Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which Asus transformer tablet? & where's cheapest?

• 15-10-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

So I am thinking of buying one of these badboys..

I am torn between the tf300 with the dock for 479.99 in Pc world or the Tf700 without dock from wherever's cheapest...

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I am torn between the tf300 with the dock for 479.99 in Pc world or the Tf700 without dock from wherever's cheapest...

Help!
    I have the T201 with dock.the only time I use it now is for when I travel on business. I can email photos from my cameras SD card and I get the luxury of extra battery life... otherwise the keyboard goes unused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Pop'n'Fresh

Help!

If price is a consideration I'd suggest you research where you'll be sourcing a TF700 without dock before doing anything else. AFAIK no brick and mortar store in Ireland currently stock the TF700 and Komplett.ie only sell the 64GB version bundled with the dock.
    Amazon.de sell the 64GB without dock for €545 + shipping. I honestly haven't researched other options myself but I know it's difficult to source so keep that in mind.

Next is deciding if the dock is something you’ll want/need. I use my tablet essentially as a laptop replacement - I have a desktop for any heavy use. So for message boards, emails, facebook etc the dock comes in very handy. It also works as a useful stand when watching movies or youtube. If you want to use a full sized USB port for flash drives, gamepads, external hdd etc. the dock comes with one but the tablet alone will need [URL=" http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Asus-Transformer-Prime-TF201-SL101-USB-OTG-Converter-Adaptor-Black-ZVUC070-/160890176010?pt=UK_iPad_Tablet_MemoryCard_USBAdapters&hash=item2575cd420a#ht_1182wt_958"] one of these adapters[/URL]. The dock also provides an extra battery (which continually charges the tablet until its battery is drained) and a full sized SD card slot.

If you’re still undecided then there’s the tablets themselves. The main difference between the two is their screens. TF700 comes with a full HD screen and Super IPS + display that can reach 600 nits of brightness (incredibly bright) and the TF300 has a lower resolution screen with only 300nits of brightness. Brightness isn’t really an issue indoors but some people have commented that the 300 does look a bit dim.
    The Tegra3 processor in the 700 is clocked higher but that’s badly needed to drive the HD screen. As a result the frame rate in some games drops below an acceptable level at their highest resolution.
    If you have good eyesight you will notice the difference with the high def screen, also reading and watching high def movies are more enjoyable on the TF700. That being said if you’ve never experienced high def you probably won’t realise what you’re missing and may be very happy with the TF300 :)
    The TF300 has a plastic/rubber back to it and is quite a bit thicker than the TF700 which has a spun aluminium back giving it a premium look and feel.
    Both tablets run JellyBean (latest android version) and should be supported by Asus in to the future.

That just about sums them up. There are LOADS of reviews online, one of my personal favourite reviewers is Lisa from MobileTechReview – check her out on youtube. She probably did a ‘smackdown’ between the TF300 and TF700 which will give you a good idea of the pros/cons to each tablet.

Happy Tablet Shopping!

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/phil240753

Unfortunately Lisa didn’t do a comparison between the TF300 and TF700 but she did compare the 300 to the Prime TF201. The Prime is like the Infinity without the HD screen and with poor WiFi and GPS (WiFi and GPS is fine on the Infinity TF700 so ignore that part).

TF201 v TF300
    TF300 Review
    TF700 Review

Use my referral link to purchase a Tesla product and we both earn free store credits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Thanks everyone.. I really can't justify the hefty pricetag on the Infinity.. I wish I could afford it.. Do you thin it's worth buying th TF300?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Got the TF300 (no dock) for 220 last night, like it so far,

Def be looking for the keyboard as well though

For the Price i just couldnt justify a TF700

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Got the TF300 (no dock) for 220 last night, like it so far,

Def be looking for the keyboard as well though

For the Price i just couldnt justify a TF700

Nice, where did you get it for that nice price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Nice, where did you get it for that nice price?

Second hand, gumtree, im afraid, saw aout 350 as standard on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tom_in_cork

ordered tf700 on amazon, should have it on Thurs. Hefty price but needs must and I got fed up looking for Galaxy Tab2

I bought the Tf300 with the docking station on Ebay for €430. It was amazing!! I am delighted with it.. ooh and by the way they are onsale for cheap in HMV (€460 I think)

Glad you're happy with your final purchase :)
    Keyboard docking station sure is handy right?

• Advertisement

PopnFresh wrote: »
    Glad you're happy with your final purchase :)
    Keyboard docking station sure is handy right?

It's so cool. It's been a long time since I have been so impressed with a new gadget :)

Advertisement