Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurers strike a blow for wimmins lib!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Irish insurance company in f**king over it's customers shocker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭TheFruitarian

Selling popcorn at just €1, get your hot popcorn here!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They are raising the premiums for women, but they are not lowering men's insurance costs.
    This is all you need to know,

It's a money grab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Rather than increase prices for women, they should meet halfway by reducing male premiums and increasing women's premiums but not to the extent that they are saying.

The insurer's are actually benefiting from their new "equality stance" rather than the consumer - they're making more money by claiming "equality" yet the original maths still stands as women are a lower risk but they are now being charged the same.

Women = low risk = low premium
    Men = higher risk = higher premium

Equality revision
    women = low risk = higher premium
    men = higher risk = higher premium

Claiming "equality" is actually a clever revenue generating model - the difference should be split between the two sexes

Shock horror, the Irish people still being F*cked over in a recession

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think we all consider it a shame that rates weren't adjusted so that they were even, to cover the balance already being paid to insurance companies instead of seeing it as a means to raise women's costs similar to men and getting themselves a nice big bonus from it.

It's another win for insurance companies here.

-Its compulsory
    -They make up their own rates
    -They got a free boost to their women's rates

Seriously it's a business model that can't go wrong.

...unless your surname is Quinn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Irish insurance company in f**king over it's customers shocker!

It's all EU insurance companies and not just Irish. I got a letter from my financial advisor a few weeks back. Life- and health- insurance for men are going to increase considerably after Dec. 21st. I can expect a 20-25% rise in my health insurance premium so that I am on equal par with womens health insurance. Bloody joke, that works out at an extra €100 a month for me. F*ck these equal rights :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I'm all for equality. Car insurance quotes should be dependant upon the safety record of the individual driver and not biased towards a gender.

Now, as for your question "how come the girls weren't fighting tooth and nail for this equality over the decades?" well, who the Hell fights to pay more for a service? The bias here is against men so perhaps men were too lazy to fight for their own equality in this area.

I would like to see the inequality evened up however I don't see why one group should pay more instead of the other group paying less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

"AS many as 200,000 women are facing motor insurance increases of up to €300-a-year, the Irish Independent has learned"

On the ball as usual are the independent.

This news is at least a year old if not more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Spread wrote: »
    How come the girls weren't fighting tooth and nail for this equality over the decades?

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/car-insurance-for-200000-women-to-increase-by-300-3258956.html

Because the risk to the insurer wasn't equal. From your own article:
    Women have traditionally paid much less for insurance than men because they are less risky drivers.
    They are raising the premiums for women, but they are not lowering men's insurance costs. This is because men are involved in a far greater number of serious and expensive accidents.

Anyway it seems to me that in this scenario, neither gender are benefiting, only the insurance companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

This news is at least a year old if not more.

The EU ruled on it a year ago but the change only comes into effect next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭TheBoss!

Now, as for your question "how come the girls weren't fighting tooth and nail for this equality over the decades?" well, who the Hell fights to pay more for a service?

It's wasn't about fighting to "pay more" - the point is put to show that equality was not sought in that area as the bias that existed, suited women, which would be fine if those groups were merely "women's rights" groups, but that wasn't the case, as the OP is referring to those that defined themselves as Equality seeking organizations.
    The bias here is against men so perhaps men were too lazy to fight for their own equality in this area.
    Men weren't "too lazy", they argued against the bias for years but were usually just laughed at and accused of whinging. Male lobby groups never had the ear of politicians in the same way as our sexual counterparts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

..................................................................................

Anyway it seems to me that in this scenario, neither gender are benefiting, only the insurance companies.
    Exactly. I think they should have lowered men's and raised women's to a mid level. The idea of Insurance is to spread the risk ......... but compulsory insurance (CAR) is a cash cow for the Insurance industry. Surely the Ombudsman should put the slide rule over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Insurance for women goes up adding extra expenditure to the family.
    Calls OH to break it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Insurance companies are rival businesses, sooner or later they will reduce male premiums due to the extra revenue from the women so that they can out price each other. That is assuming they are not colluding on prices which is illegal.

Insurance companies are rival businesses, sooner or later they will reduce male premiums due to the extra revenue from the women so that they can out price each other. That is assuming they are not colluding on prices which is illegal.
    Ahem! But that then will not be the homogenised version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

About time too.

And all the women out there thinking, "ah feck that, why should we pay higher premiums when men are the risk factor.." B0!!ox to that.

I have 0% chance of getting pregnant, but still pay for your maternity leave.

/runsandhides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It'll be really amusing if my insurance goes up because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

How come the girls weren't fighting tooth and nail for this equality over the decades?

Because the feminist movement - what there is of it - isn't really about equality. That's why they call themselves feminists not equalitists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

About time too.

And all the women out there thinking, "ah feck that, why should we pay higher premiums when men are the risk factor.." B0!!ox to that.

I have 0% chance of getting pregnant, but still pay for your maternity leave.

/runsandhides

Ahem...women don't get pregnant on their own y'know. Men have a 50% stake in a pregnancy ;)

I'm sure many women would happily give up their maternity leave if the man could carry, deliver and breastfeed the baby instead!

• Advertisement

Ahem...women don't get pregnant on their own y'know. Men have a 50% stake in a pregnancy ;)

I'm sure many women would happily give up their maternity leave if the man could carry, deliver and breastfeed the baby instead!

I find your first part very anti turkey baster

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A while back it was revealled that Irish car insurance companies were more proffitable than UK ones.

And that wasn't per capita.

They were making more on the much smaller Irish market than the UK one.

Then again PMPA, ICI and Quinn have shown that there isn't much regulation in the Irish insurance market.

Because it has nothing to do with equality, it should be based on stats. Much like women paying more to purchase an annuity is fair and based on stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

Insurance companies are the biggest legal scam on the planet. i had my insurance down to under 300 fully comp im a guy in.my 30s, im also a driving instructor and have numerous other extra advanced driving qualifications to my name. anyway bout 2 years i get my renewnal and is gone up by over 150 no accidents or claims ever. i ring and ask why and im told its because of al the flooding in the west of Ireland that winter, i ask cars being flooded. im told no houses and property! now if thats not a scam i dont know wot is, my car insurance in Dublin went up cos soneones house got flooded in galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 seamie87

Now what we need for true equality is equality between the sexes in workplace deaths and suicide.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/car-insurance-for-200000-women-to-increase-by-300-3258956.html

Because sexism against women is completely disallowed but sexism against men is ok and not really a problem. Positive sexism. What a wonderful world we live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

This is all you need to know,

It's a money grab.

Same as the penalty points grab: "higher premium if you have penalty points. Same premium if you have no penalty points"

Is there not an Ombudsman to sort out these inequalities?

Lordfranto wrote: »
    Insurance companies are the biggest legal scam on the planet. i had my insurance down to under 300 fully comp im a guy in.my 30s, im also a driving instructor and have numerous other extra advanced driving qualifications to my name. anyway bout 2 years i get my renewnal and is gone up by over 150 no accidents or claims ever. i ring and ask why and im told its because of al the flooding in the west of Ireland that winter, i ask cars being flooded. im told no houses and property! now if thats not a scam i dont know wot is, my car insurance in Dublin went up cos soneones house got flooded in galway.
    Remember 9/11 ?

In this part of the world (ROI/UK) the government pay out for terrorist damage

Our premiums went up despite ZERO risk.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭TheBoss!

bluewolf wrote: »
    Because it has nothing to do with equality, it should be based on stats. Much like women paying more to purchase an annuity is fair and based on stats.

Only a neanderthal cavewoman would believe that women should have cheaper car insurance.

Your suppression of us men based on our weaknesses is coming to an end, do you hear me, an end!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

TheBoss! wrote: »
    Only a neanderthal cavewoman would believe that women should have cheaper car insurance.

Your suppression of us men based on our weaknesses is coming to an end, do you hear me, an end!!

And he's off. Welcome back, Pete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Blatant profiteering. Women need to start shopping around until things get back to a fairer situation. Some companies are reducing male premiums to meet in the middle.
    bluewolf wrote:

As far as I know, the law around annuities has changed as well.

Stark wrote: »
    As far as I know, the law around annuities has changed as well.

Yeah, I think that's stupid too. We clearly live longer, it only makes sense to charge more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

TheBoss! wrote: »

Bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭phoenix0250

The insurance system in Ireland is ridiculous and over-priced to begin with.

Firstly, its silly that both you and the car have to be insured. Ie. even if your bike is insured your wife cannot drive your car or you are insured but cannot drive your friend's...this creates an unnecessary limitation of who and when drives what.

They have a great system in Australia where you pay a fee covering both motor tax and insurance (both depending on the type of vehicle). Done!... vehicle taxed and insured with anyone able to drive it (as long as they have the required licence of course) This erases age +gender discrimination and makes it fair as insurance is compulsory and no type of people are being ripped off. All for ~€250 a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Well to be fair (statistics or not) you shouldn't charge men more because they're seen as bad drivers. That's like a company hiring a woman because there's more chance of her getting pregnant and needing time off (in relation to pregnancy) than a man.

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Well to be fair (statistics or not) you shouldn't charge men more because they're seen as bad drivers. That's like a company hiring a woman because there's more chance of her getting pregnant and needing time off (in relation to pregnancy) than a man.

Are you saying that a woman, is more likely than a man to get pregnant.:mad:
    Bigot, neantherthal, sexist, loud angry noises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭TheFruitarian

And he's off. Welcome back, Pete.

Yeah sure, I'd say you welcomed him back with the use of the report button. He was obviousily joking about the cavewoman thing. Guess his post last night winding you over modding CVP&L, when it used to be AH, must have hit a sore spot. What was it you said in reply, that you didn't know how you'd make Cmod now? Well, seems clear how you're gonna try anyway.

Journal have a Poll running on this at the moment:

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-women-men-car-insurance-635734-Oct2012/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Yeah sure, I'd say you welcomed him back with the use of the report button. He was obviousily joking about the cavewoman thing. Guess his post last night winding you over modding CVP&L, when it used to be AH, must have hit a sore spot. What was it you said in reply, that you didn't know how you'd make Cmod now? Well, seems clear how you're gonna try anyway.

Don't worry about it, anonymous third party. It doesn't concern you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

The insurance system in Ireland is ridiculous and over-priced to begin with.

Firstly, its silly that both you and the car have to be insured. Ie. even if your bike is insured your wife cannot drive your car or you are insured but cannot drive your friend's...this creates an unnecessary limitation of who and when drives what.

They have a great system in Australia where you pay a fee covering both motor tax and insurance (both depending on the type of vehicle). Done!... vehicle taxed and insured with anyone able to drive it (as long as they have the required licence of course) This erases age +gender discrimination and makes it fair as insurance is compulsory and no type of people are being ripped off. All for ~€250 a year.
    And decimates insurance companies profits here. Which is why, if we dont actually do something more than cry to joe duffy about it, it will never happen.

Same as it ever was.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

over charging men for insurance-fair
    over charging women for insurance-chauvinistic profiteering.

sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

No it's not fair to overcharge men - but I'm sure you'd like everyone to think it is.
    Guess his post last night winding you over modding CVP&L, when it used to be AH, must have hit a sore spot. What was it you said in reply, that you didn't know how you'd make Cmod now? Well, seems clear how you're gonna try anyway.
    Yeh Frada is just GUTTED that he doesn't mod AH anymore - even though he chose to discontinue doing so. And he was clearly serious when he sadly said he wouldn't make cmod, because it's SO important to him!!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Because it has nothing to do with equality, it should be based on stats.

You [females] shouldn't have to pay more for your insurance because of some boy racers.

Neither should I.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Sex is not the only factor that can be used to discriminate - what about ageism? - by this token then a 21 year old Nissan micra driver should only pay the same as a 51 year old Nissan micra driver, assuming both have held their license for 3 years. I am sure this is not the case though ( someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong.) I thought insurance was all about probability, if I'm less likely to have an accident, then I should pay less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

It should be done on an individual case by case basis.

A careful male driver should not have to pay extra for a boy racer.

It should not be done by race or gender ...but on your driving record.

Perhaps for the first year you should pay on stats...

They could also insist people do a better driving course and pass their own evaluated tests and pysch tests.

Women have tp put up with being asked 'will you have kids' in job ineterviews and THAT being used against us..

If there truly was genedr equality this would work....there isn't..

But glad you boys are starting to see the light 'GENDER EQUALITY ROCKS'...so maybe you remember that

Just to point out...no man is actually going to pay less............and Insurance companies have used the eu (WHO WERE STUPIDLY BLIND AT THE POTENTIAL PROFITEERING) regulation to rip more people off.

No man will actually benefit from this.

NOW LETS ALL SHAME BOY RACERS AND DRINK DRIVING...YOU F*****ERS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

If the stats showed that black and asian people were a higher risk should all of them have to pay more?

1210m5g wrote: »
    If the stats showed that black and asian people were a higher risk should all of them have to pay more?

The stats prove that traveller men in this country are much more likely to have a fatal car crash than settled men (around ten times more likely) . If it's ok to discriminate in favour of women when it benefits them against men, is it also to discriminate against travellers??

Some how I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Next up. Up the premiums of everyone to those found guilty of repeated drink driving offences. We would not want them to feel discriminated against as a result of their 'disease' now, would we?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

1210m5g wrote: »

It's ironic but the benchmark for true equality will only be achieved when it becomes illegal to discriminate against young white males.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

pmcmahon wrote: »
    over charging men for insurance-fair
    over charging women for insurance-chauvinistic profiteering.

sigh.

No, what we're complaining about here is how both rates weren't set in the middle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement