Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build not picking up GPU

Options
  • 15-10-2012 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I've installed my drivers, and everything else is working perfectly, but for some reason the computer isn't picking up my GPU. It says that it's running off the Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Ivy Bridge) which is obviously the CPU's onboard graphics. I have installed the disk that came with the Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 but it still isn't picking it up.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,

you never let me down! XD

Niall

EDIT: I've attached the screencap of what the HW Info SW is saying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

GWNiall wrote: »
    I've installed my drivers, and everything else is working perfectly, but for some reason the computer isn't picking up my GPU. It says that it's running off the Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Ivy Bridge) which is obviously the CPU's onboard graphics. I have installed the disk that came with the Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 but it still isn't picking it up.

Any ideas?

Thanks again,

you never let me down! XD

Niall

EDIT: I've attached the screencap of what the HW Info SW is saying.
    You plug the video cable (DVI, HDMI etc.) into the back of the graphics card, not the motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭GWNiall

oh...my god i'm thick...I'll try it and report back...

oh...my god i'm thick...I'll try it and report back...

Nothing shows up on the screen if I boot it with the HDMI plugged in to the Graphics card

Nothing shows up on the screen if I boot it with the HDMI plugged in to the Graphics card

You might need to go into the BIOS, click F10, F2, F12 or the DEL key during bootup. When you're there you'll probably need to change the primary graphics adapter to your graphics card.

Ill try that and report back

• Advertisement

Welll...I checked in the BIOS, and from the system manager in there it said nothing was plugged into the PCI Express slot, so I tried to change the slot that the card was plugged into on the mother board, but now it just boot loops. I changed it back, but to the same effect. It boots, all the fans turn on, the cpu fan comes on, the led on the case comes on, but nothing on the screen, then after about 5 seconds it reboots. Would you have any idea as to why?

Welll...I checked in the BIOS, and from the system manager in there it said nothing was plugged into the PCI Express slot, so I tried to change the slot that the card was plugged into on the mother board, but now it just boot loops. I changed it back, but to the same effect. It boots, all the fans turn on, the cpu fan comes on, the led on the case comes on, but nothing on the screen, then after about 5 seconds it reboots. Would you have any idea as to why?

You do have the PCIe connectors in, yeah?

I have the 24 pin connector plugged into the motherboard, and the supplemental power supply. I have 2 plugged into the gfx card aswell. It was booting fine until I changed the GPU from one pcie slot to another. I changed it back, but it's still bootlooping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I have the 24 pin connector plugged into the motherboard, and the supplemental power supply. I have 2 plugged into the gfx card aswell. It was booting fine until I changed the GPU from one pcie slot to another. I changed it back, but it's still bootlooping.

What 7950 do you have? The newer ones, like Sapphire's, have a 6 + 8 pin connector; I used the 8 pin to 2x molex adaptor (supplied with the card) for the 8 pin connection. Are you sure it's correctly powered?

I have the Sapphire Radeon HD 7950, Dual X, the one with 2 fans. But now the whole computer doesn't even boot, it is just constantly boot looping.

I press the on button and the power LED comes on, and the PSU turns on and the PSU LED turns on. Then the case fans come on and the GPU fans come on, then the CPU fan comes on, and then about 5 seconds later, the computer just turns off, everything, power LED, PSU LED, fans, and it restarts the process. I'm trying to get it fixed, but I've no idea what is causing it.

If I don't get it sorted, does anyone have any recommendations on what my paths are to resolution, who to bring it to, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Try clearing the CMOS. Consult the motherboards documentation on how to do it as it varies from board to board however it usually involves taking the battery out or using a jumper

EDIT: Got it working, I had only one of the 2 6 pin connectors connected. It's up and working now.

Thanks to all, you are amazing!

Advertisement