Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical exam?

• 15-10-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I was just looking for information from people who have emigrated to Canada in the past. I am researching it at the moment and I am confused as to whether I need a medical exam or not. Do you only need a medical if you are going to work in the medical profession or a health care job? etc. Any help would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

This is an old thread so you might not get a reply.

But if you are actually becoming a permanent resident and not going on a working holiday visa (IEC) everyone has a medical. If just IEC only health and childcare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** post and one reply split from over two year old unrelated thread to it's own for better, more up-to-date answers ***

• Registered Users Posts: 44 V8_man

You need a medical exam for most work permits, not sure about the working holiday visa though.

V8_man wrote: »
    You need a medical exam for most work permits, not sure about the working holiday visa though.

Not sure what most you mean?

For a WHV you only need one if working in childcare or healthcare,
    for a temporary work permit (got viaLMO etc) only needed if child or healthcare,
    for spousal temporary work permit only needed if child or healthcare,
    For Permanent residency everyone needs a medical.

So for majority of work permits you don't need a medical.

bstar wrote: »
    Not sure what most you mean?

For a WHV you only need one if working in childcare or healthcare,
    for a temporary work permit (got viaLMO etc) only needed if child or healthcare,
    for spousal temporary work permit only needed if child or healthcare,
    For Permanent residency everyone needs a medical.

So for majority of work permits you don't need a medical.

I arrived on a spousal temporary work permit, and I needed a medical. Two, in fact, by the time it was time for PR.

• Advertisement

did they give you a reason why? As they don't normally ask for one for that until the PR is in progress. The medicals are only valid for a year so if PR doesn't come though within the year you have to do a new one.

bstar wrote: »
    did they give you a reason why? As they don't normally ask for one for that until the PR is in progress. The medicals are only valid for a year so if PR doesn't come though within the year you have to do a new one.

no, but it MAY have been because I came via South Africa where I was living since I left Ireland in 07. Assuming they have slightly different requirements for each country (even though I am Irish). Otherwise I don't know.

On another note the notification email I got from boards.ie redirected to daft.ie for some reason. Bit of a glitch there I think ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

V8_man wrote: »

no, but it MAY have been because I came via South Africa where I was living since I left Ireland in 07. Assuming they have slightly different requirements for each country (even though I am Irish). Otherwise I don't know.

On another note the notification email I got from boards.ie redirected to daft.ie for some reason. Bit of a glitch there I think ...

Daft and boards are all part of the same company Distilled Media I believe so possible something went wrong.
    Erm nothing to add about medicals so I'll be on me way!

Yep the coming from SA thing would do it. The TB risk there is classed is higher so they screen everyone for all work permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Bernice101

Is getting a medical a requirement for someone with epilepsy or other long term conditions? If so I'm wondering does waiting for medical slow down chance of getting a visa? It can take several weeks to see the appointed doctor. Or is it tha case that once your application is accepted for processing it can take as long as required for the yea or nay? ie, that your application will get a provisional slot on the quota of visas for that year?

Does anyone know if the look unfavourably on folk with medical conditions? I know that "officially" this would never happin, but the reality for me [at least job wise] has not always been favourable. Of course i understand that the condition (for me epilepsy) has to under control/stable and one has to be fit for work.

• Advertisement

For which kind of visa?

For Pr the medical is to check you dont have tb, or anything and they assess your potential for costing the healthcare system alot of money. So epilepsy will go against you for PR as if they think you will cost over 60k over 10years it will be declined

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Bernice101

Its for IEC

Advertisement