Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat limping for no reason???

• 15-10-2012 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

I have a 3 year old tom cat who came in today limping. He can put his leg down when he wants and is still able to jump up on things etc..

It's just when he is walking around or sitting down he holds it up, i have given it a good check and can't find anything wrong and he also showed no signs of being in pain when i examined him. He was in an accident well over a year ago, he broke his leg very badly when a dog attacked him but that injury is healed up nearly two years now so it can't have anything to do with that.

Any theories?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

It could be the cold weather affecting it, can often happen with old injuries, ya know like old ladies complaining about their joints in the weather! Might be no harm to have checked out just in case he did something, it can be easy to re injure an area that has had problems in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

Our three-year old female had exactly the symptoms as your tom - both times she had cat bites on her paw pad! We couldn't see anything but the vet could feel it. A quick course of anti-Bs and she was back to her old self.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Likely cat bite abscess - get your cat to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

A cat doesn't limp for no reason. They're well known for hiding their pain well. Take him/her to a vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

My own male cat was limping badly a few weeks ago - Brought him to blue cross and he was diagnosed with a nasty abscess from a bite, and luckily the anti-biotics cleared it or else he would have to have an op.
    I think its hard to tell when a cat is in pain, some of them purr whilst in pain.
    Hope you van bring him to the vet & he is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Sounds like an absess - if it isn't swelled up already, it probably will soon.

My cat has had this about three times, plus one time he had a little thorn from a plant or tree embedded in his toe pad and had to get it removed. It was barely noticeable, you could just about see a little black speck in his pink pads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

The cats walking perfectly fine again, it's as if nothing happened. I found no marks on his leg what so ever so it wasn't a bite, i reckon it was probably the cold weather affecting his old injury.

He had no pain at all in his leg or surrounding areas and this isn't a cat that hides pain or discomfort, i know this from experience.

Advertisement