Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to invoice for work done?

Options
  • 15-10-2012 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I've just finished some festival work and have been asked to invoice them for my wages. I've never done this before and am at a bit of a loss as to all that should be included in this. Will I need to take care of tax in the invoice?

If someone has done this before and can give me some direction I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Search the web for sample invoices / templates. MS Office has some templates also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Yea, I had a look for some online. They don't really clear up my question regarding tax though. I'm unsure if need to take care of my own tax in the invoice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

dceire wrote: »
    Yea, I had a look for some online. They don't really clear up my question regarding tax though. I'm unsure if need to take care of my own tax in the invoice.

You charge for the service provided, and the appropriate amount of VAT in the invoice.

Your PAYE, PRSI and USC is for you to account for seperately as part of your returns to revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Moved from W&J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Stheno wrote: »
    You charge for the service provided, and the appropriate amount of VAT in the invoice.

Your PAYE, PRSI and USC is for you to account for seperately as part of your returns to revenue.

You only charge VAT in the unlikely event that you are already registered for VAT.

If this is your first time doing this you are very unlikely to be registered - or even need to be registered for VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Herbalist

OP you can find more information on VAT and Vat registration here:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/registration/index.html

bear in mind that VAT and the Tax you would pay as an employer or as a sole trader are separate as Stheno pointed out.

In terms of what to include on an invoice I would think:

- Company Name, Name, address, phone number, email for yourself / your business
    Your Logo if you have one
    - company Name, Name, address, phone number for your supplier.
    - A description of the services provided and when
    - The amount to be paid
    - Any payment terms agreed.

In order to encourage prompt payment I would advise to make the invoice as professional looking as possible. You could look up an invoice template, use an invoicing app or use an invoicing / accounting software which would also track income and expenses for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

as above but also make sure it says "Invoice" on it.

If using Word there are a load of Invoice templates available.

Advertisement