Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Idiot attacks a gurkha with a knife...

• 15-10-2012 1:18pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-19944833

Full article below. To summarize: it escalated quickly.
    We should have a gurkha legendary-ness thread. :D

"Gurkha veteran in Maidstone attack 'unaware of five-inch blade'
    Taitex Phlamachha with his wife, Asha Gurkha veteran Taitex Phlamachha said his self-defence training saved his life

A former Gurkha from Kent who fought off a mugger was unaware the attacker's knife had snapped, leaving the five inch blade embedded in his left arm.

Taitex Phlamachha, 38, was with his wife when he was attacked after withdrawing money from a cash machine in Maidstone on 7 October.

He managed to overcome his attacker and hold on until police arrived.

The black belt in karate and taekwondo only realised he had been stabbed when police used a metal detector on him.

A 39-year-old man from Maidstone has been charged with assault.
    Metal detector

Mr Phlamachha, who served with Maidstone's 36 Engineers for 12 years, said his self-defence training undoubtedly saved his life.
    The five inch blade in Taitex Phlamachha's arm A police officer found the five-inch blade by using a metal detector

"The knife was coming towards my chest. I just blocked that knife with my right hand but unfortunately couldn't manage to save my left arm," he recalled.

"I saw the knife was broken somewhere but didn't realise it was inside my arm.

"Then I noticed he [the attacker] was holding the handle of the knife which I took control of and threw away."

He also managed to throw his mobile phone to his wife Asha so she could call 999.

Mr Phlamachha, who runs a grocery shop, said he only realised the blade of the knife was embedded in his arm when a police officer used a metal detector on his body.

"I am really lucky to survive," he said. "

==========

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Isnt every knife attack repugnant?

The fact it was a gurkha shouldnt change that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

eeek, dunno how he didn't notice a 5 inch blade stuck in his arm! good thing the metal detector was in hand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

the gurkas are complete badasses. there was a story about one a few years back stopping a group of blokes raping a woman on a train, must try find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Did he not notice he was bleeding?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

At what point does one think it's a great idea to attack a gurkha with a knife? That would be akin to challanging Mohammad Ali, Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee to a fist fight at the same time. You're only going to get your head kicked in and have no one else to blame, but yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

summerskin wrote: »
    *Paging Seanchai to AH, Paging Seanchai. Imperialist, Empire building war-monger post urgently needed*

Bit unneccessary, that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Bit unneccessary, that.

Perhaps. Deleted it now, if you would be so kind as to do likewise.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The start of that story is so confusing. Is the guys wifes name, the same as his??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

the gurkas are complete badasses. there was a story about one a few years back stopping a group of blokes raping a woman on a train, must try find it.

I remember that. Fought off 20 armed guys or something crazy like that, i think he actually killed e few of them.
    You just don't fúck with some people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Taitex Phlamachha... even that name is badass

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Seen that, and killed three of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

getzls wrote: »
    Seen that, and killed three of them.

with mindbullets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I attacked a gherkin with a knife once. Sliced the little bastard into pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Gets himself stabbed in a mugging situation and he's a hero? :eek: Am I missing something here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Itzy wrote: »
    At what point does one think it's a great idea to attack a gurkha with a knife? That would be akin to challanging Mohammad Ali, Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee to a fist fight at the same time. You're only going to get your head kicked in and have no one else to blame, but yourself.

You reckon he had a big sign over his head that read 'Gurkha' in big, capitalized, neon letters?' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Gets himself stabbed in a mugging situation and he's a hero? :eek: Am I missing something here?

Yes. You're missing the same thing he is; the fact he had a knife in his arm and didn't get bothered.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Andy!! wrote: »
    You reckon he had a big sign over his head that read 'Gurkha' in big, capitalized, neon letters?' :pac:

It's AH, go with it. Anyway, any sort of attack on a person involving a knife is just down right stupid and senseless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Yes. You're missing the same thing he is; the fact he had a knife in his arm and didn't get bothered.

Which means it wasn't sore or bothering him at that point. Often the case with injuries like that.
    It also means the knife could have gone anywhere which is a massive fail imo, he was 'lucky' that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Would have been more bad ass if he pulled the knife from himself and stabbed the mugger with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Attacking a Gurkha with a knife, never has there been a better moment for "call that a knife? That's not a knife.....now THIS is a knife" and he whips out a kukhri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I remember that too, fierce warriors alright.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Would have been more bad ass if he pulled the knife from himself and stabbed the mugger with it.

"I saw the knife was broken somewhere but didn't realise it was inside my arm."

Give the man a chance, he didn't even know he was carrying a knife.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Since when have the police carried metal detectors :confused::confused:

Ps: That story is badly written

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

There was also the case in Afghanistan when they were supposed to capture/kill some Taliban warlord. During the firefight, the Gurkhas killed the guy in question and had to identify him. They didn't have a camera so cut his head off and threw it onto the commanders desk when they got back, just to make sure it was him. Badass indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Aren't we supposed to hate members of British Army units? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

anncoates wrote: »
    Aren't we supposed to hate members of British Army units? :pac:

The traitors in particular, the bastards! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

seamus wrote: »
    “Fighting the enemy in battle is my duty as a soldier; taking on the dacoits in the train was my duty as a human being,”
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

smash wrote: »
    didn't have time to bleed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

smash wrote: »
    Gurkhas don't bleed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Andy!! wrote: »

Probably not, but when you're in a town with its own Gurkha regiment, its probably not a good idea to mess with anyone Nepalese looking, just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

They are mad, that story from Afghanistan is crazy, 1 Gurkha basically stopped their compound being overrun by Taliban, using a tripod to attack the enemy after running out if ammo!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1393355/Hero-Gurkha-handed-bravery-medal-Queen-said-I-thought-I-going-die--I-tried-kill-I-could.html

Advertisement