Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

406 2.0 HDi poor starting when cold

Options
  • 15-10-2012 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

I have an annoying problem with my '02 406 HDi on cold mornings - if it takes any longer than normal to start (> 1 second) then I get a load of white smoke for the first few seconds of running. It gets worse depending on how cold it is, sometimes taking up to 10 seconds of cranking to get it going (e.g. last January).

During the summer it starts fine, with no noticeable smoke. Only in the last couple of weeks has the problem returned. If the engine is warm it also starts fine. No obvious issues with fuel consumption or smoke at any other times (started using Dipetane so don't notice any smoke while driving now).

Last winter I got a few things done trying to solve this issue but to no avail:
    • New glow plugs (incorrect type were previously fitted, no improvement)
    • New fuel filter (no obvious improvement)
    • Starter motor reconditioned (slight improvement)

It's a 2.0 HDi 90 with the Siemens injection, so there's no lift pump. There is a primer bulb near the filter housing - when I look at this it usually requires a few pumps to get all the air out the system but it never seems to improve the starting issue.

According to specs the glow plugs only pre-heat for <0.5 seconds when temperatures are above zero so it's not surprising that replacing them didn't make much difference. I saw the glow plug light appear on very few occasions last winter.

What else should I look at? Could a faulty MAF cause problems like this? Could it be the injectors?

I've heard some mentions of air leak issues (e.g. fuel filter housing), but surely if it was that then using the primer bulb would solve the issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

I have this problem with my van. (A transporter) After new coolant temperature sensor etc. I've decide now that my starter is just lazy. Putting fresh fully sythethic oil in gives the greatest improvement. It basically has to hit 250 revs or so before it starts to inject diesel then it starts straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

I have an annoying problem with my '02 406 HDi on cold mornings - if it takes any longer than normal to start (> 1 second) then I get a load of white smoke for the first few seconds of running. It gets worse depending on how cold it is, sometimes taking up to 10 seconds of cranking to get it going (e.g. last January).

During the summer it starts fine, with no noticeable smoke. Only in the last couple of weeks has the problem returned. If the engine is warm it also starts fine. No obvious issues with fuel consumption or smoke at any other times (started using Dipetane so don't notice any smoke while driving now).

Last winter I got a few things done trying to solve this issue but to no avail:
    • New glow plugs (incorrect type were previously fitted, no improvement)
    • New fuel filter (no obvious improvement)
    • Starter motor reconditioned (slight improvement)

It's a 2.0 HDi 90 with the Siemens injection, so there's no lift pump. There is a primer bulb near the filter housing - when I look at this it usually requires a few pumps to get all the air out the system but it never seems to improve the starting issue.

According to specs the glow plugs only pre-heat for <0.5 seconds when temperatures are above zero so it's not surprising that replacing them didn't make much difference. I saw the glow plug light appear on very few occasions last winter.

What else should I look at? Could a faulty MAF cause problems like this? Could it be the injectors?

I've heard some mentions of air leak issues (e.g. fuel filter housing), but surely if it was that then using the primer bulb would solve the issue?

It could be a huge number of issues. On common rail diesels it could be a fuel pressure issue(leaking injector, worn pump etc). It could be an issue with the wiring for the glow plugs(again on common rail engines, the glow plugs become more of a factor the colder it gets).

Proper diagnostics(not just plugging in a computer) should lead to the issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

It could be a huge number of issues. On common rail diesels it could be a fuel pressure issue(leaking injector, worn pump etc). It could be an issue with the wiring for the glow plugs(again on common rail engines, the glow plugs become more of a factor the colder it gets).

Proper diagnostics(not just plugging in a computer) should lead to the issue.

As above. Its most likely a fuelling/injection issue. Get thee to a diagnostics machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Thanks for the replies.

If it was a fuelling or injection issue, wouldn't I have other problems though? After it gets moving it's fine - no smoke or anything. Then again I could just be used to how it's running if it's not as good as it should be...

I did notice the last time I started it (left outside for a few days), the starter was cranking very slowly compared to how it was a few weeks ago. I guess it was like this last winter too. So could it still be the starter?

@Ronnie Beck: I've heard bad things about putting fully-synth in an old car as it can loosen deposits, cause leaks, etc. Not sure how much truth there is behind it though. Have you considered replacing your starter or is the cost too prohibitive? I got quoted about €400 for a replacement for mine, and certainly don't want to fork out that much unless it's definitely going to fix the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

@Ronnie Beck: I've heard bad things about putting fully-synth in an old car as it can loosen deposits, cause leaks, etc. Not sure how much truth there is behind it though. Have you considered replacing your starter or is the cost too prohibitive? I got quoted about €400 for a replacement for mine, and certainly don't want to fork out that much unless it's definitely going to fix the problem.

Yours car's not that old.
    Having used both semi and fully synth I wouldn't put anything else into a modern direct injection turbo diesel. The engine runs so much smoother when it's cold on fully synth (5w 30 C2). I don't see why loosing deposits isa bad thing. Allows oil to get where it should. It's more of a old NA petrol engine thing I think. To stop oil going past your piston rings and causing you to fail on emmisions.

My injectors also have a 120k on them so it's likely that won't help things. They have a service life of 100k. I would recon them If I had the money. You'll get alot off your money back in fuel economy too but you would want to be keeping the car for a few years. Possibly the cause of my cold starting issues too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Hmm might consider fully synth next service then. It's done around 120k miles as well. The cost of getting the injectors reconditioned is what's putting me off looking at them too. I've no plans on changing cars so maybe it'll be worth it (if that's what is needed), but the timing belt is also due next year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

The hdi's are usually easy started when cold.
    They glow plugs are'nt used unless the coolant temp is below zero degs..but they are used to aid with smooth running for a few minutes when the engine starts from cold.
    As said above get it diagnosed by someone who can view live data and run various tests/checks.

Advertisement