Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CK605

• 15-10-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here doing CK605? I'm looking to put this or LM118 as my first choice.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 HmmmIFeelNice

Gee, no one replyed yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Gee, no one replyed yet

But thanks for getting his hopes up that some one might have replied with something relevant to his question. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I just finished this course, what would you like to know about it?

Just keep in mind that the course was changed a couple of years a ago, about two years after I started, so it is slightly different now to what I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Is it a course you would recommend?? What are the jobs you could get into? Is work placement in Ireland or abroad

Is it a course you would recommend??

I would recommend it, but only if you are willing to put in the hours at it. This is by no means an easy course, but if maths and physics are your thing, then you should have no major problems with it.

You can still have fun in the course and since the class sizes would relatively small, you get to know everyone fast enough, which really pays off when trying to assignments.
    What are the jobs you could get into?

Depends on what your really interested in. You could go with the electrical side of things (as in very high voltage stuff, like transformers, three phase networks, etc..) and work in the ESB, Eirgrid or any number of renewable energy companies.

Or you could go down the electronic route (low voltage stuff, like integrated circuits, RF concepts etc..) and work with IC design, embedded design or system level design companies.

Or there are many other areas that you could go into that aren't directly related to the course like banking or management.

There are plenty of options open to you and by now I think the vast majority of my class have jobs and there are no shortage of vaccines for electrical/electronic engineers in Ireland

Is work placement in Ireland or abroad

There is some option to work abroad all right, but most of the jobs would be in Ireland. Usually you get to pick six or so companies that you want to work for from a list provided by the Careers Service and then the company would pick who they want to interview then. There is always the option to organise your own placement, but that usually requires a lot of work on your part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Thanks for that, I'm doing Chemistry, Physics and engineering for the leaving cert.

How complicated does the maths get ?

• Advertisement

How complicated does the maths get ?

Not a hell of a lot worse than Leaving Cert maths. It is mostly calculus (differentiation and integration) and algebra (linear equations and matrices) that is used, so if you have a head for those then, you should be able to keep up.

First year just takes up where the leaving cert left off for calculus and algebra, coving some of the basics and then moving onto slightly more advanced topics in them. Second year expands on those topics again. There is then applied maths stuff in mechanics and electromagnetic fields which can be a bit tricky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 seanson71

I've just seen a course at NUIG called Electrical & Electronic Engineering and when you consider the points for that last year were 455, we're gettin' away with murder for 410!! CK605 all the way....

Advertisement