Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Offline Mobile Google Maps

• 15-10-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Have 2 questions as regards the offline caching feature in google maps:

1) If you zoom in the area to cache does it mean you get more info on that area? So instead of taking the whole of dublin to cache you might take the area just north of the liffey and a second cache of just south?

2) Is there anyway to integrate "my maps" that you have created into off line cached maps for viewing without data?

Basically I'm going on holidays. I want to create a "my map" to mark the locations of tourist sites, restaurants, bars, coffee shops that I've found online before I go. I want to cache the city that I'm going to and somehow layer over the my map with all the places noted down and view the whole thing offline without data?

Sorry if I'm not explaining this very well. Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Google maps has offline maps.

But its easier to use something else

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-3-free-offline-gps-apps-android/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

arsenal wrote: »
    Have 2 questions as regards the offline caching feature in google maps:

1) If you zoom in the area to cache does it mean you get more info on that area? So instead of taking the whole of dublin to cache you might take the area just north of the liffey and a second cache of just south?

2) Is there anyway to integrate "my maps" that you have created into off line cached maps for viewing without data?

Basically I'm going on holidays. I want to create a "my map" to mark the locations of tourist sites, restaurants, bars, coffee shops that I've found online before I go. I want to cache the city that I'm going to and somehow layer over the my map with all the places noted down and view the whole thing offline without data?

Sorry if I'm not explaining this very well. Any help appreciated!

I can't find any way to add "my maps" to the offline map. I'm not sure about the detail - I've used a couple of offline maps but wasn;t too concerbed about detail.

BostonB wrote: »
    Google maps has offline maps.

But its easier to use something else

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-3-free-offline-gps-apps-android/

He knows Google maps has offline maps. That's what he's asking about.

That article is also completely out of date - caching is much simpler now.

I've tried both Mapdroyd and Navfree and they're hit and miss at best, not what you need in a strange place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Google offline maps are simple, options, make available offline and it shows you the area you are caching, the further you zoom out the more it caches. To certain limits. Quite small limits. Not that useful IMO. But you can't do an entire country for travelling. You have to do chunks at a time which is a pain tbh.

For me Navfree works better than google maps. Google is wrong quite a lot in my local area where Navfree is right. And you can download whole countries.

Maybe theres an update to this that makes that article and the way I'm doing it incorrect. If so please let us know whats out of date and how to do it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe this can help

support.google.com/gmm/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2650380

Viewing saved maps offline
    To access a map area that you’ve downloaded, tap Maps > My Places > Offline
    Your location: To locate yourself on the map while you’re offline, use "My location" and compass mode. As long as you have GPS activated, you’ll see your location as a blue dot on the map. Note that Wi-Fi and cell-based "My location" will not work.
    Streets and maps data: Your downloaded map area includes streets and maps data. Zoom in to see a detailed view of your offline map. Certain features such as satellite, terrain, indoor maps, and 3D buildings will not be available offline.
    Features that require a network connection: Features which require data connection--such as directions and Navigation--aren’t available offline.

Or use one of the many free options and put your favourites there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭bluferbl

I was using my Nexus as a GPS in the States recently. I had stored offline maps for the areas I would be visiting. I would choose the destination while I was in WiFi coverage before heading off. Only problem was that it wouldn't take me back where I came from without having a data connection again...not very good when you're now miles from where you started. Installed Navfree and it worked like a charm...highly recommended (for California anyway).

Advertisement