Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilapidated water mill Somewhere between Donabate and Skerries?

Options
  • 15-10-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

Hoping someone here can help.

There is an old Watermill, delapidated on one of the smaller roads off the R132 or the R127. Somewhere between Donabate and Skerries. The river it was on, i think is now mostly dried up, and looks more like a ditch. (That's the way i perceived it driving past)

I'm sorry i don't have any more info, but anything else may be more misleading then helpful. I have gone up and down so many of those roads on Google earth, i'm now sick of looking at it.

It's on the left hand side of the road when you leave the main road and head towards the coast.

There was a tree growing into it and out a window. a lot of brambles around it, and the water wheel is (I think) on the west side of the building..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It may be the one between Lusk and Rush on the R128 about 1km past Lusk/Rush station. It's on the left side of the road, on a dip at the junction with Spout Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It may be the one between Lusk and Rush on the R128 about 1km past Lusk/Rush station. It's on the left side of the road, on a dip at the junction with Spout Road.

Thanks Wishbone Ash :)

I think that's it. It doesn't look as nice as i remember, also it doesn't have a wheel.. (That i can see) I'm not 100%, but that may be because i had altered it in my head. Haven't seen it in about three/four years.

How new is that fence around it?

Sorry, that link was wrong.
    http://goo.gl/maps/N9r6R

Thanks a million, i never thought of posting that question here. That must be it, but it looks a lot better kept then i remember. The fron side of it looks slightly kept.

Are there any more water mills around there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

allyall U might want to change the link!!

Bogger77 wrote: »
    allyall U might want to change the link!!

Thanks :D I'm looking at early Christmas presents :):) I didn't copy the link for the map properly.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Nice pressie to be honest :-)

• Advertisement

Bogger77 wrote: »
    Nice pressie to be honest :-)

Ha ha thanks, Shipping is a bit much though.. :)

I'm not sure if that is the same watermill, it looks in too good condition. Although, i could be doubting myself at this stage, i've spent so much spare time looking for it on websites and google maps etc.. I can't believe i never thought of asking here before. :o

Seems to be a lot of protected buildings around that area (Whitestown)

http://www.viewdocsonline.com/document/na3wug Page 11

It must be it. Thanks again Wishbone Ash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Allyall wrote: »
    Haven't seen it in about three/four years.....

....How new is that fence around it?.....

...... it looks a lot better kept then i remember. The front side of it looks slightly kept
    I'd say the fence is there about 2 years. A lot of the hedges/vegetation in the area were trimmed back following heavy flooding and I think the fence was erected then. (That spot regularly floods).

There seemed to be some renovations going on at that mill a few years back but for some reason they didn't continue.

Thanks.

It must be it. I just convinced myself it it looked different. I thought it had a wheel. It would be a cool project to restore it, although i'd imagine it would cost a fair bit, and would take a lot of time..

Thanks Again for your help.

Advertisement