Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infant gaviscon question

Options
  • 15-10-2012 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

Hi guys,

A quick questio about infant gaviscon. We have been prescribed it by the doctor and baby has been on it a week. Seems to be working sometimes and not others. We noticed it is not mixing very well in the bottle. It coagulates and clumps together.

I make a batch of six bottles with 30 mins cool boiled water. I leave the bottles at room temperature and add formula as needed and give baby the bottle at room temp.

My question is should I or could I, add the gaviscon to the bottles of water when I'm making them up, as in filling the bottles with just water. The gaviscon will mix well with warm water and then I can add in formula as needed.

Can anyone see any harm in doing this? Will the gaviscon be ok sitting around in water for a fee hours?

Sorry long post. Tiredness has my brain fuzzled :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Eriopis

Have you been told to put the Gaviscon in the bottles? I'd be surprised if you were!
    Gaviscon works by sealing the top of the stomach with that sort of waxy clumpy stuff you're seeing in the bottles, it creates a physical barrier to prevent stomach acid refluxing back into the oesophagus.
    Ideally you'd give your child the Gaviscon directly into their mouth (spoon or syringe), and give milk separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Eriopis wrote: »
    Have you been told to put the Gaviscon in the bottles? I'd be surprised if you were!
    Gaviscon works by sealing the top of the stomach with that sort of waxy clumpy stuff you're seeing in the bottles, it creates a physical barrier to prevent stomach acid refluxing back into the oesophagus.
    Ideally you'd give your child the Gaviscon directly into their mouth (spoon or syringe), and give milk separately.

Thanks for quick reply. Was told by doctor and instruction leaflet to add it to the bottle. In breast fed babies you mix it and give it after the feed with sterile spoon/syringe.

Maybe it would be worth a shot giving it this way to Jack.

Thanks for quick reply. Was told by doctor and instruction leaflet to add it to the bottle. In breast fed babies you mix it and give it after the feed with sterile spoon/syringe.

Maybe it would be worth a shot giving it this way to Jack.

ah ok, maybe it's supposed to be given with the milk very quickly before it clumps.
    I'm a little out of date, my daughter is 7 :-) She has had severe GERD (Gastro/Eosophagal Reflux Disease) since birth though - at one stage we tried Gaviscon but she'd just puke up the plug of waxy stuff within the hour :rolleyes: She's been on high-dose Losec (proton pump inhibitor) since she was 2, this was after it got so bad that she was vomiting blood several times a day :( but all is well now and we're gradually weaning her off her medication :D

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Eriopis wrote: »

ah ok, maybe it's supposed to be given with the milk very quickly before it clumps.
    I'm a little out of date, my daughter is 7 :-) She has had severe GERD (Gastro/Eosophagal Reflux Disease) since birth though - at one stage we tried Gaviscon but she'd just puke up the plug of waxy stuff within the hour :rolleyes: She's been on high-dose Losec (proton pump inhibitor) since she was 2, this was after it got so bad that she was vomiting blood several times a day :( but all is well now and we're gradually weaning her off her medication :D

Sorry to hear about the trouble your daughter has had. I myself am on losec and find it very good. Glad to hear age is growing out of her problem. Hopefully someone on here has some experience of using gaviscon in bottles. Sick of trying to makeit mix properly. It seems to be near impossible. Thanks for your help.

the spoon/ syringe method sounds like its worth a try ;) Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm breastfeeding so I wasn't putting it in bottles of milk but to get it to mix (because it is a pain) I put my 15ml of water in the bottle throw the 2 sachets in and shake like mad! So maybe just try like that. I use warmish water and was making up 3 bottles at a time and popping them in the fridge. Also if you leave it sitting for a few minutes and then shake it dissolves much easier.

The other thing I do is throw the gaviscon in the bottle of just water I run it under the warm tap if its particularly clumpy.

I gave it for about 3 weeks but was making her constipation worse so had to stop but it did help with the (mild) reflux!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

My daughter was on this for a whole. We were told to put it in her bottle.
    So I'd make up the bottle abs just before I gave it to her I'd add the sachet of Gaviscob. Give it a shake and bobs your uncle. It never went clumpy on me!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Preparing the Galviscon while I had a howling baby reduced me to tears of frustration. Its like custard powder - totally resistant to water it seems. I didnt have to give it after every feed, just some so thats why I didnt make it up beforehand.

I was breastfeeding and used to give it in a syringe as a spoon+distraught baby meant most of it ended up on the floor/me. Either that or in a bottle on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

My youngest boy has been on Gaviscon since he was very young, He's over 9 months now. While I was bf, I used a syringe very unsuccessfully. Gp suggested mixing in a small amount of warm water and giving it to him in a bottle after a feed. Didn't work either! I switched to expressing so I could add it to his bottle's that worked ok for the gaviscon. However he was still very unsettled and needed comfort milk. On advice of Hospital & phn. He is also on Zanatc (prescribed in hospital).

I make up all my bottles with the water only (cooled boiled water), have my formula measured and ready. I heat his bottles before adding the formula & the gaviscon, I found they didn't mix well when it wasn't warm. He is still under the care of the hospital and we are back again in a few week's for another review.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

We had out daughter on Gaviscon from early as she had reflux and would only drink small amounts . We used Gaviscon for about 6 months and it made a massive difference .We made the bottles up with cooled boiled water and left them at room temperature . Then added the formula and Gaviscon sachet together at feeding time (at room temp). We just shook it all together and never had any issues with lumps etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement