Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot open ports, ISP issue?

Options
  • 15-10-2012 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I am having an issue opening ports for a DVR, i'm using(or trying to) no-ip.com, as I do not have a static IP address with my broadband service-wicklow Broadband.

So far I have given the DVR a static IP address, and signed up for the 'No-IP Enhanced' service. Using their tutorials I have set up a host and set up the DVR to look at this, inc. my user name and password. the guide then says to make sure ports 80 & 34567, which I did under the forwarding > Virtual Servers section of my router which is is a TP link TL-WR541G. The router says the ports are open and enabled, when I try to test these ports with 'CanYouSeeMe.org' it says eg. 'I could not see your service on 149.5.XX.XX on port (80)
    Reason: Connection refused'.

I have upgraded the routers firmware, factory reseted & put in all router settings from scratch twice, followed the TP link and portforward.com guides to the letter and it still won't work. I used another port scanner(forget the name) that scans 400 ports or so at a time, and the only open one seems to be 53

I don't get it-I know that outlook is using port 110 for incoming mail, yet all the online scanners I try are saying its closed..:confused:

I spoke tot he DVR manufacturers tech support who tried the no-ip host, he could tell me near enough exactly where I was in Ireland but that he could not access the router as it was a port issue.

Could my ISP be blocking ports for some reason?

Anyway, I'm at a loss and and need some help or pointers with this in case I missed something as I only have basic networking skills, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

Have you done NAT redirection on the router? (aswell as opening the ports on the firewall)

have you tried the No-IP scan with your firewall off?

make sure and scan the ip and the no-ip address

What do you get then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Thanks for replying, got it sorted since. It seems the issue was with the broadband (wireless) antenna, even though I have the ports forwarded my router. The antenna was the issue.

They set up a PPPoE bridge connection instead of a dynamic connection between it and the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pma

glynf wrote: »
    Thanks for replying, got it sorted since. It seems the issue was with the broadband (wireless) antenna, even though I have the ports forwarded my router. The antenna was the issue.

They set up a PPPoE bridge connection instead of a dynamic connection between it and the router.

hi i have the same issue with the same isp as yourself, just wondering did you need to get WBB to fix this for you or could you do it yourself? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

pma wrote: »

hi i have the same issue with the same isp as yourself, just wondering did you need to get WBB to fix this for you or could you do it yourself? Thanks

Hi they sorted it over the phone. They opened ports fot the receiver on the roof (i think ) remotely. I also had an issue with the way my router (tp link ) got about ips address. The jist of it was that it should have got about ip using pppoe method ibstead of dynamicaly (I'm not explaining this well...I am on the phone so I will post more detailed explanation if you need it).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pma

glynf wrote: »
    Hi they sorted it over the phone. They opened ports fot the receiver on the roof (i think ) remotely. I also had an issue with the way my router (tp link ) got about ips address. The jist of it was that it should have got about ip using pppoe method ibstead of dynamicaly (I'm not explaining this well...I am on the phone so I will post more detailed explanation if you need it).

thats great, ill give them a ring on monday. Thanks for the info

• Advertisement
Advertisement