Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor + NVR switch earthing

Options
  • 15-10-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'd like to wire a motor via an NVR switch. The NVR switch has only live and neutral terminals, i.e. no earth, and the casing is plastic. Should the earth from the power plug be carried through the NVR somehow to the motor (2HP, single phase, ~9amp)?

thanks for your help
    ziggy
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

ziggyson wrote: »
    I'd like to wire a motor via an NVR switch. The NVR switch has only live and neutral terminals, i.e. no earth, and the casing is plastic. Should the earth from the power plug be carried through the NVR somehow to the motor (2HP, single phase, ~9amp)?

thanks for your help
    ziggy

Yes. Unless the motor is double insulated it must have a CPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

ziggyson wrote: »

thanks for your help
    ziggy

If there is no earth terminal in at the nvr terminals and the motor needs an earth, then put a single connector from a strip of connectors inside the nvr case, and connect the earth from the supply to the earth out to the motor with that connector.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ziggyson

Thanks very much for the quick responses, that makes sense.

thanks again
    ziggy

Advertisement