Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T&G Kitchen Splashback???

• 15-10-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wanting to put some tongue and groove in my kitchen, as my splashback. Does anyone know if you can get a pvc/plastic type, as it will be easier to wipe clean, than the wood/pdf painted type?

Thanks for your help!
    Littleme

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Shinnie0503

I got some dumapan sheets in Topline Doyle's in Carlow for my shower, instead of tiles. Would do the same job for splashback

http://www.dumaplast.be/en/brands/dumapan/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

little me wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wanting to put some tongue and groove in my kitchen, as my splashback. Does anyone know if you can get a pvc/plastic type, as it will be easier to wipe clean, than the wood/pdf painted type?

Thanks for your help!
    Littleme

Really?

Not an interior designer by any stretch of the word but surly this would not look good in a domestic sence. Alto make a wall coering that is used in commercial kitchens but it is very commercial and I assume you dont want to use UPVC soffit board.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

We created a kitchen splash back out of t&g wood earlier this year and it is very successful. Good primer and a couple of coats of washable paint and it is working out excellent and easy to clean.

A good tip is, before painting run a bead of caulk in the grooves and smooth it into the groove. The grooves in the t&g have small gaps in them as the wood is quite thin and not really accurately machined. Using the caulk fills the gaps and when painted gives a much better finish.

Also, due to heat and moisture, the wood will expand after a while. Leave it a few weeks and then recoat to finish it off.

I seem to recall I spotted some sort of plastic or plc wood type panelling in B&Q around that time, although didn't pay too much attention to it as the t&g wood was hugely cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

http://www.woodworkers.ie/prices/p_sheet_mdf.shtml If you scroll down this page you will find moisture resistant tongue and grooved MDF.

Advertisement