Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busines for LC, without JC Business.

• 15-10-2012 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Okay so I'm currently a 4th and looking into subjects I can sit, other than the 3 core subjects, I would like to do German, History and Physics. Now, I obviously need a 4th subject.
    I'm between Geography and Business, I'm considering Geo as I was good enough at it(got a B) but I'm not a total fan of it. I'm considering Business as it would be helpful to have a Business subject and I heard it was the easiest of the 3. But would it be too hard without doing it for JC?
    Really, I'd be doing it as a "points" subject so I'd like to get an "easy" B and up, if that makes sense?
    Anyway, thanks for any help you can give me on this matter!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

There is a lot of learning in Business, so it won't be "easy"... but I don't think not having done Business for the JC will affect you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

ConorCBS wrote: »
    There is a lot of learning in Business, so it won't be "easy"... but I don't think not having done Business for the JC will affect you.

Sorry, I meant "easy" as in something compared to Physics, if that makes sense. How much of a disadvantage would I be at for not doing it at JC level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

It's not a problem, the only overlap doesn't really get asked at HL. I did both though and would definitely advise geography.
    It depends on the teacher, my teachers for both were pretty awful but in geography you just learn stuff off and rewrite it. In business you learn stuff off and have to put it in context (applied business question is compulsory) and sometimes compare them (e.g. compare limited companies with co-operatives). It's also REALLY boring, and probably pointless if you're not gonna do business after 6th year.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    It's not a problem, the only overlap doesn't really get asked at HL. I did both though and would definitely advise geography.
    It depends on the teacher, my teachers for both were pretty awful but in geography you just learn stuff off and rewrite it. In business you learn stuff off and have to put it in context (applied business question is compulsory) and sometimes compare them (e.g. compare limited companies with co-operatives). It's also REALLY boring, and probably pointless if you're not gonna do business after 6th year.

I just heard that Geo and History are very difficult together and because of that I'd prefer History over Geo. Is it possible to get a B in LC Geo with only getting a B in JC? Thanks for your help so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

Troxck wrote: »
    I just heard that Geo and History are very difficult together and because of that I'd prefer History over Geo. Is it possible to get a B in LC Geo with only getting a B in JC? Thanks for your help so far!

Your Junior Certs are pretty irrelevant with regards to what you get in the LC, in a subject like Geography anyway. It does not matter if you got a B for Geography in the Junior Cert. If you put in the work, you can get whatever grade you want.
    Sorry, I meant "easy" as in something compared to Physics, if that makes sense. How much of a disadvantage would I be at for not doing it at JC level?

I don't think it will be a disadvantage at all really. A lot of the JC course is on the LC course, albeit in more detail, but everything will have to be covered so I don't think it makes much of a difference.

• Advertisement

No problem! :) I actually did history too, and I got an A2 in geography and a B3 in history if that's any indication for you of the relative difference...history is just hard full stop, nothing to do with geography, though it is a lot to do with preference - I hated the subject and because they're both so information heavy, it can be difficult to study everything. I got a B in JC geo, and as I said I got an A2 so yeah it's possible, it's a very easy subject once you learn the stuff and know how you can adapt that information to suit the questions. :)

History, on the other hand, is a bit of a nightmare because it's so broad. There are 4 books to do (3 in full, 1 for documents) and we barely got it all done! If the history teachers in your school are good then it should be no problem though. :)

No problem! :) I actually did history too, and I got an A2 in geography and a B3 in history if that's any indication for you of the relative difference...history is just hard full stop, nothing to do with geography, though it is a lot to do with preference - I hated the subject and because they're both so information heavy, it can be difficult to study everything. I got a B in JC geo, and as I said I got an A2 so yeah it's possible, it's a very easy subject once you learn the stuff and know how you can adapt that information to suit the questions. :)

History, on the other hand, is a bit of a nightmare because it's so broad. There are 4 books to do (3 in full, 1 for documents) and we barely got it all done! If the history teachers in your school are good then it should be no problem though. :)

Thanks for all the information! Yeah, both Geo and History teachers in my school are pretty good(except a new one and I pray I don't get her next year).
    I'm pretty sure I'm set on Geo then. I have heard the stories of how hard the History work is but I do truly find it interesting so I'll just deal with it!

You should be fine then! Just make sure that your teacher does the project properly, in both subjects. My school has some problem with the geography one every year (despite one of the teachers having corrected for years!) and that actually cost me the A1 :rolleyes:, and if you're unsure with history I'd advise you to ask another teacher...I didn't do it for fear of offending my teacher if it got back to him, but my project ended up only getting 90/100 (I say "only" because the average is 89/100 :P) - just something to keep in mind! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

@Patchy, just wondering how far you were into the history course at this time in 5th year? We're nearly finished the democracy and dictators book lol.

You should be fine then! Just make sure that your teacher does the project properly, in both subjects. My school has some problem with the geography one every year (despite one of the teachers having corrected for years!) and that actually cost me the A1 :rolleyes:, and if you're unsure with history I'd advise you to ask another teacher...I didn't do it for fear of offending my teacher if it got back to him, but my project ended up only getting 90/100 (I say "only" because the average is 89/100 :P) - just something to keep in mind! :)

I will keep that in mind but I do know that the Geo project is planned very well and that people do relatively well in the project. I just remembered my friend's Dad teaches LC History so he could help me with it, which would be great. What exactly is the History project on? What era? Would "The life and times of Tom Barry" be good, we're studying him and his story is very interesting but there is also controversy over an event that I could get good info. on.

• Advertisement

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    @Patchy, just wondering how far you were into the history course at this time in 5th year? We're nearly finished the democracy and dictators book lol.
    Oh wow :pac: I remember we finished that book by Christmas of 5th year, but we skipped WWII, Anglo-American culture, France and technology of warfare.
    (This is why I was saying my teacher was awful :P)
    I will keep that in mind but I do know that the Geo project is planned very well and that people do relatively well in the project. I just remembered my friend's Dad teaches LC History so he could help me with it, which would be great. What exactly is the History project on? What era? Would "The life and times of Tom Barry" be good, we're studying him and his story is very interesting but there is also controversy over an event that I could get good info. on.
    Ah thats fine then :) I was raging with mine, my teacher had told us that kept happening and when I saw my project, I'd only lost marks in that section - heartbreak :pac: The project is on whatever you like! :D You just have to make sure it's not something like "How did Hitler contribute to the outbreak of WWII" because that's on the course, but make sure whatever you pick isn't on the course in one of the other books that you're not studying. Your teacher will know for sure but that project sounds fine. :)

Oh wow :pac: I remember we finished that book by Christmas of 5th year, but we skipped WWII, Anglo-American culture, France and technology of warfare.
    (This is why I was saying my teacher was awful :P)

Ah thats fine then :) I was raging with mine, my teacher had told us that kept happening and when I saw my project, I'd only lost marks in that section - heartbreak :pac: The project is on whatever you like! :D You just have to make sure it's not something like "How did Hitler contribute to the outbreak of WWII" because that's on the course, but make sure whatever you pick isn't on the course in one of the other books that you're not studying. Your teacher will know for sure but that project sounds fine. :)

Thanks for all the help but now teachers are telling me to keep on their subjects(the more unpopular ones). So now it's between Geo and Music...

So, not to annoy you but did you do Music? If not I'll just debate it myself.

Awwww you should do what you're most comfortable with, don't mind the teachers, you're the one who has to do the exams in the end.

I didn't, but that was because I did it for JC and didn't really like it. :P I was never very interested in playing instruments and I was awful at dictation and distinguishing a trumpet from a trombone. :pac: Really it would depend on how good you are at music - if you could do well in the practical you'd be fine and it'd be easy. Geography is pretty easy overall though!

Awwww you should do what you're most comfortable with, don't mind the teachers, you're the one who has to do the exams in the end.

I didn't, but that was because I did it for JC and didn't really like it. :P I was never very interested in playing instruments and I was awful at dictation and distinguishing a trumpet from a trombone. :pac: Really it would depend on how good you are at music - if you could do well in the practical you'd be fine and it'd be easy. Geography is pretty easy overall though!

Well, for the JC I got a C but my teacher said it was a borderline grade, that I really didn't have to try for it, if that makes sense? Also, dictation isn't on the LC syllabus as far as I know. My music teachers knows I have an interest in computers so she said I could do the Music Technology as part of my practical, which means I'd have to only play half as many songs, which would be nice. I honestly don't know.

Well, for the JC I got a C but my teacher said it was a borderline grade, that I really didn't have to try for it, if that makes sense? Also, dictation isn't on the LC syllabus as far as I know. My music teachers knows I have an interest in computers so she said I could do the Music Technology as part of my practical, which means I'd have to only play half as many songs, which would be nice. I honestly don't know.
    Yeah I get you :) Maybe have a look at the music syllabus and see if you'd like it? Music technology is meant to be good yeah :) The other thing is though that since you do physics you won't have an awful lot of rote-learning, so that could mean geography might not suit you, or it could also mean it'd be ideal because you'd have time for it. You could probably switch in the first few weeks if you weren't happy anyway.

Yeah I get you :) Maybe have a look at the music syllabus and see if you'd like it? Music technology is meant to be good yeah :) The other thing is though that since you do physics you won't have an awful lot of rote-learning, so that could mean geography might not suit you, or it could also mean it'd be ideal because you'd have time for it. You could probably switch in the first few weeks if you weren't happy anyway.

Well, my least favourite part, dictation will not be in it, then the only thing that I don't like is Irish music, always my downfall but I think I'll get over it...

Advertisement