Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting off in Astrophotography...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Clear skies forecasted for tonight any where inland from the coasts or away from mountains ... :D

Yep - big plans for me this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Plans are afoot here too!
    Lots of moonlight in the sky tonight will mean no faint fuzzies getting imaged. There's always something that can be done though. Good luck guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

lol, scope cooling in backyard already.Might restrict myself to planetary imaging while my autoguider comes from US. Could try out that CCD real time collimation program. Either my SCT is the first one ever that doesnt demand constant collimation or my current collimation method is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I know its not much but im delighted! :D

Finally found The Andromeda! :D... hoping my stacks will come out nicely 2moro but heres a single frame from earlier.

D7000 , 500m , 1 second , F4 , iso 5000 ... with just a tripod :)

8126193758_fc1ba970a6_z.jpg

D7000 , 500m , 1 second , F4 , iso 5000 ... with just a tripod :)

Very nice! You should be able to crop that a little bit more and with a lot of stacking get a better resolution. Great job :)

On my side some bad news, got myself a (very cheap) second hand Astromaster 130EQ and bought the T2 ring + Adapter for Prime AP but sadly the 130Eq Focal plane is too long and i cant get focus :/

I will have to do eyepiece projection which i try with a DIY job and it works but resolution is nowhere near what im seeing in the eyepiece directly.

On the plus side im learning how to use an EQ mount (CG3) and got to see Jupiter and its moons and great views of the moon also.

• Advertisement

anyone else freezing their arses off while their exposures are being obliterated by big bad luna?

ThatDrGuy wrote: »
    anyone else freezing their arses off while their exposures are being obliterated by big bad luna?

It was pretty cold alright. I enjoyed observing some stuff with a friend before finally getting some usable subs when the moon went down.
    Would like to get one of these filters at some stage. Check out the customer review on the H-Alpha 7nm filter.

Not when you have an Alaskan Malamute Keeping your legs warm :)

15055410151289516506718.jpg

Woohoo! :D ... I'll gladly accept that for just being 1 second exposures! :D

8128396763_70b200a601_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/landscapeaddict/8128396763/sizes/z/in/photostream/

:D

Very nice. How many subs ?

What astronomy shop can you pick up a foot warming AstronomyDog in ?

• Advertisement

Very nice. How many subs ?

What astronomy shop can you pick up a foot warming AstronomyDog in ?

That was 200 lights , 20 darks and 20 bias. a few of the lights id say DSS didnt use thought as it was hard to keep in the centre of the frame as i had my tripod and lens at like an 75º angle to target it! ha

Malamutes are perfect, big and fluffy and they love the cold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

very nice photo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Guys,

What's the minimum cost for a Astrophotography set-up? Everything, camera, scope, software etc.

Thanks.

kraggy wrote: »
    Guys,

What's the minimum cost for a Astrophotography set-up? Everything, camera, scope, software etc.

Thanks.

It starts from couple of hundreds € (compact camera + tripod) and can go to thousands!

A good guide to start of:

http://www.astrophotography-tonight.com/topics/astrophotography-tutorials/

or even :

http://www.backyardastronomy.com/

Gots myself a 2nd hand Celestron AS-GT mount yesterday!! Delighted!

.... now...... time to read the instruction manual ... errrgH!

Anyone with any easy setup tips please shout :)

Exciting times ahead :)

Congrats Ian. Is that a CG5 then?

The more accurate your polar alignment, the longer your exposures before trailing. Concentrate on getting polar alignment as accurate as you can.
    You should be able to do a drift align using a grid overlay in liveview.

There are 3rd party apps for Canons (APT) that have drift align utilities, as well as a lot of other features. I read somewhere that Nikon don't release their drivers and as a result there are no such 3rd party apps for their cameras - is this true?

You should be able to find some help if you google for drift aligning with a Nikon. Also, get/make yourself a Bahtinov focusing mask - it will make focusing a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Gots myself a 2nd hand Celestron AS-GT mount yesterday!! Delighted!

.... now...... time to read the instruction manual ... errrgH!

Anyone with any easy setup tips please shout :)

Exciting times ahead :)
    that is a serious mount you got!
    looking forward seeing your work with it.
    like Tzetze mentioned polar alligement is cruical for AP but i think your one is equiped with polar scope?or am i wrong?

Yes guys , its a CG5 , and the guy had a polar scope in the deal for me too. 425 all in. Well happy with that considering its double that new...

Im gonna start reading the manual now as i barely now about setting up to polar alignment let alone what to do/press after that! ha

Never heard of any nikon apps unfortunately . Only a computer one that lets you control it via usb but i have a shutter release for that so.

Looking nice and clear for tonight so may get out and see what i can figure out with it after im home from college .

:D

Think im all set to have a go at something tonight :) ..

1. setup mount - level is out.
    2. Polar allign .
    3. Set to starting position.
    4. Mount camera and lens .
    5. Align to preset stars - adjust if needed.
    6. Go to M31 .... I did this indoors, i presume once it lines it up it also keeps tracking it yeah?
    7.Start shooting :D ....

Sounds like a good plan. I think the hand controller has a polar alignment routine since a recent firmware upgrade, but I've never used it. It might be of some use if you're not drift aligning.

Use the two-star alignment for calibrating the goto, with a further three calibration stars for pinpoint goto accuracy.

My scope is setup now also. Hoping to target a few globulars and maybe the ring nebula tonight - get a few more objects ticked off on the Messier list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

Took This tonight and Just wanted to know was it Andromeda (in The haze :D)

nanook5 wrote: »
    Took This tonight and Just wanted to know was it Andromeda (in The haze :D)

It is indeed. You should take shorter exposure to avoid star trail and then stack them with DSS ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

ye i will do ,next clear night,just couldn't find raw on my camera (until i finished:( ) so i just took long ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Im all set up here. Hoping to catch a few of the more northerly galaxies in UMa.

Then if I have time and the cold hasnt killed me I might try M1, Crab Nebula.

Gonna use a Skywatcher ED80 and maybe try the 8" (200P) Reflector. Mounted on a Meade LXD55,just polar aligned.

Hoping it all goes well :)

Good luck. I am about to try and polar align my scope for first time ever. Going to be tricky me thinks.

:( .... Dovetail bar that I hav for the 500mm doesn't fit the mount ... Ah well ... Just some normal shots for me tonight ..

This is the single most dangerous thing i have ever seen. I cant believe it is standing up. Any ideas how I could move this beast ? The step to the left leads outside but im terrified to try it

http://i49.tinypic.com/35brsl5.jpg

hahaha!.. thats scary even to look at man!! , dunno how its supporting it like that!

Saw one nice meteor tonight.. dunno why my camera didnt pick it up though :/

Ah well.. heres one of Jupiter shining brightly :)

318799_551153958234323_1711641824_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

This is the single most dangerous thing i have ever seen. I cant believe it is standing up. Any ideas how I could move this beast ? The step to the left leads outside but im terrified to try it

http://i49.tinypic.com/35brsl5.jpg
    wow thats dodgy alright...i think one of the tripod legs is not properly attached???
    what size ota is that?you could try to hang some weights to the holder for some extra stability...

• Advertisement

Tripod is sturdy enough, it looks worse than it is because the central anchor is
    disconnected ( i was debating whether or not to try and move it outside) . The OTA is 11 inch, the whole beast by my estimate is about 65kg. I have some counterweights for it but its heavy enough as it is. I may have bitten off more than I can chew but Ill give polar alignment a shot. Prob should have sort of warning system in case that behemoth lands on me.

Advertisement