Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Deals: 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter Kit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

All over this as I ummm and ahhhhh over the ones posted last week sometime.
    But when I said yes the deal was over

Thumbsup from me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

Will this work in an apartment block? let's say I can have one plugged in my apartment, and the other one in another apartment in the same block?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

AFAIK They can have issues if not on the same electrical loop which I assume different apartments wouldn't be.

Amouar wrote: »
    Will this work in an apartment block? let's say I can have one plugged in my apartment, and the other one in another apartment in the same block?

Good point but looking at this I would say yes

http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/03/15/powerline-adapters-make-sure-you-use-encryption/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Always tempted to buy these, just can never figure out if i need them or not and how much they would improve performance.

Just moved into new house, waiting for broadband to be installed this week; wondering would these be suitable to let me have a NAS media server upstairs with modem downstairs. NAS is still in box, so i really don't know how it operates yet.

Figuring i could connect router/modem to one side, and server and printer directly to other plug thingy upstairs.

Might wait til BB is in and see what kind of functionality i get out of standard WiFi setup.
    Does anybody know with a NAS, would you generally have to connect directly the router, or can you use WiFi for them? I'd imagine direct link would be the ideal; in this case would these give that 'direct' link?

Sorry for rambling, hope that makes sense to somebody.
    Thanks
    DD

Ah well, I bought them anyway, hopefully not just another piece of tech that will never leave the box..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Ah well, I bought them anyway, hopefully not just another piece of tech that will never leave the box..

Doubt it, should be much quicker than wifi. I have a loads of the 200mbps ones hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Always tempted to buy these, just can never figure out if i need them or not and how much they would improve performance.

Just moved into new house, waiting for broadband to be installed this week; wondering would these be suitable to let me have a NAS media server upstairs with modem downstairs. NAS is still in box, so i really don't know how it operates yet.

Figuring i could connect router/modem to one side, and server and printer directly to other plug thingy upstairs.

Might wait til BB is in and see what kind of functionality i get out of standard WiFi setup.
    Does anybody know with a NAS, would you generally have to connect directly the router, or can you use WiFi for them? I'd imagine direct link would be the ideal; in this case would these give that 'direct' link?

Sorry for rambling, hope that makes sense to somebody.
    Thanks
    DD

If you don't/can't get good wifi around the house, then for sure you will use them. With a lot of new builds having aluminium coated insulation, this will have an effect on wfi strength. These will bring a strong signal to wherever they are placed.

Brought after I looked at Ebuyer
    They was nearly £40 but it wasnt that that sold me it was this

http://uk.tp-link.com/common/Promo/Uk/20120928/download/consumerClaimBack.pdf

Oh I do love a bargain with free stuff added on, not sure about the deal being applicable in Ireland but worth a go. And failing that I will just get it sent to family in UK or parcel Motel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

It's very easy to return something to Amazon as Unwanted within 7 days and get the full price you paid including delivery - you don't even need to enter into a discussion about it, just log into your account and generate the return authorization.
    All you'll need to pay is the cost of returning. Make sure you open everything carefully so you can pack it back into its box the same way.
    (I've bought and returned several things that didn't do exactly what I wanted, or I felt didn't perform as well as they should, and gotten a full refund).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Cheers just ordered these.
    I have the 200mps ones already in the house. These work brilliantly and for this price i would get them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

iggy wrote: »
    Cheers just ordered these.
    I have the 200mps ones already in the house. These work brilliantly and for this price i would get them.

These won't work with the 200 mps ones - you can't mix speeds AFAIK

long_b wrote: »
    These won't work with the 200 mps ones - you can't mix speeds AFAIK

From Ebuyer page
    Please note: networking components such as Powerline adapters require that all adapters must work within the same HomePlug standard to remain compatible, for example HomePlug AV (HPAV) adapters with communicate with other HPAV Powerline components, regardless of whether they are 200Mbps or 500Mbps. Older 85Mbps adapters work on the different HomePlug 1.0 standard & are not compatible with HomePlug AV adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Whoops - I sit corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

These are great, low latency, get all the speed from my line straight into my bedroom without tearing apart the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

I have 2 200's in the house, one connected the wireless router and the other to my ps3. works perfect for streaming from my NAS also (connected to the wireless router too. Ordered 2 more so I could hook up a couple more devices to the network (Smart Blu Ray player and laptop) for faster connections as my wireless can be a bit flakey some times and the blu ray needs an ethernet connection.

Would recommend these to anyone that has a nas and a ps3/xbox or whatever that needs good speed and has wireless everywhere else in the house..

Enjoy guys.. Oh, and nice find on the freebie extra, Bonus!!!

P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

not the place i Know but I have an old pair of 85mbps powerline, ones broken so i got a new set, someone might want the working one to extend their system?

i have tplink now and they arent backward compatible unfortunatley

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

lowelife wrote: »

Oh I do love a bargain with free stuff added on, not sure about the deal being applicable in Ireland but worth a go. And failing that I will just get it sent to family in UK or parcel Motel :)

Just read the T&C, only available to the UK... I hope the parcel motel will be in Galway before the offer runs out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Ordered them, and at a great price too. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The cashback offer pipped this across the line for me. A free four port switch which I have use for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Woohoo!! Free stuff!
    Will just get freebie delivered to friend in London if direct to here is a no-go. I'll go to endless amounts of effort to get free stuff ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I emailed the address in that link and it bounced - recipient mailbox is full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

just ordered to go with the 200 mbps ones i got last week.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭wer*

Price keeps going back up £39.41 when I try to checkout - am I doing something wrong?

wer* wrote: »
    Price keeps going back up £39.41 when I try to checkout - am I doing something wrong?

It should get discounted at final checkout

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

wer* wrote: »

Add to basket from the Lightning Deal.

I'm raging at this. Only last Wednesday I bought two pass-through 200mbps ones. Bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Is there anyway to use these to create a second wifi area?

I have a set currently for the 'Smart' TV and I'm wondering is there a way I could use another set to increase the wifi coverage? i.e. wifi at rear upstairs of the house is useless but the devices I use there would all be working wirelessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

donnacha wrote: »
    Is there anyway to use these to create a second wifi area?

I have a set currently for the 'Smart' TV and I'm wondering is there a way I could use another set to increase the wifi coverage? i.e. wifi at rear upstairs of the house is useless but the devices I use there would all be working wirelessly.

You'd need to add a wireless access point I think, tethered to your router. Some power line adapters have it built in. I know some UPC routers don't allow tethering though so read up on it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Ah just picked one of these up, with a gigabit router, so that i can plug in a few different devices. Hopefully, this will run faster that my wireless has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Did someone say that these have to be plugged into the wall socket/won't work plugged into a plug board?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

adox wrote: »
    Did someone say that these have to be plugged into the wall socket/won't work plugged into a plug board?

They work much better if u plug them straight into the wall and not into an extension lead

Advertisement