirt. Friedel has been great for us but Lloris is quicker and smarter both defensively and counter-attacking.

Chelsea have an embarrassment of riches and I won't surprised if they win the league, particularly if they sign Falcao in January.

It was a shame to lose such a good game of football but c'est la vie...

PS. Saab Ed, I don't know any of the posters/mods on here but debate is always encouraged. You started the thread 'AVBs clueless' when there was a perfectly good thread 'Our new manager, good luck'. Obviously we're all entitled to our opinions but negativity is usually met with a similar response. Not having a go just guessing why you're getting a bit of stick.

COYS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

KingdomYid wrote: »
    My gripes with yesterdays selection are:

1. Adebayor has to start, granted Defoe scored a great goal and worked his socks off but Ade will hold the ball up and bring others into play. Why not play both? could work a treat.

2. Gallas should not be on this team, never mind captaining it. The guy cost us two goals.

My other gripe is with the sale of VdV and the effect it is having on the team, neither Siggy or Dempsey are fit to lace his boots.

That is all.

I agree with all of the above. Still think we'll play worse this season and win.

yiddo59 wrote: »
    I agree with all of the above. Still think we'll play worse this season and win.

I agree on the 442 shout, without the 2 lads, I'd have just gone for it and tried to get them on the back foot as much as we could, Lennon on the right, Townsend on the left (we had no balance at all), defoe and Adebayor up top.

In fairness to Gallas, before yesterday he had done ok, but once we have more defensive options, he will be left out with Caulker and Vert taking the central spots, before Kaboul is back to compete with them.

As for VDV, water under the bridge, I said at the time that if we were offered that type of money, I'd sell him and I haven't changed my mind.

Hatch - I would call one of our players a kn***er for playing poorly but the way he blasted the ball off mata with the intention to hurt was bad form

Meant I would " never " call a player a name for playing badly

mickman wrote: »
    Meant I would " never " call a player a name for playing badly

Mick, I kinda see where your coming from, but I have seen fellas doing worse than that in Spurs jerseys over the last few years. It's all in the heat of the moment, I have done things on a pitch I probably shouldn't have while playing(much lower level I know) that I have thought was stupid afterwards.

On a side note, I think the abuse the likes of walker and livermore get on here is crazy, they are spurs players, and we should be supporting them, not bad mouthing them and calling them all sorts. (not directed at you mate)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

I only saw the highlights but i think the Chelsea match showed the lack of depth in the squad. Thudd looks well off the player he was a few seasons back so we have very little cover for the Dembele/Modric role. Likewise i don't think Sigg or dempsey can reasonably be expected to play left wing against Chelsea (or right wing for that matter) so we also have very little cover on the wings. A couple of injuries in defense and we can be taken apart quite easily by a top side.

Are we ever gonna push for the league without investment/new stadium? I don't think it's beyond possible but we need a good run without injuries and a top manager. Is AVB a top manager? Juries still out, we're eight games into the league and it's been a mixed bag. Definitely enough to suggest that he gets a chance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Hatch99 wrote: »
    On a side note, I think the abuse the likes of walker and livermore get on here is crazy, they are spurs players, and we should be supporting them, not bad mouthing them and calling them all sorts. (not directed at you mate)

No problem with what anyone writes about any player on here but it really bugs me at games when players get stick from their own supposed supporters. I dont mind bollocking a lad in the heat of the moment but for years some players at Spurs have been subjected to premeditated abuse sometimes even before a ball had been kicked.
    I only saw the highlights but i think the Chelsea match showed the lack of depth in the squad. Thudd looks well off the player he was a few seasons back so we have very little cover for the Dembele/Modric role. Likewise i don't think Sigg or dempsey can reasonably be expected to play left wing against Chelsea (or right wing for that matter) so we also have very little cover on the wings. A couple of injuries in defense and we can be taken apart quite easily by a top side.

Are we ever gonna push for the league without investment/new stadium? I don't think it's beyond possible but we need a good run without injuries and a top manager. Is AVB a top manager? Juries still out, we're eight games into the league and it's been a mixed bag. Definitely enough to suggest that he gets a chance though.

No. Levy out rich Russian / Arabs in :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

yiddo59 wrote: »
    No. Levy out rich Russian / Arabs in :D;)

I probably wouldn't be happy then either :rolleyes: I don't like the idea of us becoming another chelski or manchester spit city.

But we could do with some more income in from a new stadium. I'd love to see the financial fair play rules even things out a little but i think these uber rich clubs are just going to find loopholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Pfft, free minded? You must be totally off your game. You're the one who's never had the decency to give AVB a chance, instead you've always finded something negative to say about him or his methods, regardless of the result of performance. Good riddance imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

It woulda been great to get a result against Chelsea for the sake of AVB.

Walker and Gallas were both very poor. Walker has been poor all season, maybe he started to think he was the finished article. He must notice now that he has a lotta hard work left to do. I don't think Gallas should be dropped yet, his experience is crucial.

We were missing our 2 driving forces Bale and Dembele. It hurt us bad.

I think people remember VdV with rose tinted glasses. He was a quality player but he was anonymous for months of last season and his lack of fitness/pace used to make him a complete passenger when he didn't have his shooting boots on. Siggy and Dempsey were phenomenal last season and were good signings. So far neither of them has hit form but it hasn't been that long. They will come good.

On the subject of this forum, I've disagreed with most people on here at one time or another, but that's kinda what a forum is all about and it's always done in good spirit. Some Spurs fans are positive, some are negative, most are balanced, c'est la vie.

Advertisement