Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting off in Astrophotography...

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Stunning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Beautiful. I love the dark dust clouds you captured, loads of detail.

☀️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Have I catched Planet X !?

399685.jpg

399686.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Lens flare I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Optical artefact yes but stunning pic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Quick question lads, what do you use for image stacking for night sky shots ?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

I use deep sky stacker. it's free and easy to use.

Quick question lads, what do you use for image stacking for night sky shots ?

Same here DSS for starfields else Autostakkert / Registax / Fitsworks for Moon or planet shots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

From the DSS page
    Dark Frames and Dark Flat Frames
    The Dark Frames are used to remove the dark signal from the light frames (or the flat frames for the Dark Flat frames).
    With DSLRs and CCD Camera, the CMOS or CCD is generating a dark signal depending of the exposure time, temperature and ISO speed (DSLR only).
    To remove the dark signal from the light frames you use a dark frame that contains only the dark signal.

The best way to create the dark frames is to shoot pictures in the dark (hence the name) by covering the lens.
    The dark frames must be created with the exposure time, temperature and ISO speed of the light frames (resp. flat frames).
    Since the temperature is important try to shoot dark frames at the end or during your imaging session.

Take a few of them (between 10 and 20 is usually enough). DeepSkyStacker will combine them automatically to create and use a clean master dark or master dark flat.

:confused:

Really ? need to take pics with lens cap on ?
    I don't get the logic .. is it just to remove noise from the real black parts of the night sky in the final image ?

From the DSS page

:confused:

Really ? need to take pics with lens cap on ?
    I don't get the logic .. is it just to remove noise from the real black parts of the night sky in the final image ?

The idea is to remove the noise present in your camera light train, for darks anyway. Flats is the same expect its to remove the vignetting from your light train

• Advertisement
Advertisement