Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Ingredient of the Week 7: White Fish

Options
  • 15-10-2012 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks:

This week's IOTW thread is for you white fish recipes (cod, pollock, whiting, plaice, etc, etc...).

tHB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Brilliant THB, am always looking for new fish ideas!

I had salted pollock with a chorizo and butterbean stew during the week (I posted a pic in the Here's What I Had for Dinner thread), it is so simple to prepare and so very tasty. Served it with warm crusty bread for mopping! Here's the recipe:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/salted_pollack_with_a_41672

My OH went boat fishing yesterday for a couple of hours and caught a beautiful sea bass which I will be cooking this evening - will post up the recipe once I've figured out what to do with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I eat ALOT of white fish (living with an obsessed sea angler) and the following recipe is my favourite way to eat Cod.

Cod with Catalan Spinach

For the cod:

4 fillets of cod (175g per fillet approx)
    olive oil
    salt and pepper
    lemon wedges to serve

For the Catalan Spinach:
    55g raisins
    55g pine nuts
    4tbsp olive oill
    3 crushed garlic cloves
    500g baby spinach leaves washed and shaken dry

Method

Firstly, put the raisins in a small bowl with boiling water and leave to soak for 15 mins.

Meanwhile brush the cod fillets with oil, season with salt and pepper and grill for 8-10 mins.

While the cod is cooking, roast the pine nuts in a dry hot pan (be very careful as they burn easily) until toasted brown and set aside.

Heat the olive oil in the pan, add the garlic and fry until golden. Remove garlic and discard.

Add the spinach to the pan, cover and cook for 4-5mins until wilted. Add the raisins and pine nuts and cook uncovered until all the liquid evaporates.

Serve the cod on a bed of spinach with a squeeze of lemon juice. I usually eat with boiled rice.

I don't have a photo of the dish so I've just included a photo of the spinach I got online so you have an idea of how it turns out:

6drgci.jpg

Pan-fried sea bass with sizzled ginger, chilli and spring onion this evening.

Fried in a little oil until skin was just crisp. Then did the following:

Heat the remaining oil, then fry the ginger (cut into lengthway strips), garlic (3 cloves finely sliced) and chillies (2 red chillis sliced) for about 2 mins until golden. Take off the heat and toss in the spring onions. Splash the fish with a little soy sauce and spoon over the contents of the pan. Or you could use nam plah either. The flavours are beautifully delicate and don't compromise the flavour of the sea bass in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

baked pollock
    this is a quick easy dish

6 fillets of pollock
    1 onion finely chopped
    3 bay leaves
    25g butter
    single cream to cover fish about 300ml-600ml
    15g roux
    salt and pepper to taste

melt butter in pan just large enough to take fish
    fry onions till soft
    put fish in pan and cook on each side for 1 min
    season with salt/pepper
    add bay leaves,
    cover with cream and simmer with lid on for 5 mins
    remove fish and keep warm
    bring the cooking liquid to the boil and whisk in roux
    add more seasoning if needed
    coat the fish with sauce and serve
    we have boiled potatoes and veg

this freezes well if you making dinners in advance
    thaw out, and reheat in oven 180c for 10 to 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Can I just take the liberty of linking the lovely fish pie from the cooking club:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65471065

I've made this countless times and it's the nicest fish pie I've tasted.

I don't add the potatoes, but add frozen sweetcorn and fresh parsley and serve with rice. The cherry tomatoes are the nicest bit so pile them on.

I usually use flounder, ling or whiting (trying to conserve fish stocks of popular species) but did it once with bass and it was shamefully amazing.

• Advertisement

I make seafood chowder and quite a bit it is always quite a crowd pleaser! I make this regularly using Kevin Dundon's recipe and have learnt over time that it is really a meal in itself so if serving when entertaining I'd watch the portion sizes as it's pretty substantial (as well as totally yum)! Here's the recipe:

http://www.kevindundon.com/duncanonSeafoodChowder.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I eat a lot of white fish. Mostly Haddock. I mainly coat it in seasoned flour and pan fry it in butter and olive oil.

I bought some ray recently and the recipe I used called for a butter, capers, parsley and lemon juice sauce. It was amazing. I'd say the sauce would work perfect for any white fish.

Here's the recipe http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9078/ray-with-buttery-parsley-and-capers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I've always been a devotee of a good fish soup or stew, not talking Chowder here although I'm a big fan of that also. I hadn't made one in years and back then it was a very fiddly Bouillabaise recipe I followed. Anyway a couple of weeks ago I had a go by myself, the result is amazing, at least to me and my family. My wife is pregnant so I've not even used shellfish, I can't imagine how good it will be. The fish I used today was just cod and Monk, skinless boneless and without the annoying membrane.

I chopped some celery, garlic, peppers, onion, mushroom, 8 skinless tomatoes, I had dried lemongrass so put in 3 sticks(also used fennel in the past). Poured over a full bottle of wine and a pint of fish stock,tablespoon of curry powder also, brought to the boil and then into the oven for two hours at 140. Back onto the hob then and tossed the fish in for 10 minutes, squeezed a full lemon in for the last few.
    Served with finely grated emmanthal cheese in the french style and crusty bread, liberal spinkling of chili flakes for myself.

The 3 kids loved it and they are all under 6.
    I may have forgotten something but don't think so.

Anyway it is amazing, how could I improve on that??

Edit: Also had a big leek in there, chopped into fine rings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Merged with 'ingredient of the week' thread.

Anyway it is amazing, how could I improve on that??

It sounds absolutely gorgeous. I take it you're looking for suggestions on what else would work? The change I would make is to add the juice of a lime rather than a lemon, only because you used so much lemongrass and I do think the two complement each other beautifully. A wee knob of ginger might have been nice too when adding the onions and garlic. It sounds lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Valentine Warner did this recipe in the first series of What to Eat Now. Can be made with grey mullet or hake, or any other firm white fish.

Ingredients

Hake or grey mullet fillets, skinned and cut into chunks
    olive oil
    1 whole head of garlic, chopped in half
    bashed coriander seeds
    chopped onions
    thyme
    bay leaves
    oregano
    dried chilli
    chopped tomatoes
    juice of 1 orange
    white wine
    saffron
    chunks of potato
    chopped parsley

Instructions

Fry the garlic in some olive oil and add the coriander seeds, chopped onions, thyme, bay leaves, oregano, dried chilli and stir in some chopped tomatoes and the orange juice. Add some white wine and saffron and chunks of potato, season and cook until the spuds are ready and then add the fish fillets and
    cook for a futher 6 minutes, add a dash of olive oil and sprinkle with chopped parsley to serve.

Mr. Merkin cooks Salted Cod with Beer, Bacon and Cabbage for us periodically and it's really lovely. I think it's a Rick Stein recipe. Very simple to do but delicious

http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/140869/grilled-salted-cod-with-beer-bacon-and-cabbage

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we have done this recipe with cod and it works well:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056767782

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

roast cod with spicy chorizo pepperonata.

1 onion, sliced thinly
    1 clove garlic
    Chorizo ( as much as you like)
    1 can tomatoes
    2 red peppers

Fry onions and garlic gently until soft. Add slices of chorizo and fry for a few minutes. Add a can of tomatoes and the sliced peppers.
    Season and add chilli ( as much as you like, but don't swamp the fish with heat.) Stew gently for 30 minutes with the lid off, stirring occasionally.

Smear butter in a dish. Add the cod and smear some butter on top.
    Roast at 180 until cooked.

This is the sort of recipe that you can play with a lot.
    You can leave out the chorizo ( but why would you do that ?).
    You can replace the chilli with herbs.

I haven't had this is ages. Must do it soon.

I have just remembered that there is a post on white fish recipes at the moment. Maybe one of the mods should merge this in.

Advertisement