Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restrictor Kit

• 15-10-2012 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭phoenix0250

Does anyone know a cheap enough place to get my bike restricted? Cotters & Bikeworld are charging crazy money (€350) for it. Naturally, i need the cert also.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

megabikes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Does it have to be a cert from an authorised dealer motorbike dealer or would a mechanics stamp do on a word document? Reason I ask is I know a fella who got a official looking word doc. and gave it in to his insurance and it was accepted about 2 yrs ago. Then get anyone handy with a bike to fit it (or not if you get me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Does it have to be a cert from an authorised dealer motorbike dealer or would a mechanics stamp do on a word document? Reason I ask is I know a fella who got a official looking word doc. and gave it in to his insurance and it was accepted about 2 yrs ago. Then get anyone handy with a bike to fit it (or not if you get me)

The official factory restriction cert from suzuki is only a word document anyways.
    Put it in yourelf and just get someone else to sign it. There's some fella on ebay selling them cheap enough, cant remember his ebay page though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I done the same. Bought off ebay and got my Dad to fit it for me and sign the documents then send them off to insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

Check with your insurer whether they think they need to see a copy of some sort of cert or if they'll only accept the manufacturers restriction cert - I hear some do and some don't ask for anything.
    The restriction cert doesn't have any legal standing and your only responsibility is that that bike is actually restricted as per your license. From that point of view a mechanics stamp is as good as anything.
    I wouldn't be too keen on forking out €350 for a few washers and a sheet of paper, especially when the license rules all change on the 19th Jan.

• Advertisement

MrScootch wrote: »
    Check with your insurer whether they think they need to see a copy of some sort of cert or if they'll only accept the manufacturers restriction cert - I hear some do and some don't ask for anything.
    The restriction cert doesn't have any legal standing and your only responsibility is that that bike is actually restricted as per your license. From that point of view a mechanics stamp is as good as anything.
    I wouldn't be too keen on forking out €350 for a few washers and a sheet of paper, especially when the license rules all change on the 19th Jan.

Added a bike to my insurance policy (Carol Nash) and they had no interest in seeing restrictor cert. They added the bike and said it was assumed that I was licensed to ride it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Try NDM he looked after me a while back. Can't remember it been up around 350 at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

was just going to start a thread on this myself as i may have something lined up thanks for saving me the bother OP.

I'll be ringing Liberty in the morning to see what the story is.

Is this a similar situation to where a few years ago when they introduced the law that a learner driver had to have a fully licensed driver in the car at all times, my insurance company at the time said that may be the law but it was nothing to do with them and I was still insured in a crash if I was by myself in the car.

Do they actually make you prove you have a restrictor or is that up to the driver to get fitted if the law requires you need one, i.e are you still insured without the restrictor.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭phoenix0250

Liberty is insisting that I send them "proof that i have the right licence," specifically that the bike is restricted. Not too keen on restricting it, but if i dont provide them with the cert they will cancel my insurance (its ridiculous as legally the onus to prove that the bike is restricted is on them, not me)

Any mechanics around then that can sort this out?

P.S. Seems like a long-shot but, does anyone have a link to the statute, where the law is written, confirming that indeed it is not my responsibility to prove that it is restricted, but the insurance firms' responsibility to prove that it is not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

It's up to you to get one fitted but if you crash and you didn't have one, technically you're not licensed for the vehicle and the insurance company would use that to try and get out of paying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭phoenix0250

It's up to you to get one fitted but if you crash and you didn't have one, technically you're not licensed for the vehicle and the insurance company would use that to try and get out of paying out.

Im slightly despondent about restricting it, but hey, if it needs to be done, it needs to be done...i just dont fancy shelling out 350 quid to do it tho, so looking for somewhere cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Liberty appear to be the only company who insist on seeing the cert. Your insurance does not become magically void in the event of a crash, there are plenty of factors taken into consideration.

€250 is the cheapest I've heard of for getting it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Dead right....everyone knows what the insur-ants are like. They would and will use any little tactics to avoid paying out. Its not worth it unless its an old bike with not much value IMHO.

This is the ebay place me mate got his from

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Honda-CBR-600-F-Carburettor-Model-Restrictor-Kit-33-BHP-certificate-/320995348040?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4abcd04e48#ht_941wt_1344

As it says in the ad, Liberty insurance wont accept DIY restrictions.
    Just get someone else to sign it or any mechanic ya know and I presume you be grand :s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Liberty appear to be the only company who insist on seeing the cert. Your insurance does not become magically void in the event of a crash, there are plenty of factors taken into consideration.

I had a restrictor kit fitted and a cert from an indi bike mechanic for €150 I think it was. Let me know if anyone wants details and I can dig out and PM on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

just off the phone to liberty. They wont transfer insurance without a cert. It can be from an independent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The insurance company can't refuse to pay out 3rd party claims if your insured. What they can do, if you're ridding outside the conditions of your licence, is sue you for any money paid out to and not cover your claim. This is a civil mater and the onus of proof lies with you to prove that you where legal on the bike, the insurance company don't have to prove anything.

The FI International kits where £250 when I got my bike done a couple of years ago, with the Euro falling against Sterling and it taking about an hour to fit €350 isn't too bad for an official restrictor. BTW you aren't paying £250 for a the kit, mine was a throttle stop 50mm long, your paying for the knowledge of how to restrict the bike without completing messing it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

This is the ebay place me mate got his from

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Honda-CBR-600-F-Carburettor-Model-Restrictor-Kit-33-BHP-certificate-/320995348040?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4abcd04e48#ht_941wt_1344

As it says in the ad, Liberty insurance wont accept DIY restrictions.
    Just get someone else to sign it or any mechanic ya know and I presume you be grand :s

I got mine from him too. Really nice guy too. I was emailing him about getting restrictors for bikes that he hadn't advertised on ebay.

I got mine from him too. Really nice guy too. I was emailing him about getting restrictors for bikes that he hadn't advertised on ebay.

yeah one fo the lads said he dead sound and easy to deal with.

what insurance company are you with and did they have any problems with you singing it yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 hwap

poleon motorbikes in trim does cheap restrictor kits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Give Paddy a shout in Paddys Pitstop he is just off the North Strand and a sound lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I got mine restricted from Poleon in Trim. Done me a good deal on a second hand kit. The insurance company never even asked for the cert. I'm with Liberty as well.

Advertisement