Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shih tzu Puppy?

• 15-10-2012 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My family and I are looking to find a good Shih tzu breeder in the Dublin or Wicklow area.

We currently have two dogs already, both rescue dogs and would love to add another addition to our family preferably female.

I have looked on DoneDeal but cannot find any that are IKC registered. The IKC website does not seem to show any breeders in the Dublin area or will I have to look out further.

Would anyone know of any good breeders?

Thank you,
    Thezappa

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Contact the Shih Tzu CLub of Ireland and they will give you a list of breeders in the area, but you might have to travel a bit further. The IKC website doesnt list breeders, its just lists the Breed Clubs, so contact the secretary of the club and they will help you out.

Stay away from Donedeal if at all possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not sure if any where shih tzu but the <snip> have a lot of small puppies from the big rescue they did might be worth checking out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The OP asked for Shih Tzu breeders. I would assume from that they would like to buy a puppy from a reputable source. Why is it whenever anyone asks about buying a pedigree dog, instead of giving advice about KC or dog clubs contacts, like andreac people immediately jump on the rescue bandwagon?

It really annoys me. I had to put a friend straight a couple of weeks ago. I've been thinking about getting a British Shorthair for some time. Immediately, I'm told I'm a bad person for not rescuing. I had to tell them for the record I've rescued 3 cats (all of whom are now departed). For my own reasons I want a pedigree cat from a reputable breeder. If I wanted to rescue again, I would do so of my own volition, and don't need anyone preaching to me!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, I'm not sure if you'd consider travelling further afield, but there's a lady in Louth who breeds the nicest Shih Tsus I've ever met, temperament-wise. As I wouldn't be in contact with her, I have no idea has she any pups available right now, but I could root out her number for you if you'd be prepared for a trip to the Wee County!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

The OP asked for Shih Tzu breeders. I would assume from that they would like to buy a puppy from a reputable source. Why is it whenever anyone asks about buying a pedigree dog, instead of giving advice about KC or dog clubs contacts, like andreac people immediately jump on the rescue bandwagon?

It really annoys me. I had to put a friend straight a couple of weeks ago. I've been thinking about getting a British Shorthair for some time. Immediately, I'm told I'm a bad person for not rescuing. I had to tell them for the record I've rescued 3 cats (all of whom are now departed). For my own reasons I want a pedigree cat from a reputable breeder. If I wanted to rescue again, I would do so of my own volition, and don't need anyone preaching to me!

Totally agree. I reported Sigma Force's post yesterday (along with another in another thread- I think he/she has a vested interest in the DSPCA) but the mods took no action. The charter specifically says against recommending named rescues, let alone the soapboxing.
    I'd love to see these rescue heroes going to the Pregnancy forum and preaching at people for not adopting orphans. See how far they'd get.

• Advertisement

Magenta, profound apologies for not jumping to orders the very moment of your report.
    Two reminders. First, mods can exercise a degree of discretion, and do not have to respond to every reported post. When we get an actionable report, then it is responded to when one of us (a) sees the report and (b) can do something about it.
    Second, back-seat modding is also against the forum charter, and your post is sailing close to the wind in that regard.
    Indeed, your comment about the pregnancy forum is, itself, sailing close to soap-boxing.

In the case of this thread, whilst mention of the rescue has been removed, I don't have a huge issue with one poster mentioning the possibility of rescue, because OP mentioned that they already have rescued dogs. It was, I think, entirely possible that one post might have been helpful to the OP in this particular situation, with the particular opening post. Henceforth and heretofore, I exercised my discretion.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

DBB wrote: »
    OP, I'm not sure if you'd consider travelling further afield, but there's a lady in Louth who breeds the nicest Shih Tsus I've ever met, temperament-wise. As I wouldn't be in contact with her, I have no idea has she any pups available right now, but I could root out her number for you if you'd be prepared for a trip to the Wee County!

Thank you all for the replies!

I have contacted a breeder in kildare and still waiting on a reply.

DBB, that would be great if you could find the number and pm it to me? Thank you! I think a trip to the countryside is on the cards.

DBB could you possibly root out this number and pm me with it please. I am also looking for a shih tzu and would like to speak to this lady. Thank you so much

I need to go ask a neighbour for this lady's number, which I'll hopefully get around to tomorrow, so bear with me and I'll PM her number on to you both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Beckyb

THEZAPPA wrote: »
    Thank you all for the replies!

I have contacted a breeder in kildare and still waiting on a reply.

DBB, that would be great if you could find the number and pm it to me? Thank you! I think a trip to the countryside is on the cards.

My friend in Kildare breeds them and shows them. I wonder if it's her you have been in contact with? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

Beckyb wrote: »

My friend in Kildare breeds them and shows them. I wonder if it's her you have been in contact with? :)

It could be, I haven't heard anything back though!

Advertisement