Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's this Chord??

Options
  • 15-10-2012 5:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi, does any body know the name of the chord below. Perhaps ignore the base note to figure it. It sounds good and I came across it in a tab so it must be a chord

Thanks.. Get posting:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Assuming it's in standard guitar tuning, the notes are (from low to high):
    E - A - C# - F

Therefore it's an F augmented major seventh chord (F+maj7 would be one way to write it in shorthand) in third inversion.

Alternatively, the C# could be read as Db (E - A - Db - F), which I guess would be a Db augmented with an augmented ninth, again in third inversion.

The first is probably the more common description anyway, but it technically depends on function/context.

Without the bass note E, the chord would be just (reading C#) Faug in first inversion, or (reading Db) Dbaug in second inversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Are you playing it as part of a song, or just figuring out the chord on its own?

If it's in a song, could you post the rest of the progression it belongs to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Assuming it's in standard guitar tuning, the notes are (from low to high):
    E - A - C# - F

Therefore it's an F augmented major seventh chord (F+maj7 would be one way to write it in shorthand) in third inversion.

Alternatively, the C# could be read as Db (E - A - Db - F), which I guess would be a Db augmented with an augmented ninth, again in third inversion.

The first is probably the more common description anyway, but it technically depends on function/context.

Without the bass note E, the chord would be just (reading C#) Faug in first inversion, or (reading Db) Dbaug in second inversion.

Thanks lads. U've been a help. Funny to think I wasn't called a troll for asking about chords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

LasTime wrote: »
    Funny to think I wasn't called a troll for asking about chords

We talk about music here, I like to think we talk about every single aspect :)

Advertisement