Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car crash!

• 15-10-2012 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭

How are you folks?

I was driving in Dublin on friday night, when a taxi man pulled out in front of me, I jammed on my brakes and my car slid and he drove off, I didnt know whether we hit or not and didnt think so. He drove off and I looked at my car to realise he had hit me, I was wondering whteher there is CCTV in dublin and whether or not it would be any use in following it up?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Surely if he pulled out infront of you - you hit him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭bobbaggio

I was sitting waiting for the traffic lights to turn green, I was first in the row of traffic going straight ahead, which had a good few cars in it, he was in the lane that was turning right, for right turn only which had no cars in it except him, and he obviously wanted to get a headstart by speeding up and pulling out in front of me and going left....which he did....fairly sure that is illegal.

But thanks for the response, real helpful

bobbaggio wrote: »
    I was sitting waiting for the traffic lights to turn green, I was first in the row of traffic going straight ahead, which had a good few cars in it, he was in the lane that was turning right, for right turn only which had no cars in it except him, and he obviously wanted to get a headstart by speeding up and pulling out in front of me and going left....which he did....fairly sure that is illegal.

But thanks for the response, real helpful

I was trying to establish the chain of events. AFAIK if you hit someone in the back you are pretty much always at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

you struck him - your in the wrong.
    Rule is simple , if you strike anything then you are at fault.

Really?

Ah jaysus, I didn't know that, seems a little bit unfair, but thanks for the replies, that clarifies it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Em........really, even if the other car "pulled out" in front of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

kippy wrote: »

99% of the time if you strike them even if they do some stupid you are are at fault.

You'd be better off on a pushbike at that rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

kippy wrote: »
    Yes - always be prepared for the unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Floggers

Really?

Ah jaysus, I didn't know that, seems a little bit unfair, but thanks for the replies, that clarifies it for me.

Are you still going to get the CCTV footage and follow it up to, see if you can fix any damage to his car?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Yes - always be prepared for the unexpected.

Okay the rules that govern who is at fault in an accident are the same rules governing causation. It is not always a who hit who situation, it's who either intentionally or negligently caused the accident. You can't be negligent where you are driving safely and there is no way for you to avoid a collision.

Haha, he drove off though!! I hope there is no CCTV....hope he doesnt come looking for me!

Predalien, thanks! I knew there had to be some kind of a rule that says this! Sure if that was the case, some lad that had a dent in his car could purposely just pull out in front of me to get his car fixed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I was trying to establish the chain of events. AFAIK if you hit someone in the back you are pretty much always at fault.

Thats not true. You could have some one reverse into you. Or as there was a case in the UK where scammers used to target people and brake test them as they entered a roundabout. They had disconnected their brake lights. Its just hard to prove without a witness or CCTV.

http://www.firstpersonalinjury.co.uk/car-accident-claims/8m-insurance-crash-scam
    http://vladtepesblog.com/?p=14656

If someone cuts across you from your right from a right turn only lane. They would have to be in the wrong. The only problem is you'd need witness'es and CCTV to prove it. You'd have to look around the area from camera pointing at the junction. A lot of them are on a loop and get wiped/rewritten after X amount of time, maybe 24 hours or a week at most. So do it quickly.

If the damage isn't much I would probably just fix it to avoid all the hassle.

Predalien, thanks! I knew there had to be some kind of a rule that says this! Sure if that was the case, some lad that had a dent in his car could purposely just pull out in front of me to get his car fixed!

Bear in mind however an objective thrid party may think that the possibility of being cut up is one every driver should be aware and planning for. I'm not trying to pin the blame on you OP - it's just very complicated.

Ah no, I understand where you are coming from, and I probably will leave it cause the damage isn't that bad. I was just wondering, because of the pure ignorance of him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I know plenty of people who have hit other vehicles and been completely in the right. The biggest one is SMIDSY drivers being T-Boned by bikes.

Saying if you hit someone your always at fault is wrong. The other driver in the OPs case preformed an illegal manoeuvre, yet you're blaming the OP for this not the other driver! No wonder our insurance is so high.

BostonB wrote: »
    Thats not true. You could have some one reverse into you. Or as there was a case in the UK where scammers used to target people and brake test them as they entered a roundabout. They had disconnected their brake lights. Its just hard to prove without a witness or CCTV.

http://www.firstpersonalinjury.co.uk/car-accident-claims/8m-insurance-crash-scam
    http://vladtepesblog.com/?p=14656

If someone cuts across you from your right from a right turn only lane. They would have to be in the wrong. The only problem is you'd need witness'es and CCTV to prove it. You'd have to look around the area from camera pointing at the junction. A lot of them are on a loop and get wiped/rewritten after X amount of time, maybe 24 hours or a week at most. So do it quickly.

If the damage isn't much I would probably just fix it to avoid all the hassle.

I'd say the exceptions fit into the definition of "pretty much". Also when we're talking about being hit I think we're limiting to 'rear ending'. If the taxi had side swiped or it was a glancing collision I think the situation would be different. This is all, of course, from an uneducated, non-legal advice, just chewing the fat instead of listening to my lecture on double use, kind of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'd say the exceptions fit into the definition of "pretty much". Also when we're talking about being hit I think we're limiting to 'rear ending'. If the taxi had side swiped or it was a glancing collision I think the situation would be different. This is all, of course, from an uneducated, non-legal advice, just chewing the fat instead of listening to my lecture on double use, kind of way.

I was responding specificilly to this post
    The rule is not that simple, if you strike anything you are not always at fault, it is completely determined by the events leading up to the "strike".

The issue is proving that you are not at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

Only if in the same lane, that logic cannot be applied to a vehicle joining from another lane/parking space etc.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement

I've certainly seen people hit reverse at lights (or traffic) in error. I've also had experience of when merging into a lane, the person in front brake testing me for no good reason other than badness. I've also had a taxi reverse at me, because I blew the horn at them because they forced me to emergency stop, by pulling out across me. If they'd hit me, I would have difficulty in proving I didn't hit them from the rear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

BostonB wrote: »
    I've certainly seen people hit reverse at lights (or traffic) in error. I've also had experience of when merging into a lane, the person in front brake testing me for no good reason other than badness. I've also had a taxi reverse at me, because I blew the horn at them because they forced me to emergency stop, by pulling out across me. If they'd hit me, I would have difficulty in proving I didn't hit them from the rear.

That's why there's a huge thread in motors

Considering the nutters out there, I would be tempted with a camera myself. I'd love to have got the guy this morning. I was queued for the other side of the yellow, box, as the traffic moved, I started across and some twit undertook in the bus lane and swerved into the gap. Leaving me in the yellow box. A cop could turn up and only take that at face value and give you a ticket.

Advertisement