Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radiators in Charlesland and the water drainage valve

• 15-10-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

does anyone knows where is the valve located to completely drain the water from the radiators?

I noticed four red valves in the hot press but they only close the water into the system and they are on the first floor so I am looking to locate the valve at ground floor level to drain the water from my radiators...

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

There is no valve to drain radiators:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Drain off valve1 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr
    Rad and drain off valve by pixbyjohn, on Flickr
    Have a look for one of these, first one should be at the lowest point in the system. second one would be at a radiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

can't see any of these in the house... can others confirm these findings, (talking about charlesland area).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

tp25 wrote: »
    can't see any of these in the house... can others confirm these findings, (talking about charlesland area).

I can't remember where they are (and I have moved house) but I can confirm they do exist, as we drained the radiators before.

bido wrote: »
    There is no valve to drain radiators:(
    None:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

does anyone knows where is the valve located to completely drain the water from the radiators?

I noticed four red valves in the hot press but they only close the water into the system and they are on the first floor so I am looking to locate the valve at ground floor level to drain the water from my radiators...

any ideas?

What an odd question...

Turn off the water feed to the system. Turn off the heating, disconnect radiator and pour into bucket.

Thumb up for your answer.

What an odd question...

Turn off the water feed to the system. Turn off the heating, disconnect radiator and pour into bucket.
    Its not really an odd question as all good central heating systems should have a drain valve at the lowest point that allows a hose to be connected to allow emptying in a clean procedure. Your method could cause dirty water to be spilled/splashed on the floor/carpet.
    Of course there are many houses with systems which do not have a proper drain valve so this could well be the case in Charlesland. ( I am not saying it is the case though before I am slated for having a go as in the past ;) )

I still can't find a drain valve in the house in CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Ask your next-door neighbour?

• Advertisement

Wont be in that house either:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I still can't find a drain valve in the house in CL

There should be a draw-off valve in your boiler, but that won't drain down what's below the level of that valve. You're probably stuck with having to drain from the radiator flow/return connection at all ground floor radiators (no other easy way of doing it).

Is there any particular reason you are doing this exercise? Just curious.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    There should be a draw-off valve in your boiler, but that won't drain down what's below the level of that valve. You're probably stuck with having to drain from the radiator flow/return connection at all ground floor radiators (no other easy way of doing it).

Is there any particular reason you are doing this exercise? Just curious.

yes there is a reason, the bedrooms upstairs seem to be rather cold (actually one of them), the radiator in that bedroom is a slim single radiator not much bigger than the one in the downstairs understairs toilet. I got two double radiators from my friend and I wish to updgrade the single radiators to the double radiators.

Also I am not happy with the location of the double radiators downstairs as they are located at the centre point of the house and not on the edges of the walls. They shouldn't be located at the present location, I wouldn't move the downstairs rad's as yet as too much work involved, just upgrade of the ones upstairs.

I'm thinking to add one of the single radiators (which I will have spare from the upstairs bedroom) under the boiler at the entrance (not sure if I will do it, possibly yes).

If I start with the part one of my project then your idea to drain at the boiler lever would suffice. - thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

I have had radiators upgraded from single to double and it was not necessary to drain down the system. You can use the valves at each end of the radiator to cut off the water supply. Then you only need to deal with the water in the radiator itself. I think they use rags to block off the ports and carry the unit outside to drain it.

p.s. I am not in Charlesland so maybe rads are different.

Cerco wrote: »
    I have had radiators upgraded from single to double and it was not necessary to drain down the system. You can use the valves at each end of the radiator to cut off the water supply. Then you only need to deal with the water in the radiator itself. I think they use rags to block off the ports and carry the unit outside to drain it.

p.s. I am not in Charlesland so maybe rads are different.

Thats ok and works fine if the new rads fit in where the original piping is but if you use different widths of rad then there is a problem or if you wish to install rads in a different position in the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,084 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Moved to DIY forum

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Moved to DIY forum

Does this valve on the attached picture looks like the valve to drain the water into the valve level? (its really slim nozzle)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Does this valve on the attached picture looks like the valve to drain the water into the valve level? (its really slim nozzle)
    That is the boiler drain cock if you open this into a bucket or to it will drain heating water to the level you require

Advertisement