Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best iMac specs for video editing

Options
  • 15-10-2012 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I currently use a macbook pro but I'm looking to invest in something solely for video editing. What specs would be best for running FCP & AE? Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Anything that meets or exceeds the specifications recommended by the version of software you are using or intending to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

min 8GB RAM, ideally 16 GB

Going for the i7 (if budget allows it) - an iMac is a fair investment, you'd want to make sure you get a few years out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tactical wrote: »
    Anything that meets or exceeds the specifications recommended by the version of software you are using or intending to use.
    For video editing it's better to go greater than the recommended specs, especially when it comes to ram. For after effects they only recommend 10GB of hard drive space which isn't going to last you long and recommend 8gb of ram which will also become a ceiling pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

i've got a 3.1 processor and 8gb of ram which runs it perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I've got a 6 core 12 thread 4.0Ghz 3930k with 32gb of ram which struggles........

• Advertisement

I've got a 6 core 12 thread 4.0Ghz 3930k with 32gb of ram which struggles........

how does a beast of a machine like that struggle?

do you save everything to a external drive or your computers harddrives?

how does a beast of a machine like that struggle?

do you save everything to a external drive or your computers harddrives?

ramdisk for more than 3 streams of more than 2k video, else it goes to an SSD and is periodically manually moved to a WD black drive.

usb wouldn't have enough bandwidth..

I honestly have no idea why I have any problems at all, I'm probably going to go hackintosh with this pc, I've had so many problems with windows, regarding my gpu not waking from sleep and general sluggishness of this system that wasn't fixed with a total reinstall.

pc running FCP? or sony vegas?

pc running FCP? or sony vegas?

Can't run FCP on windows. Sony vegas, premiere, after effects

Can't run FCP on windows. Sony vegas, premiere, after effects

My laptop is a 2ghz processor with 4gb ram and runs after effects perfectly, thats rather strange.

• Advertisement

It is but I'll get it sorted eventually. I've a feeling my gpu is doing something dodgy, might RMA it, or better yet just try everything with an old one installed.

Advertisement