Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Away From Tri

Options
  • 15-10-2012 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

A catchy title.. I think.

After 4/5 years of tri I am taking a step back. I will concentrate on running for the next year and see how I feel after that.

For the last 6-8 months I have struggled to really give it my all. I hardly swam in the lead up to Antwerp and I missed quite a few bike sessions and long runs. I woke up most Saturday mornings dreading the 4hr bike that was ahead.

As it stands I can't see myself committing the time and effort needed for another HIM season, let alone a full IM season.

So, with all this in mind I think a year or racing 10km/HMs might be my best option for now. 10hrs run training each week is a decent amount compared to 10hrs of Bike/Swim/Run which isn't.

I am leaving my log here as I have more of an affiliation to the T/D/A than A/R and it may still have the odd cycle update with Tango and co.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

If the interest ain't there any more then it sounds like a good idea.

10hrs a week running will give you serious improvements!!!! That's 100km a week or so. Best of luck with it.

You gonna drop the swimming?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good man logging again. It will be interesting to see how similar time invested in one discipline will pan out. Any run specific goals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Best of luck Colm, 100% right call if the enjoyment was no longer there. Enjoy the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck Colm. You should see serious run gains :cool:

I'm fooked if 10 hours a week isn't enough for tri! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Cheers. It will be interesting to see how it pans out, I would hope for decent enough returns from a run focussed plan.

As I stand, I am just back from 10 nights in San Francisco, Yosemite and Vegas... My sum total of exercise was a couple of hikes and one 8 mile cycle over the Golden Gate bridge.

Ate loads, celebrated a bit too much and considered a mobility scooter by the end (it seems quite common). My plan for the week is to get out for 30-40mins easy each day and see where I am.

@Mcos, goals.. none yet. A 'decent' 10km time and a decent HM time. Decent for me at the moment would be sub 40 and sub 90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

mloc123 wrote: »
    @Mcos, goals.. none yet. A 'decent' 10km time and a decent HM time. Decent for me at the moment would be sub 40 and sub 90.

I'm hoping to get to that level also (over an extended period :rolleyes:) so please do update here when appropriate so I can lurk and learn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Cheers. It will be interesting to see how it pans out, I would hope for decent enough returns from a run focussed plan.

As I stand, I am just back from 10 nights in San Francisco, Yosemite and Vegas... My sum total of exercise was a couple of hikes and one 8 mile cycle over the Golden Gate bridge.

Ate loads, celebrated a bit too much and considered a mobility scooter by the end (it seems quite common). My plan for the week is to get out for 30-40mins easy each day and see where I am.

Celebrated???

tunney wrote: »
    Celebrated???

My winnings in Vegas... oh and getting engaged in San Francisco :)

CONGRATS! Great news :cool:

pgibbo wrote: »

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

+1 congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Congrats! Took your time mentioning that ;-)

Best of luck with the new goals. Ive been just running the past 7-8 weeks or so and it feels like im doing nothing! Herself has even commented that i seem to be around much more! Loving that side of it.

Bambaata wrote: »
    Best of luck with the new goals. Ive been just running the past 7-8 weeks or so and it feels like im doing nothing! Herself has even commented that i seem to be around much more! Loving that side of it.

Yup, that is half the problem too.. Claire has been great the last couple of years, but I feel bad at the weekends when she asks how many hours I have to cycle tomorrow etc... Even getting out at 6am it kills the day off.

My winnings in Vegas... oh and getting engaged in San Francisco :)

Congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Congratulations and well done on setting yourself new goals. Could potentially see myself doing something similar in years to come. I'm 'just' running at the moment too and it is quite liberating in some ways.

Not much to note, played a game of 5-a-side last night... I am unfit. By the end I was wheezing and coughing.

5-a-side = recipe for injury.......

5-a-side = recipe for injury.......

Why I gave up playing about 3 years ago.... have to have fun every now and then :)

Went for a woddle last night, it was pretty depressing. It took me 20minutes to find a tshirt that would fit, after that I sat about and wondered how I had let it get to this.

Out for a planned 30 easy, had to swallow my pride and run as slow as possible ignoring the pace on my Garmin. A taxi driver tried him best to hit me 1.5km in, pulling out of a garage he didn't bother to look for pedestrians.. I had spotted him pulling in to do a turn around and had already adjusted my route to avoid him.

Pretty achey today after it... after a 30 minute jog :(

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/234753375

Here is our route from one of the hikes in Yosemite Park while away, I hope it is the slowest 10km I ever do :)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/231899657

and its going to get worse before it gets better :o but in a few weeks it'll be forgotten as the run fitness comes back slowly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Keep the runs short and easy for a while. Build gradually. Listen to the body. It will come.

Easy 7.5km this morning with 'The Painter', he is in marathon taper. 5:35/km pace which felt okay.

@Mcos yup, I reckon it will take 2-3 months to get back to where I was around May-June, that is fine.

Not much to note. I am running easy 5 days a week for now, getting back into it.

Looks like I will be running the Edinburgh HM in May as a goal race, plenty of 5k/10k races between now and then.

It's a nice HM by all accounts. A couple of friends of mine ran it a few years ago.

So it turns out that I miss biking. I am going to start back doing a bit, I am away next week and should get my power meter back from Tango the following week.

Since Ireland has on Summer Duathlons I may end up turning to the 'Messing' side of the 'Triahlon/Duathlon/Messing' forum, I kayaked years ago.. that that any of the 'Adventure' races have a proper kayak section anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Our first "adventure racing" log.

Note how everyone puts the quotation marks in these days for fear of a lecture from Enduro :D

Emmmmm

Let me say now, this will not be a messing log. It is a pity there are no Duathlons on from March-September.

Let me say now, this will not be a messing log. It is a pity there are no Duathlons on from March-September.

Hey but aren't...........

Oh wait I see what you did there :)

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Hey but aren't...........

Oh wait I see what you did there :)

Like I said, there are NO duathlons on in Ireland during the summer :)

Advertisement