Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dam Localism

Options
  • 15-10-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Im not asking for advice hear but just starting a thread to see if any of you guys have had the uncomfortable experience of Localism being directed at you when you show up to a new spot??? and if so was it abroad or at home in Ireland.
    Personally Ive gotten the stink eye at a few off the radar spots but never been verbally or physically gone at.
    And actually have you ever at any stage found yourself dishing it out to out of towners.

I think In Ireland we are lucky we have not got groups trying to run things in the line-up like in Hawaii and Oz/ other places yet, but you never know with the surf industry getting bigger in Ireland locals might get more hostile.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Gunnerkid wrote: »
    but you never know with the surf industry getting bigger in Ireland locals might get more hostile.

Surfing is in decline in ireland, haven't seen breaks this empty in years:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

had an english guy in sligo roaring at me to f7ck off to wherever i'd come from (about 5mins from the break, three generations) once in a wave priority dispute. it's actually funny when you think about it. he's got bigger problems and i'm not the only one he's shouted at, theres a long list!

when i lived in san diego i had a nice wee local break a few hundred meters from where i lived. been surfing there a while and there was a bunch of locals, dads with their grown sons etc... tough enough looking too. one day i dropped in by mistake on some guys dad and nearly collided. his son ploughed over, i thought it was gonna go all point break on me. he says you crazy irish baetard and started laughing. got on great with them all after that, like my introduction. he must have heard me chatting in the line up to know i was a paddy

easkey is meant to have a bunch of losers thinking they're running the show there but i don't surf it so it's only what i've heard.

in general, localism is non existent here as there's not the crowding of hawaii, cally, florida, france, parts of aus etc...

localism is sad, the sea is for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

I can think of 1 particular pr*ck at Easky who thinks he owns the place - yet declined to go ashore and discuss it when confronted about it. Localism is bullsh*t - ocean's a big place and nobody owns it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

I can think of 1 particular pr*ck at Easky who thinks he owns the place - yet declined to go ashore and discuss it when confronted about it. Localism is bullsh*t - ocean's a big place and nobody owns it.
    Life is to short for that kinda ****, if you don't like the vibe in the water, surf somewhere else and stop complaining about it

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Like it or not, localism is usually a reaction to lack of acknowledgement or respect shown to those surfing a spot day in day out. There are exceptions of pricks out there, but usually the cold shoulder, stink eye or wave taking is usually a reaction to people arriving at a spot and not respecting the line up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I have'nt really encountered any localism but in a new surf spot I'll usually wait in the wings for a while before I go for any waves. Saying hello never hurts either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Got a great put down by a local at a surf spot in Mayo, it had been pumping earlier but none of the local were around, later that evening there were a good few out surfing and here was good craic and banter between everybody, I said to one of them “you should have been here earlier” her reply was “no you should be here all the time” – pure class!

This spot doesn’t suffer from crowds so they are always in good form and have good craic with everybody.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Never had first hand experience of localism myself. Heard stories about Easkey alright, but the few times I was in the water there I've never been given any trouble.

If I've never been out somewhere before I always hang out on the shoulder for a while before going for anytihing and always take the time to say hello or give a nod to anyone else in the water.

I tend to stick to Mayo anyway, most of our spots tend not to get as much of a crowd as the ones in Sligo or Clare which is fine by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

rodento wrote: »
    Life is to short for that kinda ****, if you don't like the vibe in the water, surf somewhere else and stop complaining about it
    Not complaining, just making an observation. I give respect to the local crew and I expect it back. The a$$hole in question gives no respect to anyone but doesn't have the sauce to back up the attitude - though having said that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. For the most part the vibe here is much more chilled out than at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

Got a great put down by a local at a surf spot in Mayo, it had been pumping earlier but none of the local were around, later that evening there were a good few out surfing and here was good craic and banter between everybody, I said to one of them “you should have been here earlier” her reply was “no you should be here all the time” – pure class!

This spot doesn’t suffer from crowds so they are always in good form and have good craic with everybody.

What part of mayo was this!!class response

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 bobo26b

In Lahinch out the back by the cliff face there was this one dickhead that would go for every wave I tried to go for. At first I let the guy catch a few presuming he was a local, but when he kept cutting me off the wave I got pissed and started giving out to him, my buddy also joined in because he was having the same issue with the guy.
    He pulled out of the set for a while and then came back in, had know problem with him when he allowed other people to have a fare go out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

class response

Yeah class response.

......if you're like 8,

.....in the school playground!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Here is some dam Localism for ya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW7kRrxODHU

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Geomy wrote: »
    Here is some dam Localism for ya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW7kRrxODHU
    Hah, very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

very funny! "kp's gonna t1tty f7ck this wave...." great stuff!!!
    must use that in a session for the craic!

Advertisement