Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House plans Ideas needed

Options
  • 15-10-2012 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

HI
    Attached is a layout of the ground floor of a house I have planning for. Problem is that Im having second thoughts about the layout any ideas would be welcome i just feel the kitchen is the wrong way around think the dinning table would work better near a window. Any one have some solutions or ideas

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

if that north point is correct, id start by considering more southern windows to living and kitchen areas. ya i see your kitchen dilemma, there is definitely a solution here but you should go back to your arch it should start from that great big entrance hall and work its way southwards, getting rid of the living room angle at the same time.
    btw that is one big gaff! you could definitely pull a few walls in..

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭e30fitz

Thanks its something to think about with the hall ill have a look at that. the north on the map is correct are we allowed change the windows at the back of the house even after planning i didnt think it's that big a house we have a budget of 200000 got quotes of 168000 for builders finish for a b1 rating contemplating going direct labour to save money but not sure if I'd be able to bring it all together

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

your quote sounds too good to be true.
    I have started suggesting to my clients that they get a qs involved before planning. it may be worth considering..
    and You should NOT be changing things after planning, if at all possible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm not an architect, and have no experience with house building, so you may want to ignore everything I'm saying. But...

The utility room and WC is just odd to me. Presumably the utility room will have washer/dryer etc in there, and be a general storage area. It's also your back door entrance. With 3 doors into the utility room, you end up with not very much storage space, assuming you're going to put a washer and dryer under the counter top (which may be a faulty assumption). Why do you want another shower/toilet opening from the utility room? Is it for visitors? For people working outside and coming through the backdoor dirty? If you have a specific purpose in mind, fair enough, but I'd question when that shower would ever be used in most houses.

If you really want to keep an extra shower/sink/toilet, how about having it open in the (ginormous) hallway? That gives you an extra wall of storage space in the utility room, and you can always put just a sink in the utility room (for things like washing paint brushes/whatever).

The kitchen/dining room (your original question) is very long and narrow with southeast facing windows and the skylight. You've got the kitchen sink staring at a wall. As you already have planning, this may not be possible (or the laws of physics may prevent it), but if you could square off the corner between the kitchen and the family room, you could do something like the attached (done in MSpaint).

One other thing to note is those corner baths are a PITA to clean as you get older :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Hard to get a sense without sitemap and Elevations but my 2 cents:
    Sunroom - Remove wall adjoining Kitchen i.e. archway replaced by open plan, add a stove to heat that large Kitchen, Dining and Sunroom

Utility - Very busy with three doors, it may not look the best but I would put the door for the W/C off the hallway which would make the Utility much more usable.

Master Bathroom - Reduce Size of Bedroom and increase EN-Suite, 5350 is huge, 1650 is rather small I would go with 5000 and 1950 at least. The Corner Window is North facing, I would add glazing to the East or West.

Lounge - Again I would reconsider the glazing

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,493 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

what have you got upstairs?

as there are 3 bedrooms downstairs, is there only 2 upstairs?

kitchen glazing: one window to rear, one window to side
    remove arched opening to sun room and replace with nothing, leave open plan so that south west light gets through

you havent much option to change the kitchen and dining areas because of how you acess this room from the hall.

PM me for a quick sketch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

I would get rid of the WC in the utility all together and make it a decent size utility.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭e30fitz

Thanks everyone who reponded I now agree with two major points that were made get rid of the small wc and make the utility bigger (great idea) also make it more open plan by opening up that wall near the sunroom. I a bathroom and two bedrooms up stairs thinking of going direct labour route not sure about the other ideas. The point about the en suite and the bedroom is also something ill look at. Any thing else good or bad keep em coming>>>>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 professorA

Dont know if you have progessed to construction stage yet but here are some ideas:

I would definitley line up the front elevation projections by reducing the length of the master bedroom from 5350 to 4400 / 4500 roughly. I just think wider projections should stick out more to the front, in this case the narrow bedroom wing should be in line with the lounge or even in closer to the house.

Get rid of wc off utility, im always hearing from friends that they wished for a larger utility. the more storage units the better.

Swap Bedroom 03 with Bathroom so that there is no long distance to walk from the main living spaces to the toilet.

I know planning is granted but you could move the family room / sun room further towards the front of the house by 2000 or 2500, and open up the southwestern corner of the kitchen with a full height glass wall & doors wrapping around the southwest corner of the kitchen and running down towards the dining area. Add window to east elevation of kitchen. However this depends on the style of kitchen you want. You could have units along the eastern wall of the kitchen running down to the door into the utility with an island in the middle of the kitchen.

Advertisement