Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beco Gemini baby sling / carrier - any opinions?

Options
  • 15-10-2012 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I've an offer to buy a Beco Gemini baby sling / carrier from a colleague for 40 euro, not used much aparently. Reviews on mumsnet etc. sound good. Any opinions good or bad on this? And does 40e sound like a fair price for little-used secondhand?

http://www.mumsnet.com/reviews/on-the-move/baby-carriers-and-baby-slings/9507-beco-gemini

My first instinct on seeing it was that it didn't have support for a newborn's head, but in fact it does, it just fold down if/when you don't need it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

http://www.babywearingireland.ie/ have a sling libary that you can try 2 different type of slings for Eur15 for two weeks. Slings are very personal some people love one and hate others. Would your friend let you try it first to see if its comfortable ? or see if there are any sling meetings near you and you could try one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Can't agree more with the foodaholics suggestion, Babywearing Ireland are brilliant, so much advice and experience, and a very extensive library!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Wow, what an amazing resource!! I'm so impressed, had no idea such a thing existed in Ireland!

It's slightly overwhelming too, given the huge range; I'm not entirely sure where to start. Will defo ask my colleague if we can try hers out for a few days (once the lil fella arrives, he's still got a couple of weeks to go!) so that's one of the "Soft Structured Carriers" covered.

Would you suggest I try one from each of the other 'types', i.e.:
    * Stretchy Wraps
    * Woven Wraps
    * Asian style carrier
    * Ring Slings
    ?

If so, should I just let them pick "one of them" for me, or do you have any particular recommendations? There have been a couple of names showing up online while I've been researching the Beco, but they all seem to be Soft Structured Carriers, and I'm guessing are the ones with the biggest marketing budgets rather than necessarily the "best"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Where about are you based - see if there is a sling meeting near you and you can try a few.
    Stretchy Wraps are great for new squishes, you can pre wrap it and leave it on you all day and just pop babes in and out during the day.

Woven wraps are a bit harder to get a grasp off - I got a baby wearing consultant to come to me and show me how to do it. Well worth it.

SSC are great but so many types and variety that its important to try them to see which ones you like best.

I started off with a ring sling - was shown at a babywearing meeting how to use and I love it. Its great for when babes wants up down and up again. Also great when your just running into the shops

The asian style carriers (mei tais) are easy enough to get a grasp of but I didnt like the long straps on them - found SSC easier to use, but handy if you and OH where going to wear the baby.

Really cant advise going to a sling meeting to get a grasp of whats suitable for you. And everyone is so nice. They are on Facebook to babywearing Ireland and they put up info re meetings ect

HTH and I didnt scare you off :p
    Its the best feeling in the world wearing your baby, its the only time my girl will give me a hug !!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

we just got a beco gemini on sat. We have used a mixture of wraps and slings but now shes over 6 months and nearly 18lbs a ssc was needed for the extra support I found.

We took her to a local babywearing store and we tried her in a few ssc's. The gemini was her favourite and its really comfy for me or hubby to wear. Shes been in it alot already and shes had a nap eachtime there is a good bit of head support in it. I like it better than a sleep hood but thats personal preference.

Oh and 40e is a bargain if it is actually in good shape, even if its not. They are 100stg brand new

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 The Pram Doctor

I think that one is the best of them all. I'm still using it and this is what I've done when having my baby/toddler in it:
    - traveled with Ryan air with my two toddlers (one on the back), with 3 bags a 10kg in the front cabin luggage
    - horse riding
    - paired my mares hooves
    - renovated the inside of the house incl. painting the ceilings
    - painted the outside of the house (bungalow)
    - hiking
    - helped moving house
    - nursing my chap
    - even went to the WC with kid "on board"

€40 is a super bargain!

Advertisement