Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the irish media have a unhealthy obession with death?

• 15-10-2012 9:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭

i was reading the times this weekend and in the first 3 pages of the weekend supplement there was an artical about abortion comming to ireland, one about assisted suicide and another about hiring contract hitmen....all in 3 pages. i nearly spit out my coffee.

it is dark and dreary enough at winter without adding to it with this in my opinion, having 3 articles in 3 pages all about death (and grim aspects of it too) is the apotheosis of iresponsibility. I think the irish media as a whole has a unhealthy obession with death. they always report car wrecks, suicides and everything.

what do you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Were you reading a supplement about the ill aspects of death?
    Haven't even noticed really

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Were you reading a supplement about the ill aspects of death? :rolleyes:
    Haven't even noticed really

no if u check it is realy true. they are death obsessed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Old journalism adage - "If it bleeds it leads."

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

i nearly spit out my coffee.?

Seriously?

Dean09 wrote: »
    Seriously?

yeah man. i was like rashad in your picture, in shock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Dean09 wrote: »
    Seriously?

As the OP says.....on a regular basis----:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Genuinely don't know what the "apotheosis of irresponsibility" means, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

What are you, fvckin five yours old?

'But why do people have to die mummy? It makes ickle me feel sad' <sniffle, sniffle>'

Gee Bag wrote: »

'But why do people have to die mummy? It makes ickle me feel sad' <sniffle, sniffle>'

I'm 13, what is this?

they could depress a nation. suicide rates are high enough without everyone having a dose of death served with there scrambled eggs and bacon on a rainy saturday morning in autumn....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

they could depress a nation. suicide rates are high enough without everyone having a dose of death served with there scrambled eggs and bacon on a rainy saturday morning in autumn....

Nothing depresses a nation as much as sh1t threads

yeah its a pity you cant post on all the other threads and your stuck just with this one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Have another bottle of vodka, OP - be grand :p

Well maybe the objective is to make more people see the sad reality of unnatural death; suicide, abortion, assisted suicide etc. and to prevent it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 eedie

'if it bleeds it leads' how true. sky news is the worst, those reporters are like vulters. but would we stayed tuned if it was all good news?

In all fairness, this guy actually created an account to reply to this thread :eek:
    eedie wrote: »
    'if it bleeds it leads' how true. sky news is the worst, those reporters are like vulters. but would we stayed tuned if it was all good news?

Welcome to the graveyard boards.ie mate

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Well maybe the objective is to make more people see the sad reality of unnatural death; suicide, abortion, assisted suicide etc. and to prevent it

they could depress a nation :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Not just death but RTE for example is the most depressing TV ch on the Planet, any tragedy and their on it like a fly to ****e. No wonder all the auld granny's do nothing but whine and moan. They should just have a black ribbon in the top right corner for the icon.

nocoverart wrote: »
    Not just death but RTE for example is the most depressing TV ch on the Planet, any tragedy and their on it like a fly to ****e. No wonder all the auld granny's do nothing but whine and moan. They should just have a black ribbon in the top right corner for the icon.

yes it is true rte is the apotheosis of a depressing channel. they are no better than the times for having noting but depression on the screen. if we had better weather it would be ok but it is dark and we dont need a dose of depression and death served in the morning with our fry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

People are obsessed with death, don't see why that wouldn't be reflected in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

kowloon wrote: »
    People are obsessed with death, don't see why that wouldn't be reflected in the media.
    Its gone beyond a joke. How many times have RTE reported on someone found dead and Gardi are investigating; only for that person to have died of natural causes. Wait until the guards set up a murder enquiry before putting it in the news; a 90 year old man found dead from old age is not news.

Its gone beyond a joke. How many times have RTE reported on someone found dead and Gardi are investigating; only for womenthat person to have died of natural causes. Wait until the guards set up a murder enquiry before putting it in the news; a 90 year old man found dead from old age is not news.

yes rte news is a death dealing entity...you get it in the morning in your newspaper over a cofee and toast and then in the evening with your pototoes and roast beef you get another big dosage of death in the rte news at 6

nocoverart wrote: »

I think you'll find that its the young ones that do the most moaning..well here anyway.

You'll find very little, if any, moaning here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1480

Chucken wrote: »
    I think you'll find that its the young ones that do the most moaning..well here anyway.

You'll find very little, if any, moaning here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1480

most of the people talkin about death are the older and that is the most depressin moaning. was in a cafe today and i heard too old ladys talking to each other at the next table. they were going on about all the people they know who died. nothing like having a serving of death along with a latte

Advertisement