Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 screen - literally just had repaired, fell off 2 feet onto carpet, broke.

• 15-10-2012 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

literally just got my screen fixed a week ago on my 4. I took it out today for the first time since its been fixed. It was sitting on my desk while I made a phone call on the landline, elbow knocked it off the desk.

It literally fell about 2.5 feet, onto carpet. Its cracked across the screen and chipped the outside part. This includes the black (plastic?) frame around it.

Now for what Im wondering; if I bring it back, could I state that inferior parts or shoddy workmanship or something were used? This was 80 quid to fix last week, and it broke after falling onto carpet! I am very disappointed. What options, if any, do I have? If you look at the image, that shouldnt happen, no matter what.

229834_10151271099067008_1254366730_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

There's nothing you can do. Get a bumper for it. Literally...you're screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Yeah, you dropped it, it broke. I don't see how you'll have any success with arguing the point out. No harm in trying, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

You must have some carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Have you thought about getting a really thick rubber case? I know they don't look particularly cool, but you seem to be really bad at not breaking iPhones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

On carpet? Mine has fallen onto wooden floors, tiles and even concrete many many times with nothing more than just one tiny chip on the front edge.

I'd bring it back. If there's nothing you can do at least try anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

There's no way that just hit the carpet, it must have hit leg of chair/table/plug/etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

2 screens in two weeks on a top tier phone :confused: some people & iPhones should never have got together in the first place.

...... and that damage could not possibly occur from a 2 ft fall onto carpet. Not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Why the negativity folks?!?

AS I STATED, it fell on carpet. Granted, cheap office carpet, but carpet none the less. This is why I believe the person that repaired it used inferior parts. This should not happen off of that small a drop like it did. Is there that possibility, how could I prove it, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

You can prove nothing. Best hope is for good will on their part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Africa wrote: »

AS I STATED, it fell on carpet. Granted, cheap office carpet, but carpet none the less. This is why I believe the person that repaired it used inferior parts. This should not happen off of that small a drop like it did. Is there that possibility, how could I prove it, etc?

What negativity? The only thing that's certain is that you dropped your phone. If you can prove that they used shoddy parts then good luck to you. Without knowing what way it fell, how it hit the ground etc. no one could really know if it is as a result of shoddy workmanship (Ted!) or just one of those unlucky things that can happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

You may believe "the person that repaired it used inferior parts" but the reality is you dropped your phone and chipped it. To drop an iPhone once and crack the screen is unfortunate, but to do it a second time, so soon after getting it repaired, is sheer carelessness. And while I, and many others here, sympathise with the position you find yourself in, it was your own fault and you have to take that on the chin and learn from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭Soarer

Can't imagine a carpet doing that damage tbh.

More likely there was a little pebble nestled there and it was just **** bad luck that the phone landed on top.

Don't think you'll get anywhere with the shop either. Even if you dropped it on a fluffy pillow from 6 inches, the fact is you dropped it and it's impact damage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If bring it back and complain. Sounds like it wasn't repaired. Did the repair work come with a warranty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭xpletiv

naasrd wrote: »
    You may believe "the person that repaired it used inferior parts" but the reality is you dropped your phone and chipped it. To drop an iPhone once and crack the screen is unfortunate, but to do it a second time, so soon after getting it repaired, is sheer carelessness. And while I, and many others here, sympathise with the position you find yourself in, it was your own fault and you have to take that on the chin and learn from it.

Dont think you should be calling him careless regardless of what you think :/

Anyway, thinking that you should give it a go seeing if you can get it repaired. 4's, while fragile, should not break with that distance onto carpet. Sounds like a shoddy repair!

Hang on there. Dont call me careless.
    I guess my question is, is it common for an iphone 4 to crack like that then when falling so little distance on to carpet?

If so, then I guess I cannot question the parts used to repair - Id have to question the (blatant) design flaw of Apples designers.

But if not, then it has to be the part that was used to 'repair' my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Hang on there. Dont call me careless.
    I guess my question is, is it common for an iphone 4 to crack like that then when falling so little distance on to carpet?

If so, then I guess I cannot question the parts used to repair - Id have to question the (blatant) design flaw of Apples designers.

But if not, then it has to be the part that was used to 'repair' my phone.

You broke 2 screens in 2 weeks. That's hardly the bastion of carefulness, now is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

You broke 2 screens in 2 weeks. That's hardly the bastion of carefulness, now is it?

Ffs, it can easily happen to anyone! I've dropped my phone countless times on harder surfaces without a bother so I would assume that because it fell on carpet, it should've been ok and nowhere near this level of damage.

Bring it back anyway OP and try your luck. I think it should've been stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭Soarer

The picture shows that the plastic "rim" around the outside of the screen has been damaged too. That wouldn't have been "replaced with inferior parts" by the repair guy, so we can assume that it's an original part.
    The damage/indentation caused to that could never be caused by a carpet.
    Your phone landed on its edge, right on something solid. That's what caused it.

As a matter of interest, how did you break your first screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Buy yourself a cheap bumper will save the screen from further damage in the event that it drops again.

The repairer isn't going to replace it free of charge if it's out of your own negligence, I know I wouldn't.

The edges of the iPhone screens are made of plastic(OEM or not) it most likely would have broken the same way if it was an original part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

naasrd wrote: »

4 years with my iPhone and never dropped it once. Not a single time. Not even on a soft carpet. Being careful saves a lot of problems.

• Advertisement

There does seem to be an air of arrogance and self praise in this thread...

I didnt break the first screen; it was received in that condition.

Despite what everyone here thinks (seemingly ignoring what Ive typed up...), it was dropped onto carpet. It most likely did land on that edge, but I think that that is very poor quality and a (in my mind purposefully!) poor design on Apples part if this can happen. I doubt I will buy another Apple product due to my experience with this design, and the things I have seen on others phones. I always just thought that people were careless with their iPhones as I have seen a lot of broken screens, but now I know first hand (this is the ONLY screen that has ever broken on me) that its the poor design that leads to the breaking.

Ive bought a case for it now, in an attempt to stop the cracking more. I am extremely disappointed by the brand new phone, and apparently the iPhone 5 is just as bad. More money into the apple machine for replacements. Couldnt believe the amounts quoted to fix this either.

Im going to have a go at fixing it myself. €5 for the glass screen from ebay for all the parts needed as well.

There does seem to be an air of arrogance and self praise in this thread...

I didnt break the first screen; it was received in that condition.

Despite what everyone here thinks (seemingly ignoring what Ive typed up...), it was dropped onto carpet. It most likely did land on that edge, but I think that that is very poor quality and a (in my mind purposefully!) poor design on Apples part if this can happen. I doubt I will buy another Apple product due to my experience with this design, and the things I have seen on others phones. I always just thought that people were careless with their iPhones as I have seen a lot of broken screens, but now I know first hand (this is the ONLY screen that has ever broken on me) that its the poor design that leads to the breaking.

Ive bought a case for it now, in an attempt to stop the cracking more. I am extremely disappointed by the brand new phone, and apparently the iPhone 5 is just as bad. More money into the apple machine for replacements. Couldnt believe the amounts quoted to fix this either.

Im going to have a go at fixing it myself. €5 for the glass screen from ebay for all the parts needed as well.

You'd do well to get the screen for €5, it must be the touchscreen only? iPhone 4/4S Touchscreen & LCD go for around about €40. You will have a very difficult time detaching the LCD from your broken touchscreen and reattaching it to the new one, if this is the case.

Can you link the item you bought of eBay? I suspect you might have bought the iPhone 3G/3GS touchscreen as that price sounds about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

Im going to have a go at fixing it myself. €5 for the glass screen from ebay for all the parts needed as well.[/QUOTE] well this wont end well op if you have never repaired an iphone 4 my advice is dont start now they are not easy to repair,no mather what youtube shows you

Looks like a shoddy Chinese seller you could be waiting up to 4 weeks for that screen. That's the least of your worries as taking the LCD from the touchscreen on the iPhone 4 is a pain, which is why they are sold as one assembly.

I have some touchscreen & LCD combos in stock if you would like me to repair it I'll charge for the part only (if this is ok with the moderators).

Advertisement