Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor or Three coverage, Spiddal

Options
  • 12-10-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

Hey. I'm currently living in Spiddal and looking to buy a smartphone. At the moment i'm with vodafone but they don't give much internet usage so i'm switching. I have an 02 internet dongle and in my flat the reception is terrible so i won't be going with them (also low internet cap) Which leaves Meteor or Three. Anyone have any experience with them in Spiddal? Are internet speeds fast. Do they work off 3G speeds out here. Also I presume both would work fine in the city?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

I live in spiddal... I was with meteor and i'm with 3 now. I find 3 very good and cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

Do you use the internet on your phone. Have you got 3G Coverage?

Thanks for the reply

Hey guys I posted this in the Galway County boards (sorry mod!) already but got no answers so said i'd try here as maybe someone works out in Spiddal or travels here frequently?

I'm looking sign up to a Three or Meteor contract and was just wondering if anyone has experience with either in Spiddal. How is the signal? Is 3G available. I presume in the city centre there are no problems with either?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

No problem with 3 in city. It actually will roam onto Vodafone if the signal is stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Flynn wrote: »
    Hey guys I posted this in the Galway County boards (sorry mod!) already but got no answers so said i'd try here as maybe someone works out in Spiddal or travels here frequently?

I'm looking sign up to a Three or Meteor contract and was just wondering if anyone has experience with either in Spiddal. How is the signal? Is 3G available. I presume in the city centre there are no problems with either?

Thanks

Don't travel west much but I have found meteor coverage to be sporadic in Co Galway. I've had no problems as yet with 3 (using it for about 1 year). They also have the national broadband contract so (in theory) will have data coverage across most of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Both are crap in Furbo and Spiddal but OK in Barna.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

From a Post in the Meteor Forum

"Well its only bloody taken about 7 phone calls to them but finally I have some, if not pleasing, reliable information.

Meteor have finally acknowledged that there is a major hardware fault with a main transmitting mast affecting, I was told the Galway Offaly Clare and Tipperary region. RCM was mentioned; whatever that is?

This fault has existed for the past fortnight and they are waiting on a replacement part to be shipped on site!

You heard it here first folk!

Meteor please get your in-house lines of communication working, so that your paying customers don't have to do the network fault finding. "

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056772493

Meteor has been brutal in Galway for over two weeks.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Really? That's unsettling :(

Thanks for the other replies too, seems Three is slightly ahead of meteor. Plus the tethering kind of sells it for me. Confirmed 3G in Spiddal would have me sold so if anyone else would care to add please do but seems Sponge Bob Has already answered that question :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved to county from city as it pertains to county.
    Get a sim from each in their shops then try them out yourself. Reception can vary greatly so what works for someone else might not be the best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I work out in Spiddal and recently switched to 3. I find it to be great. The 3G signal is not fantastic compared to the city, but perfectly usable for my emails, browsing and the occasional video when things are quiet.
    Spongebob wrote:

Just in Furbo is where I find it drops

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Moved to county from city as it pertains to county.
    Get a sim from each in their shops then try them out yourself. Reception can vary greatly so what works for someone else might not be the best for you.

Indeed it does pertain to the County but sometimes posting in less busy forums posts go unnoticed.. a couple days in county got me no answers while one morning in city got me quite a few helpful answers!

My phone isn't unlocked so can't try each network but thanks for the suggestion

I work out in Spiddal and recently switched to 3. I find it to be great. The 3G signal is not fantastic compared to the city, but perfectly usable for my emails, browsing and the occasional video when things are quiet.

Cheers Redhaired guy. Think i'll go with Three then. Do you tether with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

Cheers Redhaired guy. Think i'll go with Three then. Do you tether with them?[/Quote]

No tethering allowed anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056760693

Sorry if there was any confusion Cathal Mc. Tethering isn't permitted on any contract signed after January 2012, but that isn't specific to the price plans which is why the agent you spoke to would not have thought to mention it. The full T&Cs of your contract are here if you'd like to review them.
    Sorry to clarify, I'm talking about normal billpay accounts and prepay. Business accounts are separate from this policy and your account manager will have the correct info.

Advertisement