Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did we miss Origins giveaway ?

• 15-10-2012 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

I laughed out loud when I read this today, but then I was also disappointed noone here picked up on it and posted it :(
    I'd have loved to take advantage of EA/Origin, the system drives me mental.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/15/eas-origin-leaves-the-doors-unlock-looting-ensues/#more-127829
    As spotted by Kotaku, this weekend EA’s Origin had a sudden burst of not quite intentional generosity. As a thank you for completing a survey, a few customers were sent a voucher for $20 for the digital store, allowing them to download a free game. Except, well, EA forgot to make that code a one-time only thing. Can you guess what happened next?

Not only were those who legitimately received the code able to loot the store without restriction, but of course those codes could then be used by someone else. A close friend? A neighbour? No, of course, Reddit. Everyone in North America was able to plunder the store and download multiple games for free.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd guess the games all require you to login once to access them though; want to guess what EA will do with said accounts that abused it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Nody wrote: »
    I'd guess the games all require you to login once to access them though; want to guess what EA will do with said accounts that abused it?
    Nothing, the community manager has already said...
    We'll honor all sales made with the coupon code over the weekend and hope fans enjoy their games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

gizmo wrote: »

And on a related note, EA wishes the individual responsible for the error a happy unemployment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The conspiracy theorists might say it was a drive to get people to sign up for Origin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

It is a worthy sacrifice in retrospect :P , still raging I missed out on it though :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They gave away free games? Those devious bastards!! :pac:

Kiith wrote: »
    They gave away free games? Those devious bastards!! :pac:

Ehh no, Dead Space 2, Medal of Honor, Battlefield BC2, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2 etc etc ...not really "free" games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Call me cynical, but I can't help but think this is because they'd have no legal basis to do so. I can't see them doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

I saw it when it was still working but it was only for games under 20 euro, only one I would be bothered with would be 2142 but I already have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Battleborn

Hahaha ahh EA,will they ever learn?? sickened I didn't hear about this sooner but for anyone who did and took it,fair play to ya's :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So it seems that even when stuff like this happens, there are still some folk who aren't happy.

Some Gamers Are Really Pissed At EA For Screwing Up This Weekend

I'd ask does anyone feel that taking advantage of the promo code screw-up is wrong but I'm rather afraid of the answer. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

As far as I'm aware this offer only applied in the US and Canada anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I'd ask does anyone feel that taking advantage of the promo code screw-up is wrong but I'm rather afraid of the answer. :o

Not when it's EA imo. Otherwise, maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

We'll honor all sales made with the coupon code over the weekend and hope fans enjoy their games.

Im quite shocked to hear that from EA, they are usually quite liberal with the ban hammer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

As far as I'm aware this offer only applied in the US and Canada anyway.

I got it working. I switched my account location to US. I managed to get 5 free games with it. I was tempted to get more but I didn't bother as I figured EA would just remove them and it would be a waste of time. Wish I had kept going now. :)

I found out about it over on hotukdeals. Some guy there got all these and made 2 backup accounts as well just in case. I imagine he's sold the other accounts and made a few quid.

4f0ab2b3_Capture.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

And you didn't think to pass on the news to us here :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Fair play to EA, bit surprised at their decision not to take back everything.
    It does sound like a massive PR stunt though, but still, fair play.

call_voteban AlmightCushion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

REPORTED!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It pretty disappointing it was only limited to US and Canada. Europe never gets promotional things like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭KilOit

I got it working. I switched my account location to US. I managed to get 5 free games with it. I was tempted to get more but I didn't bother as I figured EA would just remove them and it would be a waste of time. Wish I had kept going now. :)

I found out about it over on hotukdeals. Some guy there got all these and made 2 backup accounts as well just in case. I imagine he's sold the other accounts and made a few quid.

4f0ab2b3_Capture.PNG

Advertisement