Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - The Heist

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

zeds alive wrote: »
    All good Mod , can I start a thread about hip hop and race? the 2 are inseparable.

No you cant open a new thread about it, there have been similar discussions before that have just turned into a sh*tstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

okay :)

Search out that documentary that paul mooney , features on , well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Niall_Buck

Macklemore's a brilliant rapper!
    The Heist is genius. The song 'Same love' would really make ya think! You really don't see songs with that kind of message in main stream hip hop very often, or ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

That a man who made something as insulting to our culture as Irish Celebration can be wildly popular and selling out shows in this country is pretty appalling. His music is ghastly on every level.

I don't get any sense of sincerity from his music (probably because he steals Slugs delivery wholesale). A tune like 'Same Love' just seems like a grab for attention to me. Lemmie see what message for the downtrodden will get me hype with lefty liberal media that don't like hip hop. It's hip hop for people that don't like hip hop. It's like one of those instructional anti-piracy raps telling you not to copy that floppy cos it's copyright infringement. Rap against rape. Black Eye'd Peas Where is the love? Why can you be more tolerant? Stop playing Postal 2 and give your sister a hug! etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

LUPE wrote: »
    I definitely like Thrift Shop and Can't Hold Us but as pop songs, like if it comes on the radio in the car you turn it up kinda songs. The rest that I've heard off it I can't get into at all, when he doesn't have a killer beat or hook he shows himself up as a thoroughly mediocre rapper.

You think this is mediocre, harsh fella.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Rjd2 wrote: »
    You think this is mediocre, harsh fella.:o

Genuinely yeah, tedious and monotonous delivery, nothing special lyrically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

That a man who made something as insulting to our culture as Irish Celebration can be wildly popular and selling out shows in this country is pretty appalling. His music is ghastly on every level.

I don't get any sense of sincerity from his music (probably because he steals Slugs delivery wholesale). A tune like 'Same Love' just seems like a grab for attention to me. Lemmie see what message for the downtrodden will get me hype with lefty liberal media that don't like hip hop. It's hip hop for people that don't like hip hop. It's like one of those instructional anti-piracy raps telling you not to copy that floppy cos it's copyright infringement. Rap against rape. Black Eye'd Peas Where is the love? Why can you be more tolerant? Stop playing Postal 2 and give your sister a hug! etc.

I think we Irish can be hypocritical about the whole drinking thing. We take offence whenever somebody else paints us as alcoholics, yet we take pride in our drinking ability when amongst out own.

And having a Mexican boyfriend for the past few 7 months, I've learned we are most certainly alcoholics in Ireland (not all Irish obviously but the culture as a whole us geared that way).

Now that said, I thought that song was kinda corny but I don't think we can blame others if that's how we are seen.

As for Same Love, I can tell you that as a gay hip-hop fan I find that song to be very authentic and genuine and in no way get the impression it's an attempt at attention seeking.

Perhaps when I heard the song first I may have gotten that impression, but after seeing the video you can see that it is 100% genuine.

I'm not going to lie, I was quite emotional when I saw it first - as a gay hip-hop fan I've had to accept that many of the genre's greatest have made music that was to varying degrees hateful of hurtful to me.

It was only the second time (after Murs' Animal Style) that I felt able to properly reconcile being gay and being a hip-hop fan.

I think the fact that they donated the song to the recent marriage equality campaign in Washington and the proceeds from the single (which was top 5 I think in Australia) also demonstrates their bona fides on the song.

I've seen some corny attempts by YouTube rappers to make a name by reaching out to the LGBT community before, and even David Banners attempt on his album with 9th Wonder - which while perhaps well intended ended up perpetrating an offensive myth about gay men just being damaged and confused.

Same Love isn't the same cynical type of stunt.

Advertisement