Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vespa - fuel efficient?

• 15-10-2012 5:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭

Howdy,

Getting a bit sick of traffic and th ever increasing fuel prices so would be interested in hearing your opinions on getting a Vepa for a commute from the city centre to Sandyford each day.
    Any idea how much on petrol this would cost a week?
    Are Vespas good bikes in general?
    Not really ideal for the Irish weather?
    Insurance cost (spprox 10 year car insurance, no claims on my car)
    Tax?

I know this post is somewhat vague but i am just thinking abot the idea today, cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Right I'm not from dublin and I've never had a Vespa so can't answer all your questions. I'll do my best though!

It'll be a lot cheaper than the car anyway.
    I'm on a bike everyday and wouldn't be too worried about the weather, decent gear makes it bearable.
    Your car insurance history won't make any difference to you, they only factor it in if its bad!
    Tax will be cheap. Think it was €49 last time I had a scooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Read the sticky at the top of the page.
    There is info there about licences, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'd say it would take around €15-€20 to fill a vespa and you would get somewhere in the region of 150km+ out of a tank? They're rough guesses for you to work off anyway. The bike will be cheaper in the long run but will cost you initially to get your license, insurance and decent all weather gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Wouldn't call them fuel efficent... But you'll use a lot less than in a car .... Good gear an essential... Rain proof and hi-viz....saw a really cool "rain cover" yoke .. It covered your legs on a step-through scooter ...get bigger than a 50cc if you can( you'll always appreciate a bit more oomph... And test drive the big wheel (Honda 50 style) and small wheel (vespa style) types .. I always reckon the bigger wheel ones are more stable...over potholes... Good luck...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I have an LML star 125cc for about 2 years now.

At the moment, costs about 10-12 euro to fill it (at just shy of 170c/litre here in Cork) and I get up to 140/150km on a tank.
    Tax is 55 for the year, and decent gear makes it grand to drive in most weather conditions.

New, they're going for about 2500, but there's a few nice ones going on done deal/adverts at the moment as well.

Great bike, great fun to ride, and bulletproof engines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I have a PX 200 which I use when I'm in Dublin I just fill up the tank and it cost 12e. I would suggest you go for a second hand vespa if your licence will take it get a 150-200cc and avoid the autos; get one with gears. All in all its great for getting around the city, I do find it lacks power at times but I am used to larger engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Thats a decent commute, does it have to be a scooter. Why not look at the 125cc option might be better for you in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd always go for a 125, especially if you're heading out the N11. Although my mate does a similar commute, he wasn't interested in anything other than a 50cc and he's happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I had a 50cc and didn't feel that comfortable on the N11 on it so like others would vouch for a 125cc
    I have never put in more then a €10 to fill up
    If you have a car as well try axa I get cheaper bike insurance because I have car with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I had a 50cc and didn't feel that comfortable on the N11 on it so like others would vouch for a 125cc
    I have never put in more then a €10 to fill up
    If you have a car as well try axa I get cheaper bike insurance because I have car with them.

Yeah afaik axa are the only ones who do the 6 wheel policy. Others might do it aswell, not sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement