Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession connection?

Options
  • 15-10-2012 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone,

Interesting forum , stumbled across it and have really enjoyed having a nosey around!

Forgive me if there is a similar thread or this has already been asked, but I’m curious and hoping to get peoples opinions! What do you think, Is there a connection between the economic downturn and the interest in survivalism? Do many people feel the need to prepare for the worst as a direct result of our dwindling economy? Or are Natural Disasters the primary fear? Or is it just a hobby with life saving benefits ?? Interested in hearing all perspectives!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

What am I preparing for??

Zombie Apocalypse, Baby ;)

Oh and all things in between, like for example another heavy winter storm that leaves us without power and water for a few days.

but yeah, can never be too careful about them sneaky Z's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

In the movies it's the really prepped guys who get got by the zombies... So I'm stumbling along in ignorance..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    What am I preparing for??

Zombie Apocalypse, Baby ;)

Oh and all things in between, like for example another heavy winter storm that leaves us without power and water for a few days.

but yeah, can never be too careful about them sneaky Z's
    Sorry i had to do it!
    BEDDDC23-9BB5-4606-A2C2-7718548A1728-3693-00000306DA99E605.jpg

Really tho, for me it fits my lifestyle, hiking, hunting, fushing, keeping in shape, camping ect ect ect

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'd guess that the economic downturn has played its part. Personally I've been relatively insulated from it (thankfully). I can't really say what my own motivation is other than some kind of built in desire to have reserves and the knowledge required to keep my family safe and healthy, come what may. When I examine the cold hard facts of it I think Ireland is probably one of the safest places in the world to be. Even if all supply lines were cut, we have enough land to more than feed the populous and a well educated populous at that. Pretty sure we'd be OK (and by OK I mean OK but not cushty like we have it now).

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭synesthesia

Zombies are coming - that's sure :)

But that is right - the recession could be the precursor of an economic collapse or an hyperinflation - better be prepared :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

[mod note] please folks, no more zombie references, there's a whole forum dedicated to that subject on Boards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Suesanne wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Interesting forum , stumbled across it and have really enjoyed having a nosey around!

Forgive me if there is a similar thread or this has already been asked, but I’m curious and hoping to get peoples opinions! What do you think, Is there a connection between the economic downturn and the interest in survivalism? Do many people feel the need to prepare for the worst as a direct result of our dwindling economy? Or are Natural Disasters the primary fear? Or is it just a hobby with life saving benefits ?? Interested in hearing all perspectives!

All the reasons you mentioned are valid, can you tell us your reason for interest in the subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I think it was a result of the economic collapse and reading about the collapse of the Argentinian economy got me interested in what might be ahead of us. Obviously the danger of euro collapse has lessened.

but I also like the whole outdoorsey, make and do aspect of it too. I bought some tent pegs yesterday and I am planning to use them and a tomato tin to make a rocket stove. lol.

Survivalism is like a mixture of woodcraft and paranoia. It also allow you the justification to but some cool outdoorsie stuff.

Its a win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

There's the (lazy) journo/ragmag/tabloid answer: We're all nutters who want to arm ourselves to the teeth in preparation for when the winged hordes invade from Mars after the Rover stumbles upon their colony.

And there's the reality:
    In Ireland we're prone to floods-I don't relish the thoughts of paddling down my road in a wheelie bin to find that the govt haven't supplied any emergency aid. Also, in winter, when unable to exit the M50 because of sheer ice, miles away from home, my bug out bag assisted greatly in getting me home. Also+1, every year my water gets cut off sometimes for up to three days. With two young kids, I chuckle heartedly when filling a pot from my rain water collector.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Seen this link about the reasons people prep with hurricane Sandy used to stress the point
    http://offgridsurvival.com/thisiswhyweprep/

• Advertisement
Advertisement