Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian Question(s)

Options
  • 15-10-2012 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

Looking for a bit of advice. Going to give the whole vegarerian thing a go (am 8 hours in so far :o ). Dont get me wrong. I love my meat but just want to try something different for a cuple of weeks/months and who knows. i might keep it on. More of a social experment than anything else though at the min.

Anyway i am a male in my 20's and currently in college and not a great cook.
    Sounds like a stupid question but what do ye eat for dinnear/lunch most days?
    Today i had a vegy pasta and was grand and all but i can see myself getting tired of that very quick. Any quick and easy things that a not so good cook can make?

Where should i be getting my proten from. Is it ok to relly on only eggs and milk (and maby fish - but dont eat that too often. -should i be eating more of it now i am trying to be a vegetarian?) or should i have more sources in my diet. Not the biggest fan of nuts or that though. Advice?

Thanks a million for replys in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Try these links first,
    Info : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=290778

and recipes: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=308383

You can start off buying Quorn and Linda mcartney meat substitutes if you want, so it's not a shock to the system.
    But I found one of the best things about going veggie was having to think outside the box in terms of food. I began eating things I'd never have eaten when I ate meat.
    Check out those links and try them if your up for it, or just start swapping parts of what you usually eat out. It doesn't have to be drastically different to begin with.
    There's a veggie version of every meat dish tbh. As for protein I eat a lot of beans and soya beans/products, and you can still enjoy your dairy until you go vegan :P

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Cheers. Links look great. Will look through them now. Should have really looked at sticked treads first :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Hello all.

Looking for a bit of advice. Going to give the whole vegarerian thing a go (am 8 hours in so far :o ). Dont get me wrong. I love my meat but just want to try something different for a cuple of weeks/months and who knows. i might keep it on. More of a social experment than anything else though at the min.

Anyway i am a male in my 20's and currently in college and not a great cook.
    Sounds like a stupid question but what do ye eat for dinnear/lunch most days?
    Today i had a vegy pasta and was grand and all but i can see myself getting tired of that very quick. Any quick and easy things that a not so good cook can make?

Where should i be getting my proten from. Is it ok to relly on only eggs and milk (and maby fish - but dont eat that too often. -should i be eating more of it now i am trying to be a vegetarian?) or should i have more sources in my diet. Not the biggest fan of nuts or that though. Advice?

Thanks a million for replys in advance

Regarding the fish, that would depend if you want to be vegetarain or prescetarian.
    Vegetarians don't eat fish.

As for easy things to cook, there's lots really. It depends on what you like to eat. If you are a student, do try the meat substitutes but don't rely too heavily on them, they can get a bit pricey if you have them for every meal.
    I find it good to keep dried lentils and beans in the cupboard, there are endless simple things you can do with them.
    Try making a nice curry with potatoes and chickpeas rather than chicken (buy the ready-made sauces if you don't feel like tackling the real thing ;)), try stir-fries, chilis, any kind of soup. Personally, I tend to cook a big pot of something, and then eat it for the next two days or so.

These days, I tend to go with salads for lunch ... have some leaves, some tomatoes, cucumber, grated carrots, beetroot, and feta cheese. Some warm pita bread and houmous dip to go with it and you're sorted :)

Advertisement