Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What laptop for Logic or Protools...

Options
  • 15-10-2012 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Going to get in to either logic or protools and start making my own music. My current laptop is a pile of sh*t so getting a new one next week.

Mac or other?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

JajaD wrote: »
    Going to get in to either logic or protools and start making my own music. My current laptop is a pile of sh*t so getting a new one next week.

Mac or other?

Thoughts?

Logic is Mac only if that makes the decision easier ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

Yeah i know logic is only mac... i had protools before on a HP laptop but I just wanna know peoples thoughts on mac with logic/protools or protools on other laptops...

Basically, what are people using? Whats better?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

A recent CM survey of users had Pro Tools at 8 and Logic at 6. The top two were FLStudio (1) and Ableton (2). This was not a survey of which is best, just a numbers count.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

Unless you really need a new laptop, I would definitely recommend building your own desktop and keeping the laptop for what people need laptops for.

I personally built a desktop just for music last winter, works really well but that's probably a bit overkill for a lot of people.

Ah jeepers...im only starting out! :) I want to make music. Preferably my own beats, using actual real instruments and electronic beats. As i research more about different DAWs...im getting more and more confused. I think i might buy a macbook pro, get a mate to get me protools and do what i can with that.

Are there any good laptops that are just as good as macs?

• Advertisement

I use a mac myself, but mainly because I'm used to them at this stage and because I like the look of them :) but not because they're better.

But if you are going to be using pro tools, I wouldn't bother with a mac. Save yourself some money and get a similarly equipped PC/laptop.

Are you looking for something that you can bring with you to gigs/practice halls etc or will it primarily be bedroom stuff?

And have you factored in music interfaces etc to record your 'real instruments'? Because that is another added expense along with headphones/monitors.

I would highly recommend staying well clear of pro tools though. If I was going down the PC route, I would go with either fruity loops or ableton. Here is a link to the poll that Mordeith was referring to.

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/the-15-best-daw-software-apps-in-the-world-today-238905/15

Yes it's primarily based on who owns what as opposed to which is the best but at the end of the day, the more people that own it, the more tutorials etc there will be on youtube.

I have an mbox 2 interface that i used to use with protools. But i used it once or twice and never again. That was 5 years ago now. Since then i have taken it out again but my protools cd is cracked but still have the mbox 2. Will an mbox 2 work with ableton? Everything seems so difficult and confusing. I think i remember now why i gave up 5 years ago. Im a good musician, good at rhythm, ideas etc, but when it comes to converting that to a computer I get so frustrated.

Well the good news is that there are demos available for both ableton and fruity loops. the ableton one is 30 days i think, with fruity loops you just can't use the save button which isnt that important if youre just trying something out.

That being said though, if you have pro tools you may want to stick to it? The one thing that is worth mentioning is that it probably isn't the full pro tools that you have, but the M-powered version. I dont know what the difference is as I dont use pro tools.

What kind of music are you going to be doing?

If it's mainly live band type stuff, perhaps stick with pro tools. If it's primarily electronic music, I'd go the ableton/fruity loops/logic route.

Takes a bit of getting used to, but there are 1000s of tutorials on youtube which are really helpful.

Im into every type of music. I want to record acoustic/electric guitars with amps and stuff. Im after getting into electronic/dance music big time recently and want to start making dirty, dark electronic music :) Im sure ill figure it out... post-hair pulling stages :) Thanks.

It's always interesting to look at the forums at other peoples studios for inspiration/jealousy!

http://forum.anjunabeats.com/topic/9650-official-studio-pictures-thread/
    https://logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21848&sid=300612f23ba5ced58401179d7d0808c3

EDIT: My vote still goes to Logic :) Just depends on budget etc

• Advertisement

Yeah, ive spent the last hour looking at logic tutorials. Looks good. Can see myself locking myself away and spending hours at it. Thank god im recently an unemployed graduate. Have hours of fun ahead of me!

:eek:

Advertisement